Author Topic: Need your advice please  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
An emergency room is only required to treat emergency situations.  If you have cancer and show up at the ER, they're not going to give you radiation treatment.

That is true.  And that is why some sort of universal healthcare is really needed in the US.  Many people (particularly young people) do not buy health insurance because it is expensive.  Plus, they are young and "invulnerable" -- that is, until they are one of the few young people who become ill.  And then they demand to have their illness treated for free?  Huh?? 

Is it really a good idea to have an insurance company who has a vested interest in reducing the cost of our healthcare decide which procedures are medically necessary?

That is a whole can of worms.  The insurance companies "sold" the idea of cheaper healthcare to the US 20 years ago with "managed care."  It has really turned into "mangled care."  Why?  The insurance companies want to and must turn a profit for their investors.  They do so my carefully denying and delaying needed healthcare to the people who insure themselves with that company. And if you disagree with their decision to deny care, who can you appeal to?  Higher ups in the same insurance company!  What a great deal!  I am sure you will really get a sympathetic ear at the higher level.

Fairness and equity in health care is a huge national debate and there are no easy answers.  Everyone has an opinion -- but there is no equality for all (unfortunately).

To be continued -- but 'nuf said.  I won't comment anymore on this thread.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024