Author Topic: When is snug too snug?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
Bras over time do stretch out, but when do you move to the next row? I’ve had this particular bra for a bit and I’m worried that I tightened up just a little too soon. What tells you to it’s time too snug it up?

Offline Johndoe1

For me it's either when it doesn't support as well or the back wants to ride up or there is more  movement than you prefer or the underwire doesn't sit as far back as they used to or should.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 07:18:41 PM by Johndoe1 »
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Orb

I agree with above mentioned statements. 
One thing I have noticed for me is the fluctuation in my size due to water retention.  One week one way then a few days a notch tighter to achieve the same level of support and comfort. I do know most of my bras do relax, or stretch out a bit over time and I have to tighten a notch.  I was informed once to buy a bra that fits on the middle set of hooks and adjust as needed for body fluctuation's.  
True?
Many here have much more knowledge.

Offline Johndoe1

I agree with above mentioned statements. 
One thing I have noticed for me is the fluctuation in my size due to water retention.  One week one way then a few days a notch tighter to achieve the same level of support and comfort. I do know most of my bras do relax, or stretch out a bit over time and I have to tighten a notch.  I was informed once to buy a bra that fits on the middle set of hooks and adjust as needed for body fluctuation's. 
True?
Many here have much more knowledge.
Actually you buy a bra that you hook on the loosest hooks so as the bra stretches, you hook tighter.

Offline blad

As a bra stretches, I have noticed an increased tendency for he straps to side off my shoulders. That is when I go to the next hook.

I have also noticed that a freshly washed bra is a bit tighter initially. 
If the bra fits, wear it.

Offline curiousk

• Silver Member
I personally like my bra bands to be very snug.  I’ve always worn them like that.  When I take my bra off at night, you can see the marks for about a half an hour.  They are comfortable for me.  Due to rotating about 5 different bras, none have stretches a lot yet.

Offline Johndoe1

I have said this in another post, but it's worth repeating here, there's a general rule of the 100 Wear Rule. If you are wearing the correct size and shape bra and take care of it, you can expect about 100 wearings before it needs to be replaced. If you rotate your bras where they are worn once a week, you get 2 years of wear. If your bra has three sets of hooks, then roughly every 8 months should average the length of time you are on a set of hooks. Of course that's an average. I have personally found that the loosest set stretches out quicker because the fabric is new and is settling. I sit on the middle and tightest set much longer than I do the loosest. And if my weight fluctuates up and down like it has during COVID, I might be moving between hooks depending on comfort and support desired.

And I too like my band very snug for best support and comfort. I can't stand a loose bra. The effect of a loose bra is uncomfortable to me. Nothing is supported, everything is moving and bouncing and the bra won't stay in place. Might as well not be wearing one. Tugging and pulling on it constantly. Drives me crazy.

Busted (and happy)

Ideally start on loosest closures and gradually progress as bra stretches. This will maximise the life of the bra.
 The only logical reason I know of to start in the middle, like me,  is if your true band size is an odd number when measured. As measured under bust I am a 35 so the choice for me is 34 on loosest end hooks (too tight) or the work round is a 36 on the middle fixing.
Don't forget sister size the cups when deciding on which way to jump on band sizing.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
All good advice. I’m a fan of more snug than not and have been on my middle hooks for awhile now. COVID is keeping me there since I’ve gained 6 pounds in the last two months. Dang, weight loss or even maintaining is a bi*ch! 😏

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024