Author Topic: Age and high blood pressure an issue for surgery?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
If I'm 53 and on meds for hypertension, is there any added risk for surgery? Also, if my labs are normal or low-normal, and the cause is either ideopathic, as they say, or a faulty androgen receptor gene or something rare like that, what would the odds -- generally speaking -- of regrowth be?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Age should not be an issue.

Blood bressure could be an issue. It will be less of an issue if the pressure is under control and if you are completely candid with your surgeon from the start.

Of greater concern are medications which alter the ability of the blood to clot and problems with either the liver or kidneys. Even these things can usually be dealt with however.

Your Surgeon should be given a list of all the medications you are taking and the name of your regular Doctor when you go in for your first consultation.
Grandpa Dan

Offline jtd993

• Posting Member
Is the medicine your are taking effective at regulating your blood pressure?  If so, you are ok.  If not, get your bp under control before surgery. 

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
X2 with what Grandpa Dan said.....

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Thanks for the reinforcement GB.

You make some excellent points yourself.

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
How old? I am on 40mg of Micardis and it brought it down to like 128/80.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024