Author Topic: Is an Endocrinologist always necessary?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The answer is No they are not always necessary.

It is kind of like the seat belt in your car, you only really need it if you have an accident.  We cannot foretell the future, so we use the seat belt all the time. It is the intelligent and safe thing to do.

You only  really need an Endocrinologist if there is something wrong.  Well, then again who is better qualified to interpret the results of the hormones tests and decide if there is something wrong?

Check with the endocrinologist.  Is is the intelligent and safe thing to do.

Even if they find nothing wrong, They will then provide at least some degree of relief.  Can you put a price tag on that?

Grandpa Dan

Offline hypo

I thought I was going to disagree with you there Paw Paw from your first sentence, but I do not, you were just throwing me with how you were putting the point.

When you think that 25% of all gynecomastia patients have an underlying condition, it seems a no brainer to me that we should all get checked out as a precautionary measure.

I think it is worth adding that the (AACE) American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists does recognize a problem with general doctor trying treatment of hypogonadism.

From their conclusion to their 2002 guidelines for the treatment and evaluation of Hypogonadism (10% of all gynecomastia sufferers have low testosterone).

Quote verbatim
The recognition, evaluation and treatment of hypogonadism in the male patient are often dismissed by the patient and overlooked by the physician.
Unquote

So according to the AACE general physicians are often guilty of overlooking this problem-

I have already come across a number of people this year who had their hormones tested by general physicians where there physicians made serious mistakes regarding their diagnosis and treatment.

So if you have gynecomastia and wish to have an expert rule out this possible cause for your condition then you need to see an endocrinologist, not a general physician.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 09:00:18 AM by hypo »

Offline Spleen

I didn't see one.  I've had the same chest for 20+ years post puberty with no change.  I knew it was unlikely that at this late date, having a baritone voice, 3 kids etc. that I might have hypogonadism.  Still, just to be sure, I had my doc check a few of my hormone values just to make sure that they were in range.  It was for piece of mind and to rule out anything out of the ordinary, even thought there was virtually nothing to be concerned about aside from funny nipples.  Cover your bases guys and even thought you might be 99.9% sure nothing's wrong, get yourself checked out first to make sure you don't ignore a potentailly life-threatening hormonal or genetic problem.  In the end if a pair of teats is all you have to worry about, consider yourself lucky.

Offline hypo

Offline hypo

The reason seeing an endocrinologist makes sense when someone has gynecomastia is because 25% of all gynecomastia sufferers have an underlying condition-

Something that is no joke.

10% of all gynecomastia sufferers have hypogonadism- hypogonadism is an associated condition- hence the very real need to be checked out, particularly for those opting for surgery.

Appropriate medical investigations based upon proven links/associated problems is not the same as random and inappropriate investigations where no such links/ association exist.  

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 05:19:01 AM by hypo »

Offline hypo

Don't try to lecture me about cancer I have had cancer twice.

You joked sarcastically like a half ass about the tests that are very relevant and appropriate-

Don't try and make out that what you were saying was supossed to be taken seriously becaue we both know it wasn't.

You really are deadwood and not helping anyone here.

Offline Pferdestärken

• Silver Member
  • Fixed 03/06/05 by the incredible Mr Paul Levick!
    • My Diary
Don't forget to also get yourself checked out yearly for cancers (anus, skin, brain, testicles, colon, throat etc.), heart disease, urinary problems, vision problems, diabetes, ear infections and general physical health. They say early detection makes all the difference.    
I'm amazed given the forum you posted this on that you didn't include breast cancer in your list. I seriously doubt that the big C makes a distinction between girl boobs and man boobs.
Pics | Op 3/6/05 Mr Paul Levick

Offline hypo

Breast cancer only accounts for 1% of all male cancers.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024