Author Topic: I am a newbie  (Read 3091 times)

Offline wookie47

Don't know where to start, yes i am a "NEWBIE"..........

I just got done with the doctor today, and he tells me that I have this Gynecomastia......  I cant believe it!
My age 61 yrs......    He tells me that it might be the meds i take, or the fact that my testosterone level is real low, I am taking 13 different pills per day, due to.....AVR  Aorta Valve Replacement, in 2000, , 2 yrs later, I was diagnosed with a Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm, 5.7 cm. they want to operate if it goes over 6.0..... I have had 5 strokes, (2  major, 3 TIA'S).....
I have spondalosis on my back and shoulders,  just got  vertigo,...... and neuralgia parasitic in both on my legs..... and now he tells me this.....wow! He don't know if it is the meds, or the REAL low Testosterone........ is there anyone out there with anything like mine, and close to my age? Thank you.....

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Whoa dude.... I would say that Gynecomastia is the least of your worries...  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline JGY

Hi wookie..

I will identify myself as a newbie here also.  Same age as you, but with nothing like your medical problems.  I am basically healthy, with only the same cholesterol and blood pressure meds I've been taking for years.

Nevertheless, I was just diagnosed with G a couple weeks ago.  It has been a very rapid onset.  Two months ago I had no hint.  One month ago I still thought it might be the pseudo variety due to being overweight.  Then came a week of very rapid breast development that left no doubt.  By the end of that week I had a pair of very female looking breasts.  Since then, they have continued to grow, my bust size increasing nearly an inch in the past two weeks alone.  That's a full cup size in two weeks.   How much bigger they're going to get is an obvious concern.

Of more urgency, of course, is finding out what's causing it.  I was seeing my doctor anyway for a medication check.  Standard blood tests and exam seem to rule out most of the scary things that are known to cause gynecomastia.  Doc doesn't seem concerned about cancer because the breasts are the same size.  He sent me off to get my enzymes tested and the labs from that just came back this week.  Estradiol absolutely NORMAL, but testosterone is quite low (about half of what is considered average for my age).  The question now is why.  Will be seeing an endocrinologist as soon as I can get an appointment.  Am considering testosterone therapy but have not made that decision yet.  I have reasons to suspect the T has been low for a long time and just fell below a critical threshold.  That could also explain why for many years I have suffered from chronic depression and low energy levels, which are other symptoms of low T.

At any rate, I now find myself the proud owner of a dandy new pair of breasts.  I didn't ask for them, but it isn't every year that a person gets new body parts.  The emotions are complex, and it's all happened so suddenly that I'm just starting to appreciate the implications.  I alternate between being philosophical and terrified.  As I am still in the information gathering stage, I have not yet made any treatment decisions or plans.  Was hoping these forums would help me.  Anyone else out there who's been through this rapid onset and can tell me what to expect?

So, wookie, like the other guy said,  it sounds like gynecomastia is hardly your worst medical problem.  What are you wanting from this forum?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
let me add a little context.  most gyne is puberty-onset because that's when the hormones first go irregular, but some senior-onset happens too because unfortunately it they can misbehave again later too.  add meds on top of that and voila. 

if it's not your biggest problem, it can still be an annoying pain in the a**, no sin in not liking it or wanting to know what's going on. 

one of the dr's affiliated with the site may amplify a little more, but it's the same thing in principle, and you'll get better answers out of tests like jgy mentioned. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Tiffany

• Posting Member
Wookie,
  At 51 I'm not quite as old as you and I don't have nearly as many medical problems but I too seem to be receiving new body parts late in life. I haven't seen a doctor for this and am thankful that they seem to have stopped growing.
  Maybe I don't have gyne. But, even so, these things won't go away on their own.
  I don't really care either way though.
  I have had a good life.
  I have been blessed with a terrific wife, three children and 8 grandchildren. I have been in great shape and watched as my health went downhill. I count those infirmities as just being part of life.
  I've been in the military and this is no threat to my masculinity. I've been around the world and had decent jobs.
  In other words, I've been blessed while others have been homeless, afflicted and hospitalized. When I see those poor kids in other countries that are missing limbs and starving to death my breasts seem like such a small problem.
  When I take an honest assessment of my health and lifestyle I can only thank God for allowing me to have such a wonderful life and family.
  Whether I have breasts or not God has been good to me.
  May God bless.
  Tiff
It's too easy to get on a "woe is me" kick.
Life is too good in other ways.
If I can't poke fun of myself I sure would be pathetic.

Offline khan

• Posting Member
Whoa dude.... I would say that Gynecomastia is the least of your worries...  ;)

GB...

agree.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024