Author Topic: Surgery tomorrw, but not what you might think.  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
At 0500 tomorrow morning I will check in at the hospital.   I am having a Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (Triple).
The bad news is that I need to have the surgery.  The good news is that it is not an emergency but something that has been in the plans for a few months.  So lots of thought and preparation has gone into this.  
I explained it to one of my grandsons by saying that it was like having a pickup with 300.000 miles on it that is 16 years old but has never been in an accident and has no rust anywhere.   I am definitely High Mileage, and my warranty ran out years ago, but in good enough condition to be worth an overhaul.  
The Doctors said to allow 6 weeks for revery, but I should be back here long before that.  
Meanwhile, be nice to each other.  Prayers and good wishes are appreciated.  
Dan.  
Grandpa Dan

hammer

Dan good luck, you will be in our thoughts & prayers my friend!

Offline Herbert

• Bronze Member

Offline igotum

• Bronze Member
Paa_Paw Dan

I had the same operation in 2003, mine was a quad. I had a heart attack as well. I pray for you in the name of Jesus. It is not a walk in the park  but you result will be better than mine I think. I am 71 now and need the operation again but they won't do it because of the high risk. At University of Alabama said I only  had a 10% chance of making it out alive and I didn't like those odds so I am severely limited on what I can do. No walks in the woods.
 I will be in prayer for you Sir Dan!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
the surgery is over, Actually it has been over for a long time.   A Coronary Artery Bypass Graft is abbreviated CABG which is pronounced like Cabbage.
The operation went well but everything went south in the ICU.  First, My heart rhythm would not stabilize, My Kidneys shut down, and I developed Pneumonia.   Instead of the expected 24 to 36 hours in ICU, I was there for nine days.  that was followed by 20 days in a rehab facility.  Then three days at home.  I then had a follow up visit with the surgeon who sent me to the ER, CT Scan, Admission and Surgery the next day. The sternum had separated needing follow up surgery.  Recovery at least in the early stages went much smoother this time. I now have 4 plates and 24 screws holding my sternum together.   I am now going grocery shopping, visiting friends and going for regular walks.  I am planning a two week camping trip for next summer.  (Tent  Camping)  I am also hoping to make a 50+ mile backpacking trip next summer.  I am the only 80 year old that I know of that is still doing such things.  In fact, while my kids are still camping, if I want companions for a Hiking or Backpacking trip, I need to round up some grandchildren. 
It was not that long ago that they would not have done this surgery on a man my age because the risk was too great.    But things change and my Doctors seem to think I am good for at least another 10 years.
My father died at 73, and the family history shows that no male member of the family had ever lived that long before.  I have outlived him by 7 years and I am not ready to check out yet.   When the angel of death wants me, he will have to catch me first. 

hammer

Thanks be to God we'll be seeing your wisedom around here yet Dan! I can't tell you how pleased I am that it all went well, "in the end"!

It must have been a test! You pasted!

Your front is looking like my back, full of metal!  You got a plate and screws, I have rods and screws!

BTW, back surgery #4 consultation is scheduled for January 4th, not sure when I'll have the surgery yet. The VA is sending it out to the U of M! It will be the same doctor who did the other 3.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024