Author Topic: Calm down, take a deep breath!  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
I just wanted to make one last post on this site before I take a permanent vacation from my worries about my chest.  Basically, all I want to say is that if you're 2 months, 4 months, or 6 months post-op and you're freaking out: Calm down!  All this talk about scar tissue and other things shouldn't matter after a certain period of time.  I've even viewed quite a few pics of dudes on here (post-op) that claim they still have a problem when I can visibly see nothing!  That observation forced me to look at my own chest and judge whether or not I was making mountains out of molehills.  I too believed that I still had gyne and needed a revision surgery desperately.  But I realized that my problem was SO small that only I noticed it.  I didn't even take into consideration how lucky I was that I had had one surgery to reduce the problem about 95% of the way already.

For a little reassurance, I visited my PS today and discussed the surgery's results with him.  I am now 6 months post-op and the results I have are what I'm happily living with.  I say happily because compared to how I looked and felt before the operation, my situation now is so much better.  He basically told me that he thought the results were great and that I needed to quit worrying so much.  At first, I thought this was just something he'd say to get me off his back.  But then after thinking, if he didn't mean it, wouldn't he try to encourage me to get a revision surgery?  It's more money and work for him.  So I thought that maybe this is in my head and I just haven't accepted myself yet.  That's really what it came down to in the end.  It was my eyes still seeing the gyne on my chest, when there was none, and making a bigger problem out of it.  You have to understand that the procedure is a gynecomastia reduction, not a complete removal of all breast tissue in the chest.

I'm not in any way justifying what my PS told me.  But he's a good man, a great surgeon, and I respect his opinion very much.  And if he didn't want to or recommend a revision, I wasn't going to force him into it.  It is MY body after all!
Nor am I saying that revision surgery is a bad thing.  If you're PS is a good surgeon and recommends a revision, go for it!  But listen to them and don't just shoot down everything they say if they warn you against it.

What I am trying to say is, if you've had one good operation and you're still unhappy because of a minor issue, take a good look at yourself.  Are you making excuses?  Take time and learn to accept what you have and understand that your situation is so much better!  I know this change isn't overnight, but you've got to start somewhere.  Recovery isn't hard if you're willing to accept what you have, no matter the tiniest of imperfections.  Every guy has breast tissue!  Not every guy's body is meant to have a completely flat chest!  Nipples that puff out are one thing, but some breast tissue in your chest is completely normal.  Just don't smoke weed or take steroids and you'll survive.

I wish the best of luck to all those recovering and hope that if you find yourself in the same situation, take what I said here into consideration.  It's a last resort, but it may just be the answer to your problem.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:32:01 PM by Jake »
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Words to live by. Wish I was as mature and clearheaded at the age of 34 as you are at 19. Thanks for that, and best of luck in all you do.

dondante

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline biggieboobs

• Posting Member
thanks for the advise man!! i needed that. stay up and enjoy being gyne free!!  :)

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
Words to live by. Wish I was as mature and clearheaded at the age of 34 as you are at 19. Thanks for that, and best of luck in all you do.

dondante

Truthfully, I'm not clearheaded at all.  I'm just your average stubborn, self-conscious teenager that's been taught a lesson about how you view your body.

Gyne or not, you always have to think "big picture".  It's when you zoom the microscope in on the smallest parts of your life (i.e. your body) that you lose focus.  I still have quite a bit of maturing to do.  I have a feeling that my chest was one of my first major lessons.
Life isn't always fair, but there's a solution to every problem. 

In the end, it only makes you stronger.

Offline jimbob1988

• Bronze Member
You got pics of your chest? :p Just curious!

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
Yes, I have posts in the User photos sections of me at about 5 months post-op.  The Post-op pics aren't great quality but they give the general idea.  I'm not going to spend the time linking you to the posts so you can go find them yourself if you really want to.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024