Author Topic: Advice for a 16 year old?  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Frank77

• Posting Member
Okay, hi guys.

I'm a year 16 old, and I think it's fair to say that I'm not an adolescent anymore. I think I may have Gynecomastia. I read a thread on reddit which prompted me to post here.

I am fat, but I do play a lot of sports, mainly rugby. As a result, I do a lot of exercise and weights. I have fairly strong chest muscles, however I have very prominent and pointy boobs. They're embarrassing to the point (pun not intended) where I'm avoiding thin shirts or shirts without sweaters or jumpers all together. The thread indicated that a symptom (if it may be counted as a disease) is hard mass-ish stuff, and I've definitely felt that. One point I expressed fears about having male breast cancer, but that was when I was young and paranoid.

So does anyone have any advice? Give it a few years? I'm really embarrassed and ashamed by them and I would do anything to help. I'm on a strict exercise and diet program and I hope that will work, but from what I've read several cases cannot be cured by exercise alone. Surgery is probably not an option for me in the near future as I don't really have the cash. I live in Australia and surgery is probably even more expensive here as we have a shortage of surgeons.

I'm going to see a GP soon about it but I was wondering if you guys had any advice.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
First off, it is not a disease. It is so common that it is often thought of as being statistically "Normal." Obviously a person who is suffering great angst brought on by the condition does not think it is normal. The Insurance companies love to think of it as being normal because that gives them a way out of covering the cost of surgery.

The condition is self diagnosed to a large extent but a professional opinion is always helpful. Seeing your family Doctor is a good first step but don't be surprised if he/she is not too well informed on this issue. You may need to see an Endocrinologist and your GP might even recommend one.

If you are pretty well through puberty and your breast condition has not changed in a couple of years you may be ready for surgery. It is not wise to get ahead of yourself here though, 16 years may be a bit early.

As far as surgeons, pick yours with great care. Seek out a surgeon who is board certified in cosmetic surgery and who does a goodly number of breast reductions in men.

In the short term, There are a few hints on how you dress that can conceal your condition. Instead of jeans and a tee shirt, move up to slacks and a buttoned shirt over a snug undershirt. You'll enjoy a reputation of being the best dressed man at school and conceal the Gynecomastia at the same time. I found that plaids and patterns worked better than solid colors. Others have voiced differing opinions so experiment and see what works best for you.

Don't be tempted to slouch or stoop to hide your condition, it doesn't work and it only makes you look sloppy. Don't attempt to hide your condition by using tape of any kind to flatten your nipples. The skin of the areola is quite thin and can be easily torn by tape, it would leave horrid scars.

Above all, keep a good attitude.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Frank77

• Posting Member
Wow, thanks. That was one of the most helpful and informative posts I've read in the internet thus far. I could relate to so much of what you said. I don't know why I can't wear jeans though, but I do sometimes wear Skins or some sort of compression garment under my clothes when I do go out, but I usually wear lots of sweaters or hoodies.

Thanks for the advice, I'm seeing a GP on Saturday.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Actually there is no reason why you couldn't wear jeans.

It is just that the slacks would make a better match with the more dressy shirt.

The comment about slacks might actually reveal my age to some extent. Anything less than slacks and a buttoned up shirt would not have met the dress code when I went to high school. The girls wore dresses or skirts with a hem below the knee. Jeans were considered play or work clothes and inappropriate for the business of learning. In exchange for dressing up a bit we were treated with great respect. Teachers addressed the students as Mister or Miss. My grandchildren dress like and get treated like trash. What can I say?

Thank you very much for your words of praise. We are all here for the same reason and I think you'll find that a very helpful attitude prevails on the site. It is not just me, this is truly a good place to be and good people to be with.

Welcome, and Good Luck!

Be careful of the sweaters and hoodies. If they are appropriate to the season and weather they are great. But if they are not appropriate to the season they will make you stand out. I don't think that is what you are actually trying to do.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:27:39 PM by Paa_Paw »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Wow, thanks. That was one of the most helpful and informative posts I've read in the internet thus far.

That's because Grandpa Dan is an expert on the subject!!!  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
GB, It seems to me that you qualify for expert status as well.

In one way or another I guess we all do.......  Everyone take a moment to pat yourself on the back.

Like I said, it is not just me or anyone else either, the whole concept of this site seems to generate a very caring and helpful attitude.

Thanks again to Merle for starting it.

Offline Frank77

• Posting Member
Point taken, I do sweat a lot.

Can you guys recommend any good sites that sells compression garments? I have Body Science tops for sports, athletics and weights training but they have long sleeves and stand out heaps. I'm in Australia, and it's really hot here right now. Preferable one in a singlet form that's relatively cheap (Say 20-30 USD) and ships to Australia.

Offline krucial

• Bronze Member
Yall are  rocking for takin time to help people out ! no matter what the age is... much respect for tho's who do this.....

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
GB, It seems to me that you qualify for expert status as well.

Yeah, getting there eh...  ;)

I guess we are the Gynecomastia Guru's eh Dan...   ;D :P ;D

In one way or another I guess we all do.......  Everyone take a moment to pat yourself on the back.

Like I said, it is not just me or anyone else either, the whole concept of this site seems to generate a very caring and helpful attitude.

It's very gratifying to be able to help others...  ;)

Thanks again to Merle for starting it.

Merle's Da Man!!!

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024