Author Topic: working out  (Read 2423 times)

Offline tnel00son

• Silver Member
i having trouble getting a straight answer to this question. I work out ALOT. I do alot of heavy lifting and i want to know if i were to get surgery how much time would i have to take off?

Offline shiver

• Posting Member
i worked out about 6 days a week before surgery so i wasn't looking forward to taking a break either..so i can sympathize. anyhow..it was recommended that i not do any of my normal workouts for 4 weeks. i could walk..but not run. anything that would result in heightened breathing..i had to stay away from. at the 4th week, i started light lifting and that was definitely enough for me. i had tissue and gland removed.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
it was recommended that i not do any of my normal workouts for 4 weeks.

Ditto...  lay off heavy lifting for at least 3-4 weeks. After that, when you resume your chest work outs, listen to your body. If you expeience any pain, stop. Everyone heals at different rates. While one guy at 4 weeks is okay to lift, you may not be. Your body is the ultimate authority on when to start training again. Take heed in what your body tells you!   ;)

John.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 09:08:16 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Spleen

I had excision and lipo and I was back in teh gym in 10 days.  By 2 weeks I was doing light weights including bench.  Now that's my experience given my ability to heal.  Yours might be different.

DrBermant

i having trouble getting a straight answer to this question. I work out ALOT. I do alot of heavy lifting and i want to know if i were to get surgery how much time would i have to take off?

Return to activities depends on the problem to be treated, surgical technque(s), skill of your surgeon, after care, how you heal, and other factors.

I take care of many bodybuilders and almost universally they tell me that buiding muscle tends to push gland / fat further out.  Some general fat can obscure the gland, but general fat does not let the muscles look defined.  It does not take much extra tissue to really interfere with the cut look of a body builder.  Some body builders have large glands causing a pointed contour.  

I prefer my Dynamic Technique to manage such problems.  I use an artist's pallet of surgical tools to sculpt the tissue.  This permits me to work with gland, fat, and or skin for my sculpture.

Even with the best surgical techniques, this is real surgery and you need to let the tissues heal before they are pushed.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024