Author Topic: Will this nightmare ever go away???  (Read 4944 times)

Offline kosta

• Posting Member
Hi guys.. I'm new here and I'm glad I found this site... there's not many people who would actually understand what I am going through.

5 years ago I decided I was going to finally take care of my gynecomastia. I was living on Long Island at the time when I decided I wanted to correct my condition. I wasn't too sure about who the plastic surgeons were around in my area so I sat with PCP and looked in the trusty insurance list of doctors. Well, I found a guy who looked good on paper... credentials, associate professor at Stony Brook University (he might have even associate chair of the department).

Anyhow, I go to this guy, nice office and all, he examines me and tells me that I need the surgery. tells me I need to quit smoking one month prior to the surgery, get tests, tells me that he'll take care of insurance etc etc, blah blah... I get a call telling me that all is taken care of and we set a date.. March 18 2002.

Can I tell you guys that I regret that day...... This guy, not only was late (another procedure he claimed) but he looked hurried, which made me nervous. Anyway, I get rolled into the OR, where he marks me up and tells me that this normally done in pre op, but because of time constraints, he's doing it in the ER.... moving on, surgery over, I go home after 1 day to begin the healing process. Well the healing process wasn't all that great... when I finally got to take a look at his handy work, I noticed that I looked funny... the left side was cut, but it didn't look as if it was even worked on (he claimed it was just swelling), my right side looked alot flatter than my left and my nipple seemed discolored and did not look like it was healing at all... on my first visit after surgery, he states that it looks good and it's healing, I asked about the right nipple, claims that it's ok, but to use bacetration to help... by my second follow up visit (he wanted to see me once a week) I noticed that a foul smell was coming from my nipple... I asked if it was infected and he says no, just continue with the bacetration etc etc.. by the 3rd visit, he looks at it, and tells me he has to clean it up and remove some dead skin..he finishes and sends me home with gauze and sterile water... sounds fishy ehh??? well,  SOME DEAD SKIN as he claims turned out to be my entire nipple... can you imagine the look on my face when I changed the bandage that night and all I found was a gaping hole in my chest??? Anyway, I call him and start balling, he tells it's nothing to worry about, he'll fix it and everything will be fine.. thats where I lost all faith in him.. coincidentally, I went back to my PCP for an unrelated vist, but showed him the butchers handy work... he took one looked at the hole in my chest and told me it's infected... I was suprised and told him what the butcher said.. my doc yelled at me and told me to listen to what he was telling me.. so he puts me in antibiotics to get rid of the infection and I continue with the sterile water and guaze. I went back one last time to the butcher and he sends me home again with more guaze and sterile water... that was the last time I went back to him... oh yeah... did I mention that after I stopped going to him, I begin to get letters from the hospital and his office stating that insurance DID NOT pick up the cost, after I was told that he had the go ahead to do the surgery...

In the meantime I found this very good doctor in the city, Dr, Richard Marfuggi... I owe this guy alot... he was the same surgeon who did the face of Marla Hanson, the model who's face was slashed. He examined me, gave me his opinion and reassured me that he can correct everything. I had the first proceedure in 2003... I was very satisfied with his work and insurance picked it up with no hassels. . Around that same time though, I lost my job and with it went my benefits. I could have paid and go through COBRA, but I couldn't afford it. We waited till I got covered again, which i did, but no sooner do we set a date, I wind up losing this job too... well, now 3 years later I'm still trying to finish my proceedures. I currently have CIGNA, but according to them, they are not covering it because it is cosmetic... I'm currently appealing their decision but I just want this nightmare to end once and for all... I want to be able to take my shirt off in public and not be looked at as a freak.. I'm almost there, but it's just taking too long

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
You've certainly been through a horrible ordeal.  I believe that's one of the worst experiences I've seen posted.   I hope you see resolution soon. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline 37ntired

• Posting Member
This is scaring me away from surgery.  Are cases such as yours 1 in a thousand or 1 in ten?  What is the doctors name who botched your surgery?  I will stay away from him.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
This is scaring me away from surgery.  Are cases such as yours 1 in a thousand or 1 in ten?  What is the doctors name who botched your surgery?  I will stay away from him.

If you choose against surgery, don't let this be the reason.  By the same logic you should avoid getting in cars because sometimes they crash, avoid crossing the street because people sometimes get struck by busses, and avoid elevators because sometimes they become stuck. 

See a REPUTABLE surgeon who's known for doing good work in a clean and professional facility.  You can probably get some PS referrals in your area from the satisfied members on this site if you post your location. 

Offline 37ntired

• Posting Member
So what is the ratio of happy to unhappy surgeries?   Everyone seems to say the surgery is worth it. 

Offline kosta

• Posting Member
The surgery is worth it, but only if it is done by a competent and knowledgable surgeon. Don't let my nightmare, as I call it, scare you off from doing this.

Offline 37ntired

• Posting Member
Thanks Kosta!!!!  I will try to get my mind back on track to doing this.  I am not sure I have the guts.

Offline reaper33

• Silver Member
kosta, man you are really brave. honestly your story is very tragic, and it takes a lot of courage in doing what you are doing man, hang in there, you'll  see your happy days. good luck bro.

Offline kosta

• Posting Member
37ntired, I felt scared in the beginning, and in my case I had reason to be... just hang in there and if you have a competent surgeon, then put your trust in him. He will see you through it.

Reaper, I never considered myself to be brave, but thank you for the compliment... it was a huge boost.

I was just reading a letter from my lawyer in regards to my case against my former surgeon. His lawyer is trying to get the case dismissed and claims that the reason the surgery turned out this way is because I am a smoker... now isn't that so nice of him???

Offline gyneman

• Gold Member
I actually smoked up to the day of surgery and didn't have an experience like that. What he or she a board certified plastic surgeon?

Offline kosta

• Posting Member
According to his web site he's board certified....

Offline reaper33

• Silver Member
hey kosta, you said he left a hole in your chest, can you elaborate please, and he left you with that bacteria, are you living with it , or have you got it fixed. and whats his name, and his web address, if you dont mind.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
consider chatting with a lawyer, anyone who ignores you talking about infection sounds like he could be part quack, and telling you definitely to proceed based on his promise to resolve insurance to me says he opens himself for liability to cover it. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline kosta

• Posting Member
hey kosta, you said he left a hole in your chest, can you elaborate please, and he left you with that bacteria, are you living with it , or have you got it fixed. and whats his name, and his web address, if you dont mind.

The hole was where my nipple used to be, but it healed up and is closed now.. and yes, he let the nipple get infected before removing it, and did nothing afterwards... I was put on antibiotics by my PCP after the fact.

consider chatting with a lawyer, anyone who ignores you talking about infection sounds like he could be part quack, and telling you definitely to proceed based on his promise to resolve insurance to me says he opens himself for liability to cover it. 

Headheldhigh, I have talked to a lawyer and my case is going to court. His lawyers are trying to get the case dismissed on the basis that I was a smoker... and yes, he seems to be part quack. I read over his deposition and he seemed very confused. The best part was that I come to find out that I was only his 3rd gynecomastia case that he's ever worked on... I also come to find out that the procedure he did on me was in fact the procedure you do for a womans breast reduction and not gynecomastia... my current surgeon also claims that the approach taken was too extreme and that he deviated from accepted medical practice....

Offline ddaavviiddd

• Silver Member
LISTEN UP PEOPLE,  IF U GET THE SURGERY, GO TO A PS WHTH ALLOT OF EXPERIENCE IN THIS FIELD,  U KNOW THE ONES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.  sorry for the caps but selecting the right surgeon  is the most important decision ,  so please make the right choice

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024