Author Topic: How severe is my case of Gynecomastia?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Gallego

• Posting Member
Hello all at Gnecomastia.org

My issues began at the age of 13-14. At first, my nipples began to get puffy and felt tender and painful. The discomfort went away a few years later but the nipples remained in a puffy state. I went to various doctors and they all promised it would go away on its own after puberty. Well, I am 24 years old and the problem still exists. I would like opinions on how severe you think it is and whether I should opt for surgery or continue exercising or just "live with it".

I'm currently exercising vigorously, doing weightlifting and cardiovascular exercise. I'm also maintaining a low fat, high protein diet. Been doing so for 6 months already. My chest feels firmer but the nipple area remains the same, soft and feels fatty. Don't know if the following information is relevant: I am 5'11" and I weigh 160 pounds. My ethnic background is from Northern Spain, Galicia. Thanks for taking the time to read  :)

Below are the photos:

Offline balalayka

• Silver Member
Whether you should opt for surgery or not is for you to decide. If this things bothers you and is holding you back from doing things like going to the beach or if you're just self conscious about it then it might be worth while considering surgery. Your case should be an easy fix for any good surgeon. It's not severe at all.

Offline Gallego

• Posting Member
Thanks for the advise. I have ambivalent thoughts when it comes to my issue. At times I want to eradicate the issue via surgery and at other times I decide to live with it and hope it goes away with exercise. It's a perpetual roller coaster ride in my head. Needless to say it is indeed affecting me a great deal. I am very self conscious about it.

DrBermant

Hello all at Gnecomastia.org

My issues began at the age of 13-14. At first, my nipples began to get puffy and felt tender and painful. The discomfort went away a few years later but the nipples remained in a puffy state. I went to various doctors and they all promised it would go away on its own after puberty. Well, I am 24 years old and the problem still exists. I would like opinions on how severe you think it is and whether I should opt for surgery or continue exercising or just "live with it".

I'm currently exercising vigorously, doing weightlifting and cardiovascular exercise. I'm also maintaining a low fat, high protein diet. Been doing so for 6 months already. My chest feels firmer but the nipple area remains the same, soft and feels fatty. Don't know if the following information is relevant: I am 5'11" and I weigh 160 pounds. My ethnic background is from Northern Spain, Galicia. Thanks for taking the time to read  :)

You have a subtle case of gynecomastia called Puffy Nipples and can find many similar examples by searching for "Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia."

Re: How severe is my case of Gynecomastia?
is a common question here in this forum. It is mild enough that some will ask you why are you concerned. Some of my patients with a D cup size breast would kill to get as small a problem as yours. Yet my bodybuilders with an even more mild form of gynecomastia would be horrified with the large distortion of your chest, it does not take much to distort the cut look of a male chest. Check out this prior post and my more detailed answer here:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=10272.msg142723;topicseen#msg142723

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are slender, in shape and have had this condition (puffy nipples) for a number of years.  It will not get better on its own.

You have several options:
a)  live with it
b)  wear body compression garments to provide a better shape
c)  have surgery to remove it once and for all

About surgery:  It will leave a scar around the edge of the areola -- which heals well and becomes barely noticeable over time.  Also, this is not easy or minor surgery, despite what you may think.  Sometimes these cases can be extremely challenging to a surgeon, even an experience gyne surgeon.  If you decide on the surgical route, then please research your surgeon carefully and make sure he has sufficient interest and experience in this particular operation.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline henry 41

• Bronze Member
Regardless of what anyone tells you, you do not have Gynecomastia. You do have slightly larger than average nipples, but that has nothing whatever to do with gynecomastia. Millions of men have larger than average nipples, and millions of men have smaller than average nipples. Your photos show no breast tissue at all. Period. It is not right to create a condition which in reality doesn't exist.

If you are somehow ashamed of having slightly larger than average nipples, then you could have surgery to make them smaller, but remember that surgery always involves a risk of deformation and disfigurement, many photos of which are available for viewing on the site. You would need to go to the world's finest surgeon, to try to minimize the risks involved.

Personally, I have seen many sculptures in Rome, Italy, of men with nipples exactly like yours. Perhaps in antiquity healthy sized male nipples were considered to be aesthetically desirable. I think that most persons wouldn't give your chest a second look, unless it were one of admiration of your well developed physique.

Offline Gallego

• Posting Member
Thanks for the opinions and advice fellas. I'm going to continue putting emphasis on the diet and cardio and hopefully reduce my bodyfat lower. I'll see how it looks then in another 6 months from now.

Offline Mark102

• Silver Member
I think you have some gland behind you're nipples. As the doctor said, many people with more severe cases would kill for your chest..you seem pretty slim, so dieting and exercise (reducing body fat) won't change your chest much more. Maybe doing different chest exercises could help, but it may also push the gland out further.

Anyway, all of this comes down to how your chest affects you.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024