Author Topic: newbie need answers  (Read 3098 times)

Offline ready to go

First off maybe I am a little naive but...

I have been living with BS for 15 years.
Finally have the $$$ to do the surgery.

Whats all the fuss about what doctor is doing the surgery?
Correct me if I am wrong but it is a fairly simple procedure, for a plastic surgeon right?

I live in Virginia and have scheduled a consult and  surgery all via email in Madison, WI with a fella named Dr. Wood.
The only reason for doing the surgery there is to avoid telling friends and co-workers in Va. about the procedure. 
My parents live in WI. so they will be able to put me up while I am there.

A few other questions though...

My plan is to have the surgery done on July 9th, drive back to Virginia July 12th, and move into a new apartment on July 14th.  Return to work July 17th.

Do you think my expectations are reasonable? Or am I smoking crack?

Any information any of you with experience could provide would be helpful.

JP

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
You live in VA? 
Call Dr. Bermant before you make your final decision.  He's one of the most respected and experienced  gynecomastia surgeons in the world.  People fly from all over the world to have him do their gyne surgeries.  He lives almost in your back yard.   It's a "no-brainer".

To answer your question, no it's not a simple procedure.  You can really mess yourself up by seeing a good plastic surgeon who's lacking gyne experience.   ;)

Good luck.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline flex1appeal

You have to remember, plastic surgery is more of an art than other types of surgery performed. Would you rather have me paint you a picture or picaso for the same amount of money? That is the best way I can put it to you.

As for your second question, going back to work that soon is fine as long as you have a desk job. I wouldn't work that soon after if your job entails lifting often. You need like 3 weeks to recover for lifting heavier objects. I definately would not move yourself that soon after surgery. Hire movers to lift for you.

Offline ready to go

I appreciate all the advice but here is the thing.  I am on a timeline.  I am in the military and can't just take leave whenever I feel like it.  I am just coming off a 6 month deployment and they are giving me 14 days of leave.  I am going to be in Wisconsin anyway visiting family.  So I decided to get it done while I am there.  If I could do the surgery in Va. with Dr. Bermant I would but that would also involve me telling my command why I need the time off.  I want to avoid this at all costs.  By doing it in Wisconsin I can avoid anyone knowing about the procedure with the exception of my parents.  I appreciate you trying to help and looking out for my best interests, but its a done deal.  I just need advice on the recovery process.  Timeframe?  reasonable expectations?  etc?

DrBermant

I appreciate all the advice but here is the thing.  I am on a timeline.  I am in the military and can't just take leave whenever I feel like it.  I am just coming off a 6 month deployment and they are giving me 14 days of leave.  I am going to be in Wisconsin anyway visiting family.  So I decided to get it done while I am there.  If I could do the surgery in Va. with Dr. Bermant I would but that would also involve me telling my command why I need the time off.  I want to avoid this at all costs.  By doing it in Wisconsin I can avoid anyone knowing about the procedure with the exception of my parents.  I appreciate you trying to help and looking out for my best interests, but its a done deal.  I just need advice on the recovery process.  Timeframe?  reasonable expectations?  etc?

We take care of many patients from the military from around the world.  It is easier to sculpt tissue that has not been compromised with prior surgery.  Picking your surgeon carefully is very important.

Recovery after surgery depends on the original problem, what was done, injury during surgery, bruising, skill of your surgeon, after care, how you heal and other factors.  Although I do not tear the muscle, the recovery is sort of like a sprain you can get back when your body lets you, not before.  The body does not heal on a time schedule.  Push it too far too soon and you will set yourself back.  My patients are typically walking around comfortably with very little to no pain medication the day after surgery.  The walking is fine, bouncing is not comfortable. Putting the arms up over the head, now that is putting injured tissues under strain. 

I prefer to individualize the recovery plan for each of my patients.  Such issues are best explored during a consultation with the doctor with who you are planning surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024