Author Topic: How do I tell my parents I want surgery?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline anoone

I've had gynecomastia for about 3 years now. Ironically I discovered I had it when my dad went to get tested for it, he came out negative, but then he described it to me and I became worried about myself. My dad didn't take it seriously and I've known for sure I have it for about 2 and half years now. How do I tell him so he will take me seriously? He also usually comes up with some solution, and I have done research and working out helps nothing. Please please help

Offline macho

• Bronze Member
i cant understand u. i have gone through the same situation. but believe me, its not like that ur dad dont take it seriously. in my case, i jus wrote a letter to my dad saying" its preventing your son to lead a normal life" staightaway. and he agreed on to have a surgery done on me. you are just 16 now. have u asked doctor abt it? in fact he also cant make any definate statement untill u reach 18 or so. bcoz u it may be pubertal gyne which may go waya on its own.

DrBermant

I've had gynecomastia for about 3 years now. Ironically I discovered I had it when my dad went to get tested for it, he came out negative, but then he described it to me and I became worried about myself. My dad didn't take it seriously and I've known for sure I have it for about 2 and half years now. How do I tell him so he will take me seriously? He also usually comes up with some solution, and I have done research and working out helps nothing. Please please help

Emotion of Living With Gynecomastia:  Many have told me that they had difficulty telling parents, brothers, sisters, family, wives, and friends what it was like having male breasts.  We also have many friends and family asking "How do I help?"  Here is a video tool.

Here is video of a patient discussing the stress and emotions dealing with gynecomastia and the relief after surgery.  Posting words has value, but this discussion by my patient is very intense.  The 13 minutes 14 seconds video with audio (or audio alone clips) are before and after massive gland removal and breast lift (male mastopexy for drooping chest).  I used larger video files because there was such expressiveness in his body language.  For those wanting to use smaller files, there are audio only versions.  QuickTime and Windows Media Video versions are posted.

Here is the link to the videos.  The after surgery images are only 5 days and 11 days after surgery and there was much redundant skin.

Emotions of those with gynecomastia are important.  The expressiveness of listening and viewing is just more powerful than just reading words.  I plan to expand the material once I learn if the format is working well.  This is something my patients have been asking for to help deal with parents, wives, friends who just do not understand.

Beyond that there is this site and the many pages found in my Encyclopedic Resource on Gynecomastia.

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024