Author Topic: Cautiously optimistic  (Read 2204 times)

Offline st23

• Posting Member
Is it true that it takes about 6 mo's to a year to look "normal" following surgery? I'm scheduled March 15th. Does this mean I'll be forced to sport the shirt on the beach and pool look all summer and won't reap the benefits until 2013?
This would be a real bummer. Any info would help guys,thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Obviously, everyone is different.  Surgeons' techniques differ and patients heal differently as well.

What you have heard is that it takes around 6 months or so for everything to heal from gyne surgery.  But speaking for my patients, most of them look good to go in 2-3 months after surgery.  It doesn't mean they are absolutely fully healed -- but certainly they are good for a walk on the beach with no embarrassment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline st23

• Posting Member
I no every situation is different. Generally speaking,would the swelling involved in the first couple of months be noticeable with a shirt on? I have a mild case, I'm wondering if the swelling would be greater,less then or more than the existing mild gyno. I have so many thoughts swirling around with the surgery next month. This forum is a Godsend!

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, there is no way to predict how well or how long it will take for anyone to heal from surgery, including residual swelling, bruising, etc.  First, it depends on how much work is needed to be done on you.  Second, it depends on the surgeon's technique and aftercare, which will significantly impact any potential swelling, etc.

Best is to speak to your surgeon to get his assessment on your particular situation.

Dr Jacobs

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
I suppose every case is different. My surgery is scheduled for March 27. My doctor has said I should be able to be at the beach towards the end of summer. I would be ecstatic to be healed enough to be carefree and shirtless in August.  But until then still got the nice black swim top (rash guard) I have always had.

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
I had my surgery on January 12th (this year), and I will be heading out to the beautiful beaches of Punta Cana at the end of March.  And DAMMIT, I'm not wearing a shirt!  It's only been a little less than 5 weeks since, and I think I look good enough now to go shirtless.  I had a moderate (to severe) case, and I'm 38 yrs old which also plays a big part of how long and how well you heal afterwards.  I think everything turned out great, even with the swelling still there.  I know that no one would give my chest a second though right now if I took off my shirt.  If your case is less severe, like Dr.Jacobs said, that will benefit you as well because you will not need as extensive a surgery as some others.  I wouldn't fret about it, you'll be on the beach sooner than you think!
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline jb123

• Posting Member
My surgeon said up to 6 months as well but I don't really understand what still needs to heal for that long?

I had surgery a week ago and I don't have any swelling, the bruising is almost all gone, I just have some discolouration and a scar from the incision. I can feel some scar tissue under the incisions but it isn't noticeable.

What's going to change between 1 months and 6 months? I don't understand.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Healing after gyne surgery can take up to six months on average -- less in some very young and healthy guys and longer in others (I have seen healing up to a year or more).

Healing is more than the absence of a bruise or minimal/absent swelling.  Healing continues under the skin and it is dictated by Mother Nature.  Neither the patient nor the surgeon have much influence over the natural healing processes.  Sometimes everything heals smoothly and the result is a fantastic looking chest with smooth contours, flat areolas and minimal scars.  Other times, there may be a buildup of scar tissue, or the scars may be prominent or there may be prolonged firmness or decreased sensation. There may also be minor twinges, tweaks, pulls, etc -- which come and go until they gradually fade away -- permanently. All of these tend to settle down over time -- but one must be patient.

I usually tell my patients that they can return to full activity at about one month after surgery -- but that there is continued, slow healing under the skin.  It will take many months for everything to soften, for the skin to move naturally over the underlying muscle, for the scars to become virtually un-noticeable and for full sensation to return to the skin and nipples.  This process is very very slow -- it just kind of sneaks up on you until one day you can touch your chest, look at it and say that it looks and feels totally natural and as if no surgery had ever been performed.  THAT is full healing.

Dr Jacobs

Offline jb123

• Posting Member
Thanks for your response, Dr. Jacobs.

I got a couple different time tables from my nurse and surgeon so I'm not too sure what to think.

Would you say 3-4 weeks to return to something like basketball and 5-6 weeks for body building?

Or once the skin has healed, does it really just come down to how I feel and what I can do without any discomfort?

Thanks

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For my average patient, four weeks is sufficient time to resume sports activities.  There will, of course, be some pulling and tightness in your chest -- but you can work through that slowly.  If there is pain, however, that is your body talking to you and would back off.

Your surgeon is the best person to assess when you can and should return to full activities -- and since everyone heals at different rates, would certainly defer to your surgeon in this regard.

Dr Jacobs

Offline jb123

• Posting Member
Thanks for your input!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024