Author Topic: Mark's Gyne Diary  (Read 18861 times)

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Thank you, Dr. Pope.  I am very worried about this since there are other parts of my body that I am not happy with -- mostly my midsection, which has seen better days.  I didn't want to get lipo on my abs or love handles though because I am probably only about 10 lbs over my ideal weight. 

As I go through with this, I will try to be very gentle with myself. 

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Mark,

If you're in surgery for gynecomastia anyway, ask your PS to do a little lipo on your abdominal wall.  It's very easy to do, as he'll be using the lipo equipment anyway.  Since you're already under anesthesia, that's a perfect time to take away abdominal wall fat that doesn't go away easily with exercise. 

My point in my post was to be happy with your result and accept the positive change.  I'm not opposed to taking that positive step.  Ask your doc about your belly - it can't hurt to ask.  I sometimes throw that in at no charge because it takes very little extra time, and as we all know, patients pay a good bit for the gyne surgery already.

Good luck-

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Dr. Pope,

Is it possible to lipo the abdominal wall through the same incisions made under the arm to do the chest? 

During my consultation, the DR told me that if I wanted my abs/love handles done, I would need to have 4 incisions along the waist and then one in the navel.  The quote for doing this was also just as much as the gyne surgery.  Deciding not to have this done was both a matter of cost and not wanting scars along my waist for something I think I can work off. 

Thank you,

Mark

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
So today I had one of those typical days for any guy suffering from gynecomastia. 

I have friends staying with me from out of town and if there is one place that all tourists love to visit it is the springs here where everyone loves to...  dare I say it.....

SWIM

My friends have beautiful bodies and even though some of them complain about their six pack not being tight enough or their chest not being big enough they seem to take any opportunity to show them off.  I have had these friends for about a year and a half and believe it or not -- they have never seen ME without a shirt.  big surprise, right?  I am sure I have been asked to go to the beach several times and I am sure there have been times when it would have normal to change in front of each other but I have always figured out a way out of being exposed. 

It was a beautiful day here and I heard they had a great time at the springs -- one of them got a little sun burnt.  I, of course, needed to nap and work on something at home so I couldn't or didn't want to go. 

I wonder if I will ever be able to enjoy this sort of outing with friends. 

• Supporting Doctors
Mark,

You typically need to make several small incisions to adequately suction the abdominal wall and flanks or "love handle" area.  But these incisions are small, maybe 1/2 inch in length, and they are made below the waistline or in the groin area  :o so they can be hidden by even a brief bathing suit.  Not a big deal.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
6 days from today, I will be in the operating room. 

The biggest disappointment for me in the month preceding my surgery is that I have not been able to prepare like I wish I could have.  As thrilled as I am to have this procedure, it is not my only problem and my depression has been pretty heavy this month.  I have not felt like going to the gym or eating well. I have had some binges, which are pretty typical for me when I am down. 

The good news is that I have been following the doctors orders when it comes to what to avoid and what to eat the two weeks before surgery -- he said no garlic, no secondhand smoke, no aspirin -- lots of protein, vit C, bromelain and zinc. 

I have followed those instructions.  I bought a scale yesterday and am about 15 lbs heavier than I would like to be. 

The surgery is going to help but it will not make me a happy person. 

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
good luck wit the surgery in a couple days.
dont stress about not stickin with ur workout plan. to be honest, whatever muscle u would of gained during those few week will be gone by the time you're able to workout again after the surgery.
the most important thing is how well u stick with a workout post op

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Thanks Hello,

I leave for NY tomorrow morning.  I am sort of glad that I don't need to see any of my old NY friends until I have had the surgery.  My plan though is actually to have the surgery and then retreat to Bucks County for a few days of solid rest at one of my friends farms. 

I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be maintaining a diet of about 2000 cals/day.  This is one of my goals.  I am definitely an overeater if not a binge eater. 

I went back and forth on deciding whether or not to have my abs and love handles done as well during the gyne procedure but eventually decided that is was just too much money (an additional $6500!) and I am not sure it will look all that great.  I am yet to see a lipo job on the abs that I think looks really great.  I think when it comes to the midsection lipo does not match diet and exercise.  If I am wrong, show me some photos!

I am going to try to post some pics before I leave tonight so you can all see what I am working with here  ;-)  I have been a little reluctant to post pics because to be honest I just don't like the way I look all that much and its hard for me to look. 

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
I had my surgery yesterday with Dr. Jacobs.  It seemed to go very smoothly but I have not taken off the very tight compression binder so I do not know what I look like.  The binder is pretty uncomfortable and seems to be bruising my right underarm.  I have taken tylenol with codeine twice but in general I am in no pain.  I am pretty sore though especially if I touch my chest. 

What I really dont like about the binder is that it makes my stomach look huge!  Fortunately I am feeling a very strong conviction now to eat moderately and exercise as soon as I am allowed to.  Theres no way I am going through all this -- psychologically, physically and financially only to still hate my body!! 

I will see Dr Jacobs again on Thursday and then head back to TX. 

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
3 days post-op!  Yesterday morning I took off the bandages and the binder.  At first I was a little worried because there was some swelling in my left lower breast that seemed disproportionate to my right side but later realized that this happened because the binder was not uniformly tight.  after a few hours of wearing the binder properly the imbalanced swelling went down and I thought I lookedun believable!  Dr Jacobs thought the result so far looked fantastic.  I was so happy yesterday to walk around NY feeling confident about my body for the first time in almost 2 decades!  I could look in the windows and mirrors and feel good about my reflection!!  My chest looks normal to me.  The binder is super tight but Dr J said I needed it to be for a really fine result.  He compared the situation to a sponge filled with water.  In order to get rid of the water you have to squeeze.  The binder is squeezing the swelling/fluid out of my chest area so that it will heal flat and reduce scar tissue.  I have a long journey ahead and I need to be patient.  One of the best parts of going through with this surgery is that I have felt a renewed commitment to watching my diet.  I need to eat moderately and healthfully.  If I do I will heal better and my stomach will shrink!  I can not wait until I can get to the gym and work out my new lean chest!  It appears that I have no dips, creases, lumps or deformities post-op.  Thank goodness and thank you Dr Jacobs! 

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
I am home and have posted some photos online.  Let me know what you think! 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31729366@N03/

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
Looks great man. I'd say he did a perfect job.
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Thanks Begone,

Have you had surgery yet? Do you have any pics on here? 

M

• Supporting Doctors
Great result!  You look really good, and you're still swollen and bruised.  Nice job!

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Pope,

I am really happy about the result.  The other good bit of news is that my diet improved several days before the operation in an effort to get my nutrition right for proper healing and I have kept up with the healthful eating.  I feel very good about all this.

I just really hate wearing this tight binder! 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024