Author Topic: Reduction of gyne after treatment for a prolactinoma?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Lurqy

I'm currently taking Dostinex to lower my prolactin levels caused by a prolactinoma.  My question is: will this actually cause a regression of my gynecomastia or is surgery going to be necessary?  My gyne isnt terrible but I do have some very puffy nipples.  I'm trying to figure out if I should go ahead and start making plans for surgery or if that is too premature at this point.

On my first blood test my PRL levels came back at 79 where 18 was considered the upper limit for males.  My T levels were at 290 ng/dl.

I'm on my 2nd month of treatment and should be new blood test results back soon.  My plan was to wait until my prolactin levels were back in the normal range, before thinking about surgery.  I guess it would be best to wait a solid 6 months before jumping into surgery but I anxious to get rid of the gyne.

Offline MSJ108

wait until prolactin levels are normal

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A lot depends upon how long you have had the Gynecomastia, The glandular tissue will shrink when it is no longer stimulated. Just whether or not it will shrink enough to satisfy you is highly questionable at this time. Be patient for a while and hope for the best while you start saving money for surgery just in case.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Lurqy

As far as I can tell I've had the gyne for a little over a decade.  It was always fairly minor and until recently I had always thought it was fat.  The next year or so should be very interesting for me because the prolactinoma has kept me from aging much.  My doctor's guess is that my hormone levels got out whack in my late teens and thats why I dont look much different than I did when I was 18.  I'm now 30 and most people still assume I'm 17-19.  Supposedly I'll actually be able to grow facial hair etc which will be a first for me and maybe I wont get carded when I go out to vote (this actually happened last week heh).

For now I'll just try to be patient and wait a few months before jumping into surgery.  I'm sure I'll be happier if it goes away on its own and I didnt jump into surgery too soon.

Offline MSJ108

As far as I can tell I've had the gyne for a little over a decade.  It was always fairly minor and until recently I had always thought it was fat.  The next year or so should be very interesting for me because the prolactinoma has kept me from aging much.  My doctor's guess is that my hormone levels got out whack in my late teens and thats why I dont look much different than I did when I was 18.  I'm now 30 and most people still assume I'm 17-19.  Supposedly I'll actually be able to grow facial hair etc which will be a first for me and maybe I wont get carded when I go out to vote (this actually happened last week heh).

For now I'll just try to be patient and wait a few months before jumping into surgery.  I'm sure I'll be happier if it goes away on its own and I didnt jump into surgery too soon.

good luck and keep us posted

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024