Author Topic: I'm planning on getting the surgery, but I have a few questions first.  (Read 2318 times)

Offline mg2892

• Posting Member
So I'm pretty sure I have gynecomastia, and I'm planning on getting the surgery once I save up a little more money.

As it would be with anyone, this is a big deal for me and I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Mind answering a few questions?

1) I read somewhere that the surgery would cost around $3,000, and then I read somewhere else that it was around $10,000.  I suppose it depends on who you  go to, but what should I realistically plan on spending? What would be the average amount?

2) Right now I'm at a healthy weight, but a little bit more chubby than I want to be.   I plan on loosing fat and gaining muscle mass.  Will this affect anything as far as how my chest would look if I did this after getting the surgery?

3) Do people over 18 usually have problems with the gynecomastia coming back after the surgery? If so, is there usually a reason, or are they just unlucky?

4) This question is related to the previous question. I know that gyne is partly caused by unbalanced estrogen levels (or something like that), but as long as puberty is long gone, shouldn't that be a non-issue? Or might my estrogen levels still be unbalanced? I don't see any reason why they would be, other than me simply being born with the unbalance.  I haven't noticed the gyne getting worse.  I'm pretty sure it's been the same ever since I was around 14, which was 5 years ago.

Thanks so much for reading.  See you all around the forum.

DrBermant

So I'm pretty sure I have gynecomastia, and I'm planning on getting the surgery once I save up a little more money.

As it would be with anyone, this is a big deal for me and I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Mind answering a few questions?

1) I read somewhere that the surgery would cost around $3,000, and then I read somewhere else that it was around $10,000.  I suppose it depends on who you  go to, but what should I realistically plan on spending? What would be the average amount?

Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery in our office depends on the problem to be treated. We see so many different degrees of this problem, that a one price fits all policy just would not be fair. Price also varies from doctor to doctor and around the world. Jane is my office manager and can better discuss typical costs and fees.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.  In considering the price, you should check how often that doctor needs to revise his / her patients or how often the patients go elsewhere to correct something that was not addressed by the first surgery.

2) Right now I'm at a healthy weight, but a little bit more chubby than I want to be.   I plan on loosing fat and gaining muscle mass.  Will this affect anything as far as how my chest would look if I did this after getting the surgery?

Weight loss before surgery is typically better than after. Losing weight is a coarse tool, surgery is better reserved for refinement. I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia. Muscle building can be done before or after surgery, there does not seem to be any significant difference.

3) Do people over 18 usually have problems with the gynecomastia coming back after the surgery? If so, is there usually a reason, or are they just unlucky?

Recurrence of gynecomastia is quite rare for men with stable problems. Surgery does not prevent new growth after surgery. It is the individual who rushes into surgery without first addressing the underlying problem that runs the risk of recurrence. I unfortunately have seen many such patients done elsewhere. In addition, if a new cause starts, then the breast tissue can grow back.

4) This question is related to the previous question. I know that gyne is partly caused by unbalanced estrogen levels (or something like that), but as long as puberty is long gone, shouldn't that be a non-issue? Or might my estrogen levels still be unbalanced? I don't see any reason why they would be, other than me simply being born with the unbalance.  I haven't noticed the gyne getting worse.  I'm pretty sure it's been the same ever since I was around 14, which was 5 years ago.

As in answer 3, the issue is stability. How Old Before Having Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question. What has not resolved by 2 years typically will not. Making a 12 year old live with his gynecomastia that started at the age of 9 and not changed for the past year, makes little sense to me.

No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a great temporary contouring solution while waiting until funds have been saved or other factors stabilized such as weight loss.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline TheCorrectedOne

• Posting Member

Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery in our office depends on the problem to be treated. We see so many different degrees of this problem, that a one price fits all policy just would not be fair. Price also varies from doctor to doctor and around the world. Jane is my office manager and can better discuss typical costs and fees.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.  In considering the price, you should check how often that doctor needs to revise his / her patients or how often the patients go elsewhere to correct something that was not addressed by the first surgery.

Weight loss before surgery is typically better than after. Losing weight is a coarse tool, surgery is better reserved for refinement. I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia. Muscle building can be done before or after surgery, there does not seem to be any significant difference.

Recurrence of gynecomastia is quite rare for men with stable problems. Surgery does not prevent new growth after surgery. It is the individual who rushes into surgery without first addressing the underlying problem that runs the risk of recurrence. I unfortunately have seen many such patients done elsewhere. In addition, if a new cause starts, then the breast tissue can grow back.

As in answer 3, the issue is stability. How Old Before Having Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question. What has not resolved by 2 years typically will not. Making a 12 year old live with his gynecomastia that started at the age of 9 and not changed for the past year, makes little sense to me.

No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a great temporary contouring solution while waiting until funds have been saved or other factors stabilized such as weight loss.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

1. get the best surgeon, it's worth all the money, never save money if posible

2.you can do sit ups lift weights before surgery, no problem at all i did that too but i had to stop cause i'm still recovering right now, if you want to lose weight go for NO CARB thats how i'v lost 5KG in the last 3 weeks (since i left the klinik) from 90 to 85 and i'm going for 74 at a height of 180cm. vegies can be mixed with cheese, delicious! and drink 2-3 liters of water every day to help your digestion.

3. either it's a hormon problem wich usualy gets treated with pills or they don't know how to do my NO carb.

4. if your testosterone levels are ok now there should be nothing to worry about (if you notice increase of breast size after surgery let them check your levels again.
if you can't accept yourself, you're just living to die soon

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024