Author Topic: Question about fat vs gland?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline landesman92

• Posting Member
Okay so Im an 18yr old and just started learning more about gynecomastia and surgery etc.But can someone tell me whats the diff between fat and gland on the chest?(like on a non obese/overweight person).And would fatty chest need surgery too especially if said man is totally skinny everywhere else?

Offline puffman1

• Posting Member
If you are skinny everywhere else and have an enlarged chest/nipples, chances are you have excess gland which would require excision through surgery. 

Offline landesman92

• Posting Member
Well my nips dont stick out,their just..spread out and kinda big.But my chest particurly right breast sticks real bad.Ive got pics on the other room.Theirs nothing hard there neither,which I thought was gland?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Don't get too wrapped up in the differences between gland and fat. Sometimes even the best of Dr.s cannot be sure one way or the other.

Disparity in size is not at all uncommon.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
If you are thin it is unlikely an excess of fat in your chest is causing your problem, especially at the age of 18.  Even if there is a small portion of fat involved, a good portion is most likely glandular tissue.  Of course, an exam is the only way to tell.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

DrBermant

Okay so Im an 18yr old and just started learning more about gynecomastia and surgery etc.But can someone tell me whats the diff between fat and gland on the chest?(like on a non obese/overweight person).And would fatty chest need surgery too especially if said man is totally skinny everywhere else?

The Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia consists of fat, gland and skin. Fat is softer tissue that compresses differently than the firmer gland. In the body fat is yellow. Gland is white just like the connective tissue. You can see many pictures of Gland Removed During Gynecomastia Surgery here.

Weight Loss can help with the fat component of gynecomastia, but not the gland. Unfortunately you cannot pick whre the fat comes from during weight loss.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024