Author Topic: Gyne and hormone imbalaces  (Read 5228 times)

Offline 30yrold

• Posting Member
Hi

There was a guy on here that was really good at analysing hormone levels - and I was wondering if he / someone could take a look at mine and see if there is any abnormalities. I understand from this site that even if certain levels are deemed to be in the 'normal range' - there can still be problems?

I have a pituitary tumour - that has significantly shrunk over a period of 3 years - prolactin was 10,000, testosterone was about 2 - 3. These are my current blood test results:

Prolactin 88 miu/l - (Normal 54 - 381)

Testosterone - 23.86 nmol/L (Normal - 6.07 - 27.10)

Luteinising Hormone 10.2 iu/L

Serum FSH 6.3 IU/L

oestradiol - 75 pmol/L

Any help would really be appreciated as all I get from endo's is that things are all in the normal range - and I want surgery but i'm sure i'm still growing  breast tissue - so need to try to sort the reason first.

Thanks

Offline hidden_from_society

• Posting Member

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
There was a guy on here that was really good at analysing hormone levels

Yeah, that would be 'Hypo-is-here', formerly 'Hypo'. Hypo no longer visits the boards  :-\  (long story)....   

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
There was a guy on here that was really good at analysing hormone levels

Yeah, that would be 'Hypo-is-here', formerly 'Hypo'. Hypo no longer visits the boards  :-\  (long story)....   

GB

Yep, and his expertise is greatly missed.  Sad to say I think this forum has lost a leg to its chair (strange old westcountry UK saying)   ;)

We are fortunate to have 2 plastic surgeons who visit this board and offer advice.  We also have many patients who can offer the benefit of their experience regarding the surgery itself.  However what we don’t have is an Endocrinologist or someone like Hypo to advise on hormone levels and balances, which after all, are what causes glandular gyne in the first place.

I know one of the Endos I saw looks at this forum from time to time but sadly wouldn't get involved.  Maybe because he can't charge a fee lol  ;).  My cynicism is getting worse the older I get I’m afraid  :(

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:28:08 AM by Time_to_fix_it »
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
I can't help you, but thought I'd ask anyway, how did the tumor shrink? Was this result of surgery or meds or "just did"? As i have a non-working pituary too, booked in for a CT scan, presume they will find a tumor  :-\ just wondered what happens next really.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
You need  a "sensitive E2 assay "  blood test done, tell you DR you want E2 checked.  Can you convert that Test score to ng/dl (the American standard)

oestradiol is E2

and although lab ranges vary (and he doesn’t quote his lab range for oestradiol) the figure he gives of 75 pmol/L would be a healthy low value in the lab I use, whose range is 55 to 184.

I accept that measuring E2 is an inexact thing for most labs as the tests are based around women’s levels which are far higher, but even allowing for a reasonable +/- 20%, I would suggest his result is fine.  However getting the lab ranges would be helpful.

Offline 30yrold

• Posting Member
thanks for the replies.

Yeah - its helpful to have a range of people that can help with different subjects - shame he's not about.

I'm aware that on the surface it all looks ok and in the normal range - but apparently thats not enough - its also to do with the relationship of those levels of hormones to each other or something along those lines.?

Jackd

I've been on cabergoline (bromocriptine substitute) for 3 years and its sorted it right out. I'll continue to take the pills for as long as is necessary to keep it at bay. A good site is the pituitary foundation - and you'll find others there with the same condition as you - it helps to talk to people who understand what you're going through!

Cheers

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

I'm aware that on the surface it all looks ok and in the normal range - but apparently thats not enough - its also to do with the relationship of those levels of hormones to each other or something along those lines.?

I had hoped that someone with a lot more knowledge than me would have chipped in and commented on your post, because this is a topic that has affected me in the past.    However unless or until they do, here is my very limited understanding of such things.  I’m no doctor and a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing sometimes so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Yes I believe you are quite right, although the levels of androgens and oestrogens are important, the actual balance between them is also very important to.  There are other factors such as to sensitivity to androgens and oestrogens in the tissue itself, and the amount of free androgens (a common calculation done by an Endo is the Free Androgen Index.)

My understanding is that a person can have a high oestrogen level but if they also have a high test level then the balance can be healthy and there can be no problems.  Likewise if both levels are proportionally low.  A problem can arise when a patient has a “normal” level of test but a high level of oestrogen.  Likewise there can be a problem with “normal” levels of oestrogen but low levels of test. It is the balance between the two that seems to matter.

I am certainly not qualified or experienced enough to interpret your results, however if your lab ranges for oestrogen are similar to mine as I said in a previous post then, yes .. on the surface things look good.  Your test levels are in the upper third of the range and your oestrogen levels are in the lower third, which is I believe to be the generally accepted healthy balance.

You say you feel sure there is growth still taking place at the moment. Is there an obviously physical increase?  Some people experience tenderness/pain during growth so maybe this is the case.  Either way I would go back to your Endo and raise it again.  I briefly mentioned above about tissue sensitivity to androgens and oestrogens.  I have read that an individual can have all the “normal” levels and balances of androgens and oestrogens, but if the oestrogen receptors in the breast are particularly sensitive to oestrogen then maybe the action level for growth could be that much lower for that particular patient.

I hope this helps rather than confuses and if there is anyone out there who knows more about this then their input would be valuable.

Please keep us posted as to what happens.

Offline 30yrold

• Posting Member
Hi Time-to-fix-it

Firstly thanks for your time and effort!! Much appreciated.  8)

What you've said is very interesting - I will press for more involved testing - it helps to know more about what i'm actually asking them to do!

I've also read recently that - if the body is starved on a certain hormone over a long period of time (my testosterone was extremely low for 13 + years) - then the number and efficiency of that particular hormones receptors are decreased, and even if the balance is later restored they do not regenerate. Thus - the blood levels show hormone levels are fine (because its all floating around and not being absorbed) - but the body still can't make use of it in the way it should as the receptors are closed - or there are not enough!!

It doesn't give you a huge amount of hope when the subject is so involved and even the docs don't really know / don't have the money available to sort you out!

The reason I think it is growing is - I get on occasions little shooting pains as if they're growing a bit. Never any aches or prolonged pain but just intermittent stuff. And also physically i'm sure I can feel more of the little glandular lumps than I could for instance a year or so ago. Mine is very dispersed over the whole area and is very fluid and bouncy    :-\ Even with surgery I don't know how much it will improve as its very bouncy - can they sort this too - I suppose once a lot of the mass is removed it's less able to move?

Cheers - will let you know the outcome.

Offline Hypo-is-here

Once in a blue moon I look read posts..you have a private message, I thought it better to try to help rather than ignore for the sake of pride.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

Great to know you are still about Hypo  ;D

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Once in a blue moon I look read posts..you have a private message, I thought it better to try to help rather than ignore for the sake of pride.

Hypo, U Da Man dude....   8)

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024