Author Topic: For the Docs: Question about chest exercises pre-op  (Read 2545 times)

Offline moobyblues

I'm looking for some input from the doctors.  I am considering having the surgery sometime duringin the next six months.  I have been doing a lot of cardio to lose weight and for general fitness.  I want to start adding resistance training but I was worried that building a lot of chest muscle might make the surgery and/or recovery more difficult.  Can you speak to both the benefits and downside of having a lot of muscle in that area and having the surgery.

Thank you gentleman  ???

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
I'm looking for some input from the doctors.  I am considering having the surgery sometime duringin the next six months.  I have been doing a lot of cardio to lose weight and for general fitness.  I want to start adding resistance training but I was worried that building a lot of chest muscle might make the surgery and/or recovery more difficult.  Can you speak to both the benefits and downside of having a lot of muscle in that area and having the surgery.

Thank you gentleman  ???

I'm no doctor, but I can tell you from experience that the only negative effect that chest exercises will have are that they will make your chest larger and your gyno will seem worse.  However, if your getting surgery soon, that really won't matter.  Other than that, there is no downside to doing chest exercises before your surgery.  Your chest will just look that much better after the surgery.  The more fat you can lose and the more muscle you can build, the better your surgery results will be. 

DrBermant

Thank you gentleman  ???

I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia.  Building muscle is great for sculpting the muscles, but many complain whatever is on top of the muscles, just gets pushed out further.  For the individual with loose sagging skin or muscles, bodybuilding can be an effective tool for shaping the chest.  I know of no muscle building techniques that help with basic healing issues or preparation for surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Certainly exercise in general can only help you.  I would not get bent out of shape trying to build muscle on your chest, however.  There is no exercise that will make your surgery better or worse. The surgery is directed to the excess tissues (fat and breast tissue) on top of the muscle, so the amount of muscle underneath doesn't affect the surgery at all.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline moobyblues

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.  My concern was more about whether having a lot of muscle would make the recovery more painful (ie more muscle trauma) but it sounds like the tissue being removed is all on top of the muscle.  Very convenient.

Thanks again

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024