Author Topic: A different perspective than most  (Read 7428 times)

Offline ItsOK

• Bronze Member
  • Glorp.

Anyway I suppose we both agree on the fact that gyne surgery can certainly be a good thing, if proper research is done, you have realistic expectations, and it is carried out by an experienced surgeon.

Indeed, this is the bottom line.

I suppose that in the current US society, I shouldn't be surprised that there's a large and thriving group of plastic surgeons and that such surgery is becoming commonplace.  Of course, this doesn't change what we've both said -- the person contemplating surgery must do his homework because the chances of success are directly related to that process.  I haven't done a careful reading, but my impression is that most of the cases of the surgery not meeting expectations are from people who didn't do careful research beforehand.

Offline Boobsonme

• I'm a none conformist from the old school
I think the majority of people that have responded to this particular post, want to be free of gyne and you apparently don't, so maybe you should seek acceptance from those on another forum and support them, .

Sorry, I'm a newbe here, so maybe I'm not in sync with the rest of the world, but just where would the forum be found?  
The little old none conformist, ME

Offline ItsOK

• Bronze Member
  • Glorp.
Sorry, I'm a newbe here, so maybe I'm not in sync with the rest of the world, but just where would the forum be found?  
It should be this one, but by-and-large it's not.

This discussion group should be a place where people with gynecomastia can come for information and advice on how to cope with the condition.  If you choose to live with your body as it is, rather than go to a surgeon who will attempt to give you something more in line with what you think you want, you're in a minority here.

The vast majority of the people who post here are young men who are as much a victim of "fashion sense" as their young female peers.  Both sexes wear the latest clothes and strive for a body that fits the cultural stereotype.  A man with breasts does not fit the cultural stereotype.

The reality of the situation is that the cultural stereotype is of critical importance to people at that age.  While they may strive to be "different", they're desperately trying to fit in with their peers.  That's why surgery may actually be the right decision for many of these young men.  As has been summarized earlier in this tread, well-researched surgery with realistic expectations, from a competent surgeon, often provides a life-changing experience.

But there are many examples on this discussion group of surgery done for the wrong reasons, done at the wrong time, done by surgeons with little experience, and done with unrealistic expectations.  There's a pretty strong consensus that young boys who see breasts appear as they enter puberty should not run to the surgeon and get them removed immediately since this is a perfectly normal part of the process . . . yet when someone appeared looking for validation for getting surgery for a 12 year old, there was a flood of approving posts.  This is a great place to get support for your decision to have surgery -- even if it's the wrong decision.

So if you're a newbie here, please take what you read with a large grain of salt (this text included, of course).  Remember that the young men who grew out of their gynecomastia during puberty are not represented here since they don't have the condition.  This discussion group is a valuable resource but like any source of information it cannot be taken at face value, and should not be the only source used.

Offline fl3a

• Posting Member
well ive had the surgery so i am a little biased... but i did have some puffy ass nipples and have been ridiculed over it all my life. i would look in the mirror every day and the gyne would just stick out like a sore thumb... i absoultley hated it. even after losing 60 lbs it still made my body look feminine and sloppy. now ive had the surgery and im very pleased. The contour on my chest is like a normal mans chest and because this one thing was fixed it made my entire body look so much better... i never realized how much weight i really lost til the gyne was gone. I think if it bothers you a lot it would be a good idea to go get the surgery with a good doctor. If you can get on in life with gyne then do so. Just depends how it affects you. As for me, Ive made my decision. I had the surgery and am never looking back. I would do it all over again in an instant.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:38:48 PM by fl3a »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024