Author Topic: Chest workout potential surgery compromise  (Read 1748 times)

Offline booboy

• Posting Member
Went for a consultation regarding my gynecomastia. Have been consistently working out for 2 years. Current bodyfat is around 25-24%. I decided with the suggestion of the surgeon to further reduce my bodyfat, he also mentioned I should avoid chest exercises to reduce further stretching the skin on my chest so that I can avoid a possible skin reduction procedure when excising the gland.

I always thought working out the chest would give the skin muscle something to 'rest on' after the procedure. I never thought it could actually compromise the results.

Has anyone else felt that working out the chest possibly compromised their results? or worsened the appearance of their gynecomastia?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is absolutely no harm in exercising.  In fact, having bulkier chest muscles can help take up some of the laxity of the chest skin after gyne surgery has removed the excess tissue.  At present, it not your muscle that is stretching out the skin, it is excess fat and breast tissue of your gyne.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline booboy

• Posting Member
Well the surgeon with whom I had the consultation said I was on the verge of needing a skin reduction along with the gland exicsion. My chest muscles were causing the region to 'droop' and he cautioned me to restrict excercises involving the chest until I had undergone the procedure.

The doctor mentioned that he has had roughly 300-350 patients with gynecomastia. He is a plastic surgeon but he also does a number of other procedure. Its been terribly difficult to find a surgeon who only just does male breast reduction surgery in Australia, Sydney.

Thanks for your input doc!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024