Author Topic: Confused about health coverage  (Read 3358 times)

Offline stupid101

• Posting Member
Hi - just found this site.  A little confused as to why there is such a cost difference between different doctors in the same city.  Why would Dr. Fielding's procedure be partially covered by OHIP and another Dr's not?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Welcome...

Dr. Fielding does his Gyne removal at St. Joseph's Health Center ( Hospital ) and therefore you are covered for everything except the Lipo potion of the proceedure by OHIP. Dr. Lista on the other hand, performs his Gyne removal proceedures at his clinic in Mississauga and not in a hospital and hence, you are not covered by OHIP and you must pay the entire fee. Most guys go with Fielding for this very reason.

As for a price difference between doctors... Just like anything else you purchase, there are price differences and you need to do some 'shopping around' to find the best price. I would imagine that PS's can charge whatever they want. However they can't charge too much or they would not be in business very long. ;)

John.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 09:18:39 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005
being cheaper can sometimes make people look down on you or underestimate your skills....

like how all doctors in Mexico are assumed to be hacks because it's so much cheaper (true for some, but definitely not for all, there's a PS who operates on gyne in Tijuana that other people have had good experiences with)..

maybe that's why List decides to conduct business this way, but all other things being equal I don't see why i should pay for excision if OHIP will pay, i'm sure the clinic is nicer than the hospital, but it's like 4x the cost, not worth it to me..

unless List actually is "better", than i stand corrected...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

maybe that's why List decides to conduct business this way, but all other things being equal I don't see why i should pay for excision if OHIP will pay, i'm sure the clinic is nicer than the hospital, but it's like 4x the cost, not worth it to me..

unless List actually is "better", than i stand corrected...

So sorry! I made a typo.... :-[.  It's 'Lista' and not 'List'. I have made the correction. So sorry!

John.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024