Author Topic: The difference between developed Gyno and 'puffy nipples' ???  (Read 38182 times)

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
Just a quick question for you guys.

I have Unilateral-Gyno under my left nipple, the lump is about 2 inch long by 2 inch wide and is noticeable through a t-shirt... My right nipple has NO developed 'mass' underneath it but is sore, itchy, and can, at times, feel very sensitive. Also, when I am in a warm climate I have noticed that the areola will dilate to a larger size than it used to. When I feel around the area I can feel a very slight amount of possible glandular material -- at most a cm long and thick... My questions are: does this seem like puffy nipple or Gyno; will the puffiness go away in time ?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My right nipple has NO developed 'mass' underneath it but is sore, itchy, and can, at times, feel very sensitive.

This may indicate that your gyne is still in the developmental process.

How old are you?

Sometimes gyne starts in puberty on one side -- and then develops on the other side.  First start is with your doctor to check things out as best possible.  Would wait at least until all odd sensations settle down -- this may take two years or longer.  Then, if you still have a problem which is objectionable to you, you might consider a consultation with a gyne surgeon.

Keep your chin up -- sometimes these problems disappear on their own.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
I am 27 years old. A little too old for pubertal gyno.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree -- too old for pubertal gyne.

Now you have to think if there are any medications, supplements, etc which you may have taken and which might have set off this process.

I have had some patients, however, who were taking nothing and who developed unilateral gyne at your age range.  Surgery cured them.

But would definitely wait until all the symptoms of tingling, itching, etc have subsided.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Just a quick question for you guys.

I have Unilateral-Gyno under my left nipple, the lump is about 2 inch long by 2 inch wide and is noticeable through a t-shirt... My right nipple has NO developed 'mass' underneath it but is sore, itchy, and can, at times, feel very sensitive. Also, when I am in a warm climate I have noticed that the areola will dilate to a larger size than it used to. When I feel around the area I can feel a very slight amount of possible glandular material -- at most a cm long and thick... My questions are: does this seem like puffy nipple or Gyno; will the puffiness go away in time ?

There is a thin muscle just under the areola that when stimulated compresses puffy nipples. Once relaxed, the underlying contour returns. It is not practical to keep stimulating this muscle.

Gynecomastia contour issues can exist from gland swollen from an imbalance of hormones. Tenderness is one sign of such stimulation. Once that stimulation stops, swelling can go away. However, gland that has grown can remain. Breast gland in mammals is this way for both male and females. In women they have such swelling during menstrual cycles and pregnancy. Depending how long the imbalance was there, when the swelling subsides, the breast returns to its previous shape. The longer stimulation during breast feeding has a greater chance for permanent breast size change.

So if any one individuals puffy nipples will resolve will depend on what is the state of that gland, just swollen from stimulation or burned out gland that is in a steady state. That is why I took it on as a project years ago to educate the public about surgery being best for stable gynecomastia. Waiting for it to get to this steady state can result in a better contour when the problem completely resolves than the scars of the best surgeon. That was the whole basis for my Red Flag System that I evolved with many Endocrinologists over the years.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the quick replies.

The reason for my gland growth is Anabolic-Steroid use. I took them once in my life for a period of 10 weeks over 1 year ago; once I discontinued the drug is when the glands started to form. Initially, both my nipples were EXTREMELY sensitive and would itch, burn, and chafe at every moment of the day. I could constantly feel them. After about 6 months went by the severity of the itchy/burning/pain subsided and I entered into the state that I am in now: the nipples will only get sore when I press hard on them or I bump into something....

I don't drink alcohol; I haven't touched a steroid for 13 months, nor will I again; I do not take any supplements....... Do you think, from the sounds of it, that my Gyno will experience any decrease in size over the next year or would you venture to say that what I have now is what is going to stay ? Again, under the left nipple is a hard mass which is obviously glandular; it has maintained the same size for the whole 13 month time period. Under my left nipple is far less glandular material but, when my shirt is off, is clearly very 'puffy'...

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The "Aha" moment.

Yes, even brief use of anabolic steroids can result in gynecomastia -- usually bilateral but occasionally unilateral, as in your case.  You might, however, have some tissue on the "unaffected" side -- that would have to be confirmed by a surgeon.

At this point, not having taken steroids for over a year, you are probably looking at the residual and permanent effects.  While there is no harm in waiting, more than likely no further enlargement or reduction will occur -- and thus if you wish, surgery could probably help you now.

Dr Jacobs

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
Thanks for all your input Dr.Jacobs and Dr. Bermant

DrBermant

Thanks for the quick replies.

The reason for my gland growth is Anabolic-Steroid use. I took them once in my life for a period of 10 weeks over 1 year ago; once I discontinued the drug is when the glands started to form. Initially, both my nipples were EXTREMELY sensitive and would itch, burn, and chafe at every moment of the day. I could constantly feel them. After about 6 months went by the severity of the itchy/burning/pain subsided and I entered into the state that I am in now: the nipples will only get sore when I press hard on them or I bump into something....

I don't drink alcohol; I haven't touched a steroid for 13 months, nor will I again; I do not take any supplements....... Do you think, from the sounds of it, that my Gyno will experience any decrease in size over the next year or would you venture to say that what I have now is what is going to stay ? Again, under the left nipple is a hard mass which is obviously glandular; it has maintained the same size for the whole 13 month time period. Under my left nipple is far less glandular material but, when my shirt is off, is clearly very 'puffy'...

I have seen many patients who had breast tenderness and growth after use of substances like anabolic steroids. For some the imbalance of the hormone system was transient. For others, they needed help from an experienced Endocrinologist to get their hormones back on track. If the glands are still tender and growing, surgery should not be the next step, but an analysis and understanding what is going on, stabilizing it, and then deciding what if anything needs to be done surgically. Remember tender glands may still be swollen from the stimulation. Stop that stimulation and the swelling may resolve. What is left after that may need surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
Apparently my hormone levels at this point at healthy and 'robust'. I did blood work and went to see and Endocrinologist twice over the course of an 8 month period. My first evaluation, 4 months after gyno appeared, showed that my testosterone levels were low and that my estrogen levels were slightly high; my second appointment, which I had about 7 months after the gyno appeared, showed that I had rebounded back to my normal levels....

Is it possible that the sensitivity to my nipples will remain even once all growth has stopped, or is sensitivity a notable symptom of growth ??

Offline gman24

• Posting Member

DrBermant

Apparently my hormone levels at this point at healthy and 'robust'. I did blood work and went to see and Endocrinologist twice over the course of an 8 month period. My first evaluation, 4 months after gyno appeared, showed that my testosterone levels were low and that my estrogen levels were slightly high; my second appointment, which I had about 7 months after the gyno appeared, showed that I had rebounded back to my normal levels....

Is it possible that the sensitivity to my nipples will remain even once all growth has stopped, or is sensitivity a notable symptom of growth ??

It can take some time for the sensitivity of the gland to restore itself. However, another mechanism I discovered was some of my patients were tender from their constant pinching their nipples to stimulate the under areola muscle. Once they started using my Body Shaping Garments to get that contour, they stopped pinching and the tenderness went away. The various Endocrinologists I was working with for each patient agreed, and surgery could take place. The Red Light issue turned Green, surgery could be done and no recurrences.

That is the value of having an experienced gynecomastia surgeon working with a patient and the Endocrinologist to establish a stable situation before considering surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
WWhy didn't u take a pct?:(

I ran a 4 week PCT.... Anti-Estrogen as well as an Anti-Aromatizer....

Offline gman24

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024