Author Topic: this vest...  (Read 2725 times)

Offline tnel00son

• Silver Member
does anyone know exactly why you need to wear a compression vest after surgery for so long? im trying to understand exactly what it does.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You need some form of compression post-surgery to hold the disturbed flesh together. The length of time to wear a compression garment would depend on how quickly the patient heals.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
yep, the purpose of the vest is to reduce swelling and conform the chest to its new contour.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 02:48:37 PM by jc71 »

Offline flex1appeal

My doctor suggested I wear it for the first six weeks and I am at my 8th week now and still am wearing it. I slacked for about 1 week. It was around week 5 and I couldn't believe my chest was swollen still. When I looked at it I thought to myself that I still had gyno or it was returning but come to find out, it was still swollen. I know because I put the vest back on every night for the last 2 weeks and the swelling went down even more. Still a tad swollen so I am gonna use this vest until I feel it is not necessary. Every one is different and heals at different paces. The vest is surely a great tool for reducing swelling and for helping the skin retract.

Offline chopemoff

• Bronze Member
i know this is sort of a rehash...

In my consultation with Fielding he said tensor would be fine. I feel it might be the same as one of these vests, but how easy is it to actually wind a tensor around you right after surgery?

Do you have that kind of mobility and freedom of movement without pain?

Has anyone any thoughts on whether a vest made for this would work better than just a tensor from the drug store? thanks.

DrBermant

does anyone know exactly why you need to wear a compression vest after surgery for so long? im trying to understand exactly what it does.

I prefer to use a compression vest after gynecomastia surgery for many reasons explained on that link.  I use first stage compression, to protect tissues.  Second stage protection is for scars.  

Scars that heal under pressure are often much softer than scars without scar therapy or pressure.  I prefer to individualize the scar care and compression needs for each of my patients.  Such issues are better discussed with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024