Author Topic: Will weight training help?  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Rats

I was wondering if weight training will help my gyno? I have a mild case of gyno (maybe a golf-ball sized gland) which is noticeable when I wear tshirts or when I have my shirt off and I'd like to just minimize it. been lifting for almost 4 months now and I've gained about 8 lbs. of muscle but I don't really notice any difference. I really enjoy working out and I plan to continue but will it help "hide" the gyno or will I end up having to get surgery? In case you are interested I am between 12-14% body fat.

I will post some pics maybe tomorrow so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
It depends. It sounds like you are pretty fit right now so (without seeing pictures) it sounds like your gyne is mainly glandular so weight training will not make the gland disappear.
        However, In my experience if you build your body up and put muscle on everywhere that will help. You will look more in proportion. Although my gyne is mainly fat and Iam experiencing a slight reduction in size of the gyne I have found that when first I started to use weights My body did look much better quite quickly.
I did not do flat benches but did inclines and flat dumbell flys instead. I also built my shoulders and back up as well.
           Also if you exercise quite heavily if there is some fat around the gyne that could go as well. If i were you I would try the gym for bit longer and see if you are happier with your chest. You cannot make an improvement that quickly.Also if you are going through puberty it might go naturally, I cannot remeber how old you said you were ;D
If you are still not happy, in a few months I would see a PS.

Offline jalen_rose5

• Posting Member
  • conditioning coach for the Indiana Pacers
no matter how much excercise u do, if u have golf balled size gland shapes they are going to haunt you. sorry to say bro, its the reality.

Offline Rats

I'm 19 and I'm done with puberty so I doubt it will go away. I just want to hide it as much as possible.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:47:10 AM by Rats »

Offline braveheart

• Posting Member
Can I just say, when you start doing weight training, and when you keep at it, you will start looking fantastic, even with the gyno. This will help your self image no doubt, which to be honest, is the real issue. The gyno is secondary. Of course it would be great to get rid of, and if you want to badly enough you can some day (surgery etc)...

I used to wonder if it was worth starting to lift weights, since I could never have a "perfect" upper body. Boy, am I glad I did. I still think about the gyno a lot but it doesn't bother me half as much. So to anyone considering starting weight training, DO IT!  ;D

DrBermant

I was wondering if weight training will help my gyno? I have a mild case of gyno (maybe a golf-ball sized gland) which is noticeable when I wear tshirts or when I have my shirt off and I'd like to just minimize it. been lifting for almost 4 months now and I've gained about 8 lbs. of muscle but I don't really notice any difference. I really enjoy working out and I plan to continue but will it help "hide" the gyno or will I end up having to get surgery? In case you are interested I am between 12-14% body fat.

I will post some pics maybe tomorrow so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

I take care of many body builders.  Exercising and body building do great things for the body and can help reduce overall fat.  However, all of my body builders tell me that building muscles tends to push anything that is over the muscles further out. Exercising does not help with gland.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Dr. Bermant - Is there any correlation between how physically fit a guy is and how quickly he heals?

DrBermant

Dr. Bermant - Is there any correlation between how physically fit a guy is and how quickly he heals?

Someone who is healthy tends to heal better than someone who has poor nutrition.  Obeise patients can have more healing problems than someone of normal weight.  Nicotine users have a higher complication rate than someone who does not smoke.  It depends on what you mean "physically fit."

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Rats

If I do choose to get the surgery, how long do I have to wait before exercising again?

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
That really varies and depends on several factors.  

I think most guys who've responded to that question in the past say between 30 days and 6 weeks.

Offline meelosh

• Posting Member
i've had gyne since puberty and have found that lifting definately adds definition to the muscles and keeps you in better overall shape if thats what you're looking for. But the fact of the matter is, you have golf-ball sized glands and even if you do work out, you find yourself wearing baggy clothing anyway.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024