Author Topic: The Road to Surgery EDIT: 3 months post-op  (Read 11536 times)

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
Hi there,

I'm attempting to book a surgery to have my glands excised but I'm having issues getting a referral from my family doctor to see a surgeon. He refuses to believe there is anything wrong with me and repeatedly says that my extremely puffy nipples and protruding chest are normal and that he has no idea why it's like that. At this point I'm positive it's Gyne as I've been told on this website by doctor's that it is, as well as every possible sign that it is gyne is there. I've gotten pretty skinny but my chest has stayed the same, makes for a weirdly proportioned body...

I'm not sure how the process works, can any doctor refer you to any plastic surgeon? Or do certain doctors only refer to certain plastic surgeons?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:42:05 PM by AREM »

Offline Darth Menace

• Bronze Member
By no means am I a pro at this, but will try to help.

Where are you located in Canada?

Why not just go directly to the Plastic Surgeon.  I by no means think you have to be referred by a family Dr to see a plastic surgeon

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Sounds like you need to go to another doctor.  Any family doctor should be knowledgeable enough to recognize gyne when they see it.  If you are really sure you have it, and the doctor is balking at something that is obvious, then they are intentionally not referring you, probably because they fear being punished in some way for referring you for a "benign" condition.  In other words, the doctor is mainly watching out for himself, NOT for YOU!  So you need to look for another doctor. 

This is the way ObamaCare will also work eventually in the United States.  The government will decide what patients need, not their doctors.  And if the government says "No," then the patient will be out of luck.  Of course, most of the time, the bureaucrat in Washington D.C. making the decisions will decide exactly that.....NO!  This will especially be true for older Americans; those who are no longer productive in any way.  Rather than spend money on treating them with expensive tests, surgeries, treatments and medicines, the government will decide they are past their prime and they will be told to take a pain pill and join Hospice. 

As a result of this, up to 46% of the doctors in the U.S. say they will quit the profession rather than allow the government to tell them how to treat their patients.  If that happens, it will be disastrous, as there will no longer be an adequate number of doctors to serve the needs of Americans.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I'm not sure how the process works, can any doctor refer you to any plastic surgeon? Or do certain doctors only refer to certain plastic surgeons?

Dude...

You do not need a 'referral' to have a consult with, or be treated by, a Plastic Surgeon... If your GP is unwilling to 'refer' you, then go directly to a PS of 'your' choosing...

I know for a fact that Dr. Fielding does not require a referral from a prospective patient's GP. If you do decide to go with JCF, when you call you must say that you would like to see him in regards to Gynecomastia in order to be seen without a referral... Apparently, if you don't tell Leslie (JCF's office manager) what the reason for the visit is, they will then require a referral...

Cheers!

GB...

Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

DrBermant

Hi there,

I'm attempting to book a surgery to have my glands excised but I'm having issues getting a referral from my family doctor to see a surgeon. He refuses to believe there is anything wrong with me and repeatedly says that my extremely puffy nipples and protruding chest are normal and that he has no idea why it's like that. At this point I'm positive it's Gyne as I've been told on this website by doctor's that it is, as well as every possible sign that it is gyne is there. I've gotten pretty skinny but my chest has stayed the same, makes for a weirdly proportioned body...

Thanks!

My Canadian Patients with Gynecomastia do not need a referral.  They normally start out with our Preliminary Remote Discussion to minimize travel.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm located in Edmonton so I would prefer to get the surgery somewhere relatively close to home (Edmonton/Calgary) for the sake of both convenience and funding. I've been lurking these boards for people recommending doctors in these two cities, and every time I call any plastic surgeons I'm told that I need to be referred. So I suppose the better question to ask would be if anybody knows any Plastic Surgeons not needing referral who have some experience with this type of surgery...

I appreciate all your responses, Thank you!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Oh, okay, sorry, I didn't realize that you are in Edmonton...

Hmmmm, I'm surprised that the PS's that you have contacted, have made a big stink about being referred... What is it to them if you are not referred?

Have you tried Dr. Haugrud in Calgary? Apparently, surgery by Dr. Haugrud is FREE!!!  As per this thread...

Have a look at the last post in that thread mentioning Dr. Jonathan Toy at Coronation plaza Edmonton. His contact number is 780.758.3377....

Check it out dude...  ;)

GB...

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
So it seems both doctors (Haugrud and Toy) are causing a stink about getting referred... Guess I'll have to somehow convince my doctor to refer me. He's been trying to make me believe for years that it's "normal" and "nothing to worry about" when it's clearly not...  ???

Offline Idlewild

• Posting Member
I'm not sure how it works in edmonton, can you go to any walk in clinic and get a referral? I'd suggest trying other clinics if you can.

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
So went to see the doc today... It was almost as if he read this forum or something because he's taken a completely different stance on Gynecomastia... He was acted like it existed, was supportive and has a referral going into a plastic surgeon as soon as I get an ultrasound...

/Excited.   ;D

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Great to hear! Sounds like you're finally on the road you need to be on. 

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
So I got an ultrasound and all that jazz done... My doctor called Dr. Toy today and he apparently isn't accepting new patients and he wasn't accepting the letter of referral... Funny thing is is that I called myself and was able to sweet talk the lady into giving me an appointment on Feb 23rd without a referral or anything... Confusing haha

/Getting more excited

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
So I went into Dr. Jonathan Toy's office today (In Edmonton) for a consultation. The staff was incredibly nice so was the surgeon himself. He explained the process to me, exactly what he would do during surgery and was able to get me an appointment to have surgery done in two weeks! I was not expecting to get in that quick nor did I expect it to be 100% covered by Alberta Healthcare... So far, I strongly recommend him

He mentioned for my case that we would be doing an excision and that there would more than likely be no liposuction needed as my case of gynecomastia was isolated directly behind the nipple...

Feel free to ask questions if anyone wants more details!

;D ;D

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
Had my surgery this morning with Dr. Toy and overall it was an extremely pleasant experience.

Was booked in to arrive at the Misercordia by 8:15AM, got there at around 8 and got suited up and prepped by all the very nice nurses... I was told it would be about a 1.5 hour wait until surgery.

15 minutes later - to my surprise I was told that space opened up early as Dr. Toy's previous surgery had ended much earlier than anticipated... Got wheeled into the holding area where I met the anesthesiologist who explained the process to me, followed by Dr. Toy who was very nice in telling me what he was going to do.

The surgery itself was an excision of tissue in an area slightly larger than my nipple. No liposuction was done.

The rest was history as I woke up in the recovery room not even realizing that the surgery was finished. Other than the dizziness from the anesthetic, there is very minimal pain (less painful than a good chest workout) and I'm wearing some giant compression vest...

I'm excited and a little nervous to the see the results, hopefully it gets rid of this problem soon enough! It's hard not to get my hopes up about this quite yet, but I'm doing my best... Will keep updating...

Cheers all!

Offline AREM

• Posting Member
Hello all, I've got no replies however there are tons of views so I'm assuming people are reading about my experience... I visited the doctor for my follow-up appointment and he mentioned that my surgery went extremely well and that he excised about 7-8 grams of tissue from each side... I don't know if that is considered a lot or a little, but he seemed to think that it wasn't very much and said he took out all he could take out without creating a crater in my nipple...

The healing process is well underway, and there were a couple of days that my chest started to look incredibly flat. The underarmour compression shirt is getting incredibly uncomfortable and my nipples are beginning to puff out like they were before, however now they're hard and extremely tender... I'm hoping it's still swelling and that they will flatten out a bit more in the future...

Fingers crossed it keeps getting better...

Good luck to all!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024