Author Topic: How Bad is it? Need Opinions  (Read 6308 times)

Offline jpart100

• Posting Member
Hey guys,
I just turned 17, and have had this issue forever.. really bothers me. I can feel a hard lump under my left nipple, not so much on the right. And as you can see from the pics, the left is much more puffy. I told my parents about the issue and they thought I was crazy, but after a lot of explaining they finally agreed to look into it, and we scheduled an appointment with a surgeon that my doctor recommended. I know that sometimes you can be more self conscious about your own body and imperfections may seem to stick out more, so I want to get others opinions. Is it bad enough that I should consider surgery? What also annoys me is that one nipple is much more puffy that the other, which leads me to think I definitely have a problem. Anyway here are the pics. I'm in pretty good shape and I work out a lot but this issue makes me very self conscious.
Front

puffy

as you can see the right is no where near as puffy

there is a hard mass and a lot of fat..

Offline digger

• Posting Member
Only you can decide what course you want to take. Frankly, if it bothers you, then yeah do something about it. Without sounding like a male thingy, the choice is up to you. Now to me, it's not that bad, but I am not you. Congrats on ballsing out to the parents so early.

DrBermant

Hey guys,
I just turned 17, and have had this issue forever.. really bothers me. I can feel a hard lump under my left nipple, not so much on the right. And as you can see from the pics, the left is much more puffy. I told my parents about the issue and they thought I was crazy, but after a lot of explaining they finally agreed to look into it, and we scheduled an appointment with a surgeon that my doctor recommended. I know that sometimes you can be more self conscious about your own body and imperfections may seem to stick out more, so I want to get others opinions. Is it bad enough that I should consider surgery? What also annoys me is that one nipple is much more puffy that the other, which leads me to think I definitely have a problem. Anyway here are the pics. I'm in pretty good shape and I work out a lot but this issue makes me very self conscious.

Even Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia can really interfere with a cut male look. Each person has their own tolerances for what they feel comfortable about their body. My men with a C or D cup breast would kill to get a contour like yours. Yet my patients with even more subtle puffy nipples are just as concerned.  There can be a great deal of Emotion Living with Gynecomastia. That video has been used by many to help educate their parents about the stresses of this contour problem.

However, this surgical sculpture can be quite demanding. Not all surgeons have the same skills.

I have posted on How to Pick a Gynecomastia Surgeon here:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16474.0

You really need to see many before and after surgery photos for that specific problem to assess that surgeon's skill with that problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Thanks for the photos.  It does appear that you have some excess tissue just behind the left nipple -- but that would have to be confirmed by a surgeon.  It is great that your parents are taking you in for an examination.

If surgery is recommended, make sure it is done by a surgeon who is experienced in gyne surgery.  Yours is a mild case -- but you don't want to take anything for granted -- even mild cases can be challenging in surgery.

Good luck to you!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline jpart100

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies. Honestly it seems worse in person. My parents don't think there is anything wrong with me but it really bothers me. Im going this week so I'll see how it goes... I hope I can just get rid of it already.

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
Thanks for the replies. Honestly it seems worse in person. My parents don't think there is anything wrong with me but it really bothers me. Im going this week so I'll see how it goes... I hope I can just get rid of it already.

I understand how you feel dude.. i already told my parents about it and they just ignored it.. they told me that i'm just being perfectionist and wants some nice body. Damn i cried because of my condition but they never listened. WTF! I also work out in the gym.

Offline DieSucka

• Posting Member
I know the proper thing to say is that it is up to you and that everyone has their own level of tolerance and if it bothers you then it's a good enough reason to get it fixed blah blah. but if you are looking for opinions (which it seems you are from the title), I would say that it is bad and I could not live with that either. That would seriously protrude through a t-shirt.

Offline jpart100

• Posting Member
I know the proper thing to say is that it is up to you and that everyone has their own level of tolerance and if it bothers you then it's a good enough reason to get it fixed blah blah. but if you are looking for opinions (which it seems you are from the title), I would say that it is bad and I could not live with that either. That would seriously protrude through a t-shirt.
yeah exactly, I have to wear a very tight undershirt and then I look perfectly fine but without one you can definitely tell theres something "wrong". Well I'm going tomorrow so I'll see what the doctor says...

Offline DieSucka

• Posting Member
Awesome - good luck.

DrBermant

A cold room, stimulation, and stress can all stimulate the thin muscle under the areola that can flatten puffy nipples. That is why I evolved my Standard Pictures for Gynecomastia see instructions on that page.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline jpart100

• Posting Member
The visit went well. He said my case is very minor, but he could do something about it. The doctor said my right side really has nothing wrong, but he could do some lipo there. He said on the left he would start with ultrasonic lipo (I think that was the word) and see if that's enough, and if its not he would take out the gland during the surgery (he said my gland was very small and may not need to be removed. My parents are going to talk it over.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Glad that your doctor agreed that something could be done.  Good luck on your surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline DieSucka

• Posting Member
I heard that ultrasonic lipo was useless for a glandular problem. I would be careful not to let him get away without doing it "properly". Insist on gland removal (unless it really is just fat there but it doesn't look like it to me). This is just my uneducated opinion though.

Offline jpart100

• Posting Member
Just scheduled my surgery, it's going to be done in a few weeks. I almost can't believe it, it feels surreal that after years of dealing with this crap its actually going to be fixed.
My surgeon said that this will be the procedure. He's going to do ultrasonic lipo on both sides. He said the right side only needs a tiny bit as there isn't much wrong with it (if both sides of my chest looked like my right, I probably wouldnt consider surgery.) He said the left side will need a little more lipo, and a definite gland excision. I'd have tubes with the sac things on for a few days after the surgery, and would have to wear a compression garment for a month after.

Now what I'm concerned about is the puffy nipple... he said that the skin would naturally shrink down over time once the gland and everything was removed. Is this true? Just seems kind of odd to me, but I guess he knows.
Can't believe this is actually being done.. I feel like my life is going to completely change.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024