Author Topic: Bermant or Pensler???  (Read 4311 times)

Offline rtyuii

• Posting Member
I have read through a lot of the surgery experiences on this website, and wanted to thank everybody who was brave enough to post pictures and share their stories.

I am 32 and have had visible gyno since 22 -- there is definitely gland and fat in both breasts.

I read through Bermant's website and and it looks very good.
Many on this site say that Pensler (in Chicago) is also good.

I live in Chicago but am willing to travel to Virginia if the results I get from Bermant would be better than Pensler.
If anybody is familiar with both surgeons, please feel free to share your opinion.

Another question I had was whether anybody who used Pensler needed a 2nd surgery?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:25:14 PM by rtyuii »

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
you could argue it was a ticklish question since the first good dr is a regular on the board and helpful somewhat frequently, like also dr jacobs from time to time, with advice ;) 

the best answer i could offer is i don't know much about pensler and don't remember seeing him discussed that frequently, you'd have to either visit his website or call his office to get a sense of how many gyne ops he does in a year (this site also has a search engine good for the last maybe 2 years of posts that you could use to find discussions of him or various other individuals ).  to bermant's credit, gyne seems closer to a specialty and he does it frequently.  nobody gives absolute guarantees, but experience goes a long way.  although it's usually possible to get good people near you, i too would be willing to travel for the benefit of experience if i were not satisfied with the options closer by. 

maybe others have thoughts beyond that, but looking over a website like you did, you didn't mention anything pensler had (?) and/or making a call can go a long way for answering questions too. 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:58:22 AM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline rtyuii

• Posting Member
thanks for the reply, it seems like bermant is more of an artist-sculptor-perfectionist type.

I just want these glands out, I can't take it any longer...

Pensler is local, and he is good, but I am wondering if good is enough?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
that's why i suggested it's the kind of thing other people can't really answer for you.  it depends not only on how particular you are but how severe you start.  people with bad cases are usually happy with 80-90% improvement.  somebody who's not as severe, like me, would want more precision because you also want there to really be some kind of improvement when it's over, otherwise why bother. 

if a person's reasonably experienced you'd probably be okay.  to get closer to an answer you'd have to investigate pensler, and with a quick look at the search engine it looks like he has been discussed occasionally, decide whether or not he qualifies for that, and if so, whether that is good enough for what you want for yourself or not.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:37:40 AM by headheldhigh01 »

Offline rtyuii

• Posting Member
thanks again for your response.

i keep on hearing about the 1-10 rating scale, but I would like to see pics of each of these numbers to get an idea of how severe my case is...

Offline EJ1990

• Posting Member
im having surgery with pensler on the 24th...ill post up some post op pics asap.

Offline rtyuii

• Posting Member
thanks EJ, did you research bermant or ever consider him?

Offline EJ1990

• Posting Member
no i never really looked into him..to me it looks like pensler is a good surgeon..i cant say hes better because its really a matter of opinion but pensler does 150 plus gynecomastia surgeries a year and he seemed very professional when i had my consultation with him on monday...people from all over the world come to him and hes also done a few chicago athletes and also a detriot lions linebacker.

ichthus70x7

I had a consult with Dr. Penslar and was not a fan.  i also talked to a couple people on here who had a bad experience with him.  I have chosen Dr. Turowski who is in Skokie, IL.  He does not do as many as Dr. Penslar claims to do, but after meeting with him, I felt that he was the man for the job.  His consultations are free as opposed to Dr. Penslar's $125 charge.  He also had some hidden prices that he did not mention until after my consultation.  I am not saying that he will not do a good job, but I had too many doubts that kept me from choosing him.

By the way, good luck EJ! I have my surgery next Friday with Turowski.  I will post pictures as well.

Offline rtyuii

• Posting Member
Thanks to everybody for their replies...

I have read on another thread about several negative surgical experiences with Pensler but I don't see anything specific on this site.

Can somebody direct me to these sources?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024