Author Topic: Time off work  (Read 2989 times)

Offline nearlythere

• Posting Member
I had a consultation today with Dr Benito and i stupidly forgot to ask about time off work! I work as a hospital porter so i move heavy people. How long will i need off work and who signs me off work? the GP or Benito himself

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
go see your gp and he will give you a sick note
tell your boss your having surgery to remove some lumps.
and your doctor can right "post surgery" on the sick note without going into detail :)
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline nearlythere

• Posting Member
how much time will i need off?

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
My job involves some heavy lifting and pushing of heavy trolleys. I was signed off for 4 weeks by the surgeon (this was after remaining in hosptial for five days after the op). Some people need 1 or 2 weeks, some need more. I was told not to drive for at least 4 weeks, though i was perfectly fine to do so after two.

Offline outertrial

Dr Benitos technique is pretty thorough and  it depends on your healing. I do a desk job and could have gone back to work a few days after, though I couldnt reach for stuff very well for a couple of weeks. I was happy sightseeing in Barcelona on post op day 2 though I could feel the vibration of walking in my chest so kept it slow. My results were without complication though, I had no swelling or post op bleeding to speak of, though it was very bruised as you can see from my pics.

After about week 1 the problem was more mobility than pain. The tissue on your chest is tight and hard. I could lift fine within the restrictions of this but it was uncomfortable to raise my arms upwards, or stretch out to pick something off a shelf above me for example.

If youre being conservative go for 4 weeks, though you could reasonably expect to be back at work after 7 to 14 days and pushing a trolley. Youll be stiff but no stiffer than if youd pulled something lifting weights or playing tennis.

I took it off  as holiday but if you want to get signed off by your GP you should ask Dr Benito in advance  to write you him or her a letter explaining what you had done. Most GPs will understand the embarrassment and write you a fairly vague sick note.

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
2 weeks will be a good start and youll know if you need more afterwards :)

Offline BigLouJr

• Silver Member
No more than two weeks.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024