Author Topic: Some stuff that is suspected to cause Gynecomastia...  (Read 8949 times)

Offline jackanonymous

• Bronze Member
Hello,
My name is Jack and this is my first post here.
I just thought I should share some of the things that I've read around the internet
So far I've read about the following as suspected causes:

Milk,
Almonds,
Lavender and tree yea oils (found in many dandruff shampoos!)

I might post the sources on these but later 'cuz I'm kinda lazy right now.
I've got this idea that we should make a big list of such "Stuff" so post your replies please! And try to tell us where you read it/heard about it/proof etc.
ps: none of those are 100% sure!

Offline mkit8971

• Bronze Member
Milk sounds kind of silly to me.  Post sources when you get a chance, i'd love to read what they have to say.  Welcome though!

irish lad

i hope its not milk i live on d stuff  :-\

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I'd say he means soy milk...
as for almonds...first i've heard of that one

I have heard that the inside of tin cans has chemicals that mimic estrogen....also chemical compounds called "Phthalates" found in many plastics and moisturizing creams act as androgen disrupters and cause problems with the male reproductive system if a woman is exposed during pregnancy.  Theres no evidence to show that these things directly cause gyne, but I wouldnt want man made synthetic compounds messing with my hormone levels!   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate
Surgery done 18th March 2008

DrBermant

Hello,
My name is Jack and this is my first post here.
I just thought I should share some of the things that I've read around the internet
So far I've read about the following as suspected causes:

Milk,
Almonds,
Lavender and tree yea oils (found in many dandruff shampoos!)

I might post the sources on these but later 'cuz I'm kinda lazy right now.
I've got this idea that we should make a big list of such "Stuff" so post your replies please! And try to tell us where you read it/heard about it/proof etc.
ps: none of those are 100% sure!

There are many causes of Gynecomastia.  In addition, many medications also are known to cause male breast growth and gynecomastiaKlinefelter's Syndrome is another condition associated with male breast growth.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline jackanonymous

• Bronze Member
yes now i remember i've heard of the soy milk thing, but also some say that normal milk can do that too (i read it in some anti-milk campaign website)

about the dandruff shampoo thing, -----> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1313072.ece

And also, I remember I saw a post in a forum saying that "kfc's chicken (the breast wings) cause gynecomastia because people feed the chickens with some chemicals that cause them to have bigger breasts" or something like that, lol silly i know but if you think about it it's actually quite possible!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:40:59 AM by jackanonymous »

Offline gyn10

• Posting Member
Are you serious about soy milk causing gyne?? Great, I'm lactose intolerant and usually drink soy milk or lactose free products. Btw is soy products and lactose free the same?

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Soy has a mild estrogen like activity. If it can induce gyne i'm not sure, but i don't trust it -and avoid it.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Soy has a mild estrogen like activity. If it can induce gyne i'm not sure, but i don't trust it -and avoid it.

I totally agree with this...& try to steer clear of all soy products. Unfortunately its in almost everything these days!

Here is some info on the evils of soy - make up your own minds but i'll continue to steer clear of the stuff
http://www.musclewithattitude.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/the_soy_conspiracy&cr=

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If you read the claims carefully, they are made by people who have an axe to grind in one way or another.

Phyto-estrogens are in many food plants. The amount is so small and comparatively weak that they would have no significant effect on a person with normal hormone function.

Estrogen in milk is another myth.  The fact is that elevated estrogen levels will actually suppress lactation. Giving a Dairy cow estrogen would reduce the amount of milk produced.

With respect to the growth hormones fed to or injected into animals raised for meat; These things are used early on and essentially the drugs have worn off by the time the animals are slaughtered.

Eat a varied and balanced diet then find something else to worry about.
Grandpa Dan

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Gyne has to come from somewhere.  In science there is no effect without cause.  A little bit of estrogen in the water supply, a little bit from chicken breast, a little bit from soy and a bit from other sources...all these pathogens and chemicals build up in your system and thats what causes all these unexplained gyno cases i reckon :o

Offline gyn10

• Posting Member
Gyne has to come from somewhere.  In science there is no effect without cause.  A little bit of estrogen in the water supply, a little bit from chicken breast, a little bit from soy and a bit from other sources...all these pathogens and chemicals build up in your system and thats what causes all these unexplained gyno cases i reckon :o

Well based on you information then one should not eat or drink anything in order to avoid getting gyne. I'm not buying it

irish lad

Offline marmaduke

• Posting Member

Or, an imbalance of hormones that your body manufactures.

We're all drinking the same water and eating the same chicken, yet some of us develop breasts and others do not.  I have one.  Explain that.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If it truly is to be blamed on estrogen in contaminated food and drinking water; How do you account for the fact that the term itself comes to us from ancient Greece?

You'll also need to account for the depiction of Gynecomastia in artifacts from ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. (and other sources)

The most common reason is "reason unknown" followed by a presumption which has a high probability of being wrong.

Except in very rare cases, there is no pathology. The condition is so common that most gynecomastia is statistically "Normal".

If infantile gynecomastia, and OMBs (Old Mans Boobs) are counted; The men who never have any degree of gynecomastia throughout their lives may well be in the minority. Perhaps we should tease them for what they lack.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024