Author Topic: Should I lose weight before surgery?  (Read 9172 times)

Offline d-s-m

• Posting Member
Hey all, I'm considering getting gyno surgery pretty soon although I'm a stone or two overweight atm (I had moobs when I wasnt overweight btw)

does it matter if i lose the weight or not before surgery? would i get better results if i did lose the weight first?

its just i find it tough going to the gym atm as i'm so self concious about my moobs, although that wouldnt be a problem after surgery so i could really start making an effort to lose weight and start working out

what do you guys think?

Offline determineddude

Im also pretty interested in what people have to say about this one as well, i'm in a similar boat, but i'm starting a regular early morning walking regime. Helps a lot mentally also. My advice would be, get a good pair of headphones and a mp3 player, get up early and listen to some tunes while having a good walk. (also great time to be by yourself and think abit)

GynO_DuDe

A stone or two isn't bad ... I lost like a stone and a half and I was still 2 stone overweight when I had mine done.

To be honest, it just helps a surgeon perform a better op ... but if their skilled enough they can still do it properly.

Go for it mate, get it done and out the way, and then hit the gym.

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
I think it depends on your surgeon.  Some surgeons try for a  so called "natural look"  meaning of you are on overweight guy they will sculpt your chest down to what a "normal" chest would look like for a fat bloak who does not have a gyne problem, but if you loose a bunch of weight after that the extra tissue is left for the "natural look" you may again look like you have gyne.

However some surgeons are more aggressive and just make the chest look flatter without trying to acheive the so called "natural" look (what they think looks right).  If your surgeon does this, you won't have the extra tissue and post op weight loss will not make your chest look bigger in proportion to your body.  (This is my, and many patients prefered method)  After all one's idea of "natural" is totally subjective.  In reality, your look before surgery is truly a "natural look" it's what nature gave you, after all! 

Reality is there is no such thing as a natural look!  I have seen super fat guys with tight, board flat chests, and everything in between.  However, there is an abnormal looking chest, craters, one size bigger than the other, ect,....... (this is what you really want to avoid)

Bottom line! This all depends on how much weight you plan to lose after surgery.  If say less than 10% of your total weight, it may not really matter, but if you plan on losing a "ton" it is best to consult your surgeon to get to the bottom of the story. 

Remember this:  Be honest with yourself, what is your normal weight.  (you know the one you go to after all your diets fail)  You should have surgery somewhat near this weight.  I know this time is different!  Again, I said be HONEST WITH YOURSELF!

DrBermant

Hey all, I'm considering getting gyno surgery pretty soon although I'm a stone or two overweight atm (I had moobs when I wasnt overweight btw)

does it matter if i lose the weight or not before surgery? would i get better results if i did lose the weight first?

its just i find it tough going to the gym atm as i'm so self concious about my moobs, although that wouldnt be a problem after surgery so i could really start making an effort to lose weight and start working out

what do you guys think?

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery.  You can Calculate your BMI to see what is normal.  For those with too much body fat, Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from.

Plastic Surgery is not a good jump start tool for weight loss.  I have seen disasters from patients from other doctors with deformities from significant weight loss after their surgery.  Men tend to put fat on first in the belly and chest bands.  We tend to take of those areas last.  Early surgery and depending on weight loss to predictably change the body is a nasty gamble.  No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a better temporizing choice.

As a surgical sculptor, I view weight loss as a coarse tool and my plastic surgery as a refinement tool.  I prefer to use the coarse tool first, and then my sculpture for refinement.

For those having compromise surgery before (or without) weight loss, try to check out before and after pictures from many different angles.  Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  A fat person will still look like a fat person, just one with smaller breasts.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024