Author Topic: One side only  (Read 3299 times)

Offline nomenclator

• Posting Member
  • animal husbandry is not necessary
    • Nutcracker Services
How common is gynocomastia in only one breast? My primary care physician insists about 50 percent of his gynocomastia patients have it in only one breast.

While both my breasts appear to have a little bit of fatty tissue, not enough to make feel much concerned about it at all, and certainly not enough to make me start thinking about surgery, the left side, only, has a hard area right behind the nipple, which I understand is probably glandular breast tissue. The problem is, this bit of tissue hurts, sometimes enough to interfere with my comfort, even wake me at night. It can hurt quite a bit to touch. It has even woken me up at night. The other side feels just fine.

I had a sonogram -- nothing. they say a mammogram is probably unnecessary as it is almost certainly just gynomastia, and not cancer, and given the rarity of breast cancer in mean, a mammogram is more likely to cause cancer, than help me identify cancer in order to prolong my life. But I could have one if I want; my insurance would pay for it.
Eat vegetables

DrBermant

How common is gynocomastia in only one breast? My primary care physician insists about 50 percent of his gynocomastia patients have it in only one breast.

While both my breasts appear to have a little bit of fatty tissue, not enough to make feel much concerned about it at all, and certainly not enough to make me start thinking about surgery, the left side, only, has a hard area right behind the nipple, which I understand is probably glandular breast tissue. The problem is, this bit of tissue hurts, sometimes enough to interfere with my comfort, even wake me at night. It can hurt quite a bit to touch. It has even woken me up at night. The other side feels just fine.

I had a sonogram -- nothing. they say a mammogram is probably unnecessary as it is almost certainly just gynomastia, and not cancer, and given the rarity of breast cancer in mean, a mammogram is more likely to cause cancer, than help me identify cancer in order to prolong my life. But I could have one if I want; my insurance would pay for it.

Uneven and Unilateral (one sided) gynecomastia can happen. Breasts of women also are unven.  The factors contributing to the uneven condition are just not known.  However, asymmetry is normal for the human body.

Male breast cancer is very rare.  Breast Xrays can have value for certain situations.  I prefer to decide about mammograms after an evaluation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline nomenclator

• Posting Member
  • animal husbandry is not necessary
    • Nutcracker Services
Thanks for the info Dr B.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
I have one sided gynecomastia. Mine was caused by a prescrition drug.

I went to a breast surgeon just in case when I first got it and had an ultrasound which is the same as a sonagram I think . Breast surgeon told me if something shows up on the ultrasound than mamogram is the next step. Mine was clear and investigations did not proceed further.

Gyno sometimes does hurt esp initially.My breast surgeon told me one sided gyno is slightly less common than bi-lateral but is still normally nothing to worry about especially if you are young.Good to get it checked out though.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024