Author Topic: What is a good result? Do I have BDD?  (Read 7490 times)

Offline deckard

• Posting Member
Ok, Ive come to a conclusion that there is a problem there. A minor one, that is inflated in my own mind. Surgery may be difficult to get here in the UK, but I will look in to it. If there are any surgeons reading this - please let me know your opinion on the photos!

I'm not going to self diagnose BDD for the moment though. I've bought 'The Broken Mirror' by Katherin A. Phillips MD - I'll read that first. I will admit to being a little obsessive, but I dont like the way psychologists like to label every personality type as a syndrome or a disorder..

Thanks again for your help guys. It was through this site that I got most of my information 3 years ago. Just wish I'd typed the words 'male breasts' in to google years before!

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
Deckard i wouldnt stick a label on you either. At the end of the day if you have had surgery and the result is still not 100% what you wanted then its going to be more difficult to live with than say a natural flaw. I think people are to easy to yell BDD at anyone whos not satified with their results. Its kind of like a get out clause for a surgeon as well to just say BDD. Who was your surgeon? If i the uk why not consult with Levick and get his opinion? He seems like a popular guy.

Offline hypo

Well you guys are really not going to like what I have to say now.

This community is great, but it can be a little bit self obsessive and does not always reflect what the general public thinks.

deckard you do not have gynecomastia and I would be very surprised if anyone outside of this community or perhaps the body building community would see any issue with your chest whatsoever.

You have a very, very minor physical issue, one that wouldn't upset 99.9% of people in the world and yet you want to surgically correct it to feel better about yourself- for me that is BDD.    

If you want to get surgery and the surgeon thinks he can get you a result to meet your expectations and you think it will help how you feel about yourself then fine that is your prerogative, it's your body after all.  If I were you though I’d talk to a counselor because I think that the real issue is how you see yourself.

I just hope you can be happy whatever you choose to do.

Offline deckard

• Posting Member
Well you guys are really not going to like what I have to say now.

This community is great, but it can be a little bit self obsessive and does not always reflect what the general public thinks.

deckard you do not have gynecomastia and I would be very surprised if anyone outside of this community or perhaps the body building community would see any issue with your chest whatsoever.

You have a very, very minor physical issue, one that wouldn't upset 99.9% of people in the world and yet you want to surgically correct it to feel better about yourself- for me that is BDD.    

If you want to get surgery and the surgeon thinks he can get you a result to meet your expectations and you think it will help how you feel about yourself then fine that is your prerogative, it's your body after all.  If I were you though I’d talk to a counselor because I think that the real issue is how you see yourself.

I just hope you can be happy whatever you choose to do.

If it wouldn't bother 99.9% of the male population, then there would be around 3 million men in the world that it would bother.

I do appreciate your comments, but I dont see the need to label it as BDD. Others can see why I don't like it - so its not entirely irrational. Can't we just call it vanity?

Im not excluding emotional problems entirely. Having gynecomastia since puberty effected me deeply, and I'm not completely over it. So seeing a shrink would be worthwhile..

Offline hypo

I never said it was irrational, I think there are rational and understandable reasons for why you feel as you do.

Best to you anyway.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024