Author Topic: Surgery timings and recovery  (Read 2044 times)

Offline jimbojet

Hey I signed up a few weeks ago and am now getting round to writing my first post.

I've had gyne since I was 11 and I'm now 19. I've managed to get round it by doing those things that every gyne sufferer does, no need to write them out here, and I am now considering surgery as a real option rather than just a distant possibility.

The main issue is recovery and the timeframe: I run for my uni athletics team and the biggest match of the year is on May 15th so I can't have surgery before then because it would put me out of the team. I was considering having it the week following the match, i.e 17th May onwards, but I have my first year (UK) university exams starting on 14th June. If I had the op on 17th/18th May I would have less than four weeks between the operation and my first (of eight) exams. Would it be unrealistic of me to think I could recover within 30 days to an extent where I could perform properly my exams without the surgery affecting me? I'm 19, weigh 80kg (176lbs) and am 6ft1in (185cm) - BMI is 23.4 - and I'm fit from my athletics training; I presume fitness helps recovery along, but again, would I still be risking my exam performance if I had 30 days to get back to a level of recovery (obviously not complete recovery because that takes months, maybe a year with scarring etc) that was fine for exams?
Thanks,
jimbojet

DrBermant

Hey I signed up a few weeks ago and am now getting round to writing my first post.

I've had gyne since I was 11 and I'm now 19. I've managed to get round it by doing those things that every gyne sufferer does, no need to write them out here, and I am now considering surgery as a real option rather than just a distant possibility.

The main issue is recovery and the timeframe: I run for my uni athletics team and the biggest match of the year is on May 15th so I can't have surgery before then because it would put me out of the team. I was considering having it the week following the match, i.e 17th May onwards, but I have my first year (UK) university exams starting on 14th June. If I had the op on 17th/18th May I would have less than four weeks between the operation and my first (of eight) exams. Would it be unrealistic of me to think I could recover within 30 days to an extent where I could perform properly my exams without the surgery affecting me? I'm 19, weigh 80kg (176lbs) and am 6ft1in (185cm) - BMI is 23.4 - and I'm fit from my athletics training; I presume fitness helps recovery along, but again, would I still be risking my exam performance if I had 30 days to get back to a level of recovery (obviously not complete recovery because that takes months, maybe a year with scarring etc) that was fine for exams?
Thanks,
jimbojet

Recovery time for this surgery is something like a sprain.  Planning timing after surgery is like planning how long someone is out with a sprain.

This is real surgery and tissues need a chance to heal before stressed.  Time to return to activities depends on the problem to be treated, what needs to be done, surgical technique, stress that activity creates on the healing tissues, after surgery care, and many other factors.  Some doctors advocate quick return to activity but then new swelling typically means new injury. While pushing injured tissues in hand surgery can help tendons and joints from sticking, with cosmetic male chest surgery that further injury seems to  offer little advantage. Why push a sprain injury early?  Getting a World Series pitcher back on the mound may win a game, but will there be permanent damage? Take a cut finger and open a jar too soon, the jar may get opened but you may just tear open the healing wound.

My patients are typically back to thinking the day after surgery. Being able to think clearly requires being comfortable and not needing strong pain medications. Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery is an art form. This varies from doctor to doctor. Although my patients are given a strong pain medication, almost all tell us that plain Tylenol is more than enough. They typically relate their comfort to having a heavy chest workout.

Such issues are best discussed with your surgeon. Modifications from a good after surgery plan is a great formula for disaster.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Although recovery is variable, being in excellent health and fitness is a major plus going into surgery.  It bodes for a speedy recovery.

Further, I truly don't think you have anything to worry about as concerns surgery affecting your performance on exams -- especially one month after contemplated surgery.

Best of luck on your exams!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024