Author Topic: Vest- New boy  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Chge

• Posting Member
Hi Guys

I'm new to this site and have found it really helpful.  I'm 30 and up until recently thought my problem would go away when I lost weight.  Well it didn't and now a little of the weight has crept back on,  I've found this thing has started to consume my whole life leaving me miserable and depressed.  

I'm seriously considering surgery and have booked to see Levick on 9th May (i could get appointment with him quicker than my own GP!).   I'm not expecting a washboard flat chest, I just want to feel like a normal person for my weight.  I know people much heavy than me who don't have this problem.

My one question of many is around the compresion vests and if you have to wear one after surgery?  How long for?  How noticeable are they?.  Reason I ask is for things like holiday etc as i only really want to tell my wife what I'm going through

Any more info on what to ask etc would be greatfully received

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Recommended to wear it for approx three weeks day and night, then a couple of weeks more just at night

Barely notiecable unless someone's really looking hard, and then it tends to be the shoulder straps that give it away if say you're only wearing a tightish t-shirt (as you feel more inclined to do once you've just finally got rid of the bane of your life  ;) )

You could easily hide it by what you wear if you were determined to, although if you were going somewhere hot on holiday I guess it could get a bit uncomfortable

As for the rest, just let him examine you, check that your expectations are realistic, get any reassurances if like me you were a bit wary about the op itself

He covers most stuff anyway but if you're concerned about your weight ask what he recommends re any pre-surgery weight loss etc

Best of luck

Offline Chge

• Posting Member
Thanks mate.  I'll just go with what he says, if i'm best to leave for few months to lose a little weight to get better results then I'll do it.  I just need someone to show me the way forward...cos I'm all out of ideas!!!  ???

Thanks again....let you know how I go

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)
I heard that the nike pro compression vests are excellent ;and nobody will notice them compared to the compression vest which have velcro shoulder staps...lol

Offline Chge

• Posting Member
Hi

I'm pre-op and not due to see levick until Tuesday but I tried one of those nike compresion tops last night under a T-Shirt (which I would never normally where on a nite out).  It felt a little odd but a lot better than walking round with your hand pulling your t-shirt out all night!!! ;D.  

I'm also training for half marathon which I am finding very difficult now the weather has got warmer it's a bit much wearing three layers and a drill top to cover myself up so I'm hoping the Nike top will do the trick there as well

Offline markashleigh1979

Did it work well then>? Did it compress good?

I have just ordered the vest one ( Not the short sleeve t-shirt) ....i hope it works :)

Offline Chge

• Posting Member
Yea it was good, made we feel much more confortable just for walking around in the sun..not sure how good it will be for running etc thou when there's a bit more going on! :)...won't let it stop me thou want to try and get in better shape generally to try and give me better results if I go for op

I found them hard to get hold of but managed to get one on the Celtic Superstore website of all places

Offline markashleigh1979

I got mine from an online sport shop too....I got it for £18.00. Hopefullt it will be here next week.

How well did it compress? Did it make you flat?

I am asking because i intend to wear the compression vest from the clinic for one week and then swap to the NIKE pro vest.
I just hope it pushes everything in nice and tight :)
Did you order your normal size or go smaller?

Offline Chge

• Posting Member
Hi

I suppose that would depend on your size really mate but pretty much yea and I can't see anything being able to do a better job (but I'm no expert),

I had mine in large which is my usual size, it is really small  when you get it out the packet it looks like a kids top!, you just stretch it over you and then it  contracts tight all over so your normal should be fine, I wouldn't go too small or you won't be able to breath! ;D

Only thing i didn't like as it is near impossible to hide the neck from showing when wearing another t-shirt on top,

Offline markashleigh1979

Its fashonable to double up with t-shirts...lol  ;D

I am glad the top does the trick :) . I ordered a medium which should be ok as i am between medium & large :)

Thanks for your help.

Good luck with your marathon mate :)

Offline Chge

• Posting Member
I'll need it ;D

Cheers mate hope everything goes ok for you

Offline yorkshirelad_1979

• Posting Member
Hi Guys

I'm new to this site and have found it really helpful.  I'm 30 and up until recently thought my problem would go away when I lost weight.  Well it didn't and now a little of the weight has crept back on,  I've found this thing has started to consume my whole life leaving me miserable and depressed.  

I'm seriously considering surgery and have booked to see Levick on 9th May (i could get appointment with him quicker than my own GP!).   I'm not expecting a washboard flat chest, I just want to feel like a normal person for my weight.  I know people much heavy than me who don't have this problem.

My one question of many is around the compresion vests and if you have to wear one after surgery?  How long for?  How noticeable are they?.  Reason I ask is for things like holiday etc as i only really want to tell my wife what I'm going through

Any more info on what to ask etc would be greatfully received

Hey dude, good to hear from people a bit closer to home.  Ive recently developed gyno and like you said its taken over my life,i wont go out in shirts, im always bad tempered, i need to get surgury.  ive had prices arund £2000,  im definately going to have the surgury but i just need to research where.   What have you opted for?
Who Trains............WINS

Offline Chge

• Posting Member
Hello Mate

Yea I've lived with this cr*p for too long now, I'm going on holiday in sept and am hoping i can relax a bit more round the pool as I'll hopefully be on my way to a better way of life by then

I'm seeing Paul levick this week for my first consultation, he works out the priory in Edgebaston, and you'll see a lot about him on this site

I'll let you know how I get on with him

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024