Author Topic: Dihydrotestosterone cream?  (Read 16221 times)

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
I have read some info suggesting that using a dihydrotestosterone cream may prevent and/or treat gynecomastia.  I am taking a medication that is causing the beginnings of gynecomastia (pain and small lump in the nipple) but need to take this medication for an illness.

Any experiences with dihydrotestosterone cream for treating/stopping gynecomastia?

I can deal with a little breast growth, but I am more concerned about the pain and the possibility of severe growth etc.

- Thanks

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
never heard of it. its a cream you say? do you just rub it on your boobays?
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
DHT, or Dihydrotestosterone is a steroid hormone.

It's in the class of pure androgens. An androgen is a substance that causes "secondary male characteristics", ie increased body & facial hair, deepening of the voice and plays a key role in a man's sex drive.

By adding DHT to your body, the aromatisation of testosterone to oestrogen is inhibited, reducing the ammount of circulating oestrogen.

Everyone produces their own ammounts of DHT, in the same way oestrogen is made by an enzymatic breakdown of testosterone. The enzyme responsible, if I remember correctly is 5-alpha-reductase.

DHT suplementation could help reverse early gyno signs if theyre caused by a skewed oestrogen to androgen ratio, but it can have some unpleasent effects.  DHT suplementation can cause your prostate to enlarge which my cause pain, difficulty in and/or more frequent urination. It can also hasten the onset of male pattern baldness ie it can make your hair fall out.

One good thing about DHT is that it has minimal effect on the HPTA, ie it doesn't really effect your natural testosterone production (it does a little but not much).

Consult your doctor before attempting to add DHT to your body, it may be right for you it may not. It might be completely effective at preventing glandular growth caused by medications.

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
can you just buy it or do you need a perscription?

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
Oh yer???!?? Well I've got...... cake!  :P

I'm sure you'd need a prescription for DHT cream, and tbh even if you didn't you'd be a fool to use it without medical supervision.

Personally I think there are better ways to deal with gyne in its early stages than DHT , but no doctor's gonna give you Tamoxifen or Letrosole. And I would take neither anyway, I know the side effects. I'd much rather do what I;m doing now. Make sure my hormones are stable then get it cut out by a skilled professional.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If you suspect that you have a hormonal problem; See a Doctor and get properly diagnosed and treated.

Using any type of medication which can alter your hormone levels, even topically, Could also make things worse.

It would take a blood test and proper medical evaluation to determine if such treatment is indicated.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
Hi there, thanks for the info.  I do not know if you read my whole post but I am taking a medication for an illness that is causing gynecoastia and I am looking for ways to help manage the problem while I am on the medication.  I do know what the problem is...it's the medication causing it, but I need to take it for a serious illness for the next 6-12 months.

I see my doctor tomorrow so will ask him his opinion on things but I was just looking for other experiences or info in the time being.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:45:50 PM by Doomed »

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
I did read your post, and I understand it's the medication youre on that you suspect is the cause of your lumps.

DHT is a hormone, and the way it can help with gynecomastia is by lowering oestrogen, another hormone. If the lumps aren't caused by exess oestrogen or an imbalance of androgens versus oestrogen, DHT will likely do nothing. I'm not too clued up on the reasons why medication can cause gyne, I'm guessing they could in some way have an effect on hormone receptors in the breast, ie your hormone levels are normal but your body is more sensative to hormonal effects while taking the drug.

The most likely thing that will help is to stop taking the medication. You don't say what the medication is, so I don't know if there is an alternative that can be used to treat you instead.

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
Hi there, thanks for the response.  It is actually a nerve pain medication, Gabapentin.  So I am told that there are not really any alternatives that work in the same way except one but it is the same class and will likely have the same effect (so I am told).

It is a possible side effect but listed as less then 2% (guess I got lucky...heheh).  My doctor said it is likely due to a raised prolactin level but last time we did blood work they were not out of range.

I am thinking what you said about the receptors in the breast just being ultra sensitive - maybe because I already had gyno before from a med so they have remained sensitive.  I did the srugery route and everything 8 years ago.

I am wondering how bad it would get and would it just keep growing and growing and being painful or does it reach a standpoint where it stops being painful and stops growing.  Also wondering that since I had it removed and they did take out glandular growth, would that mean it will not be as bad this time around...

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I checked four different places that I frequently go to check for side effects. The first three showed nothing about Gynecomastia as a side effect for Gabapentin. The fourth site listed Gynecomastia as rare= less than 1 case per 1000 users of the Drug.

If the Gynecomastia is of recent onset, there is a possibility of regression if the cause is found and treated right away.

This may take a bit of detective work for both you and you Doctor.

Knowing that you are under a Dr.s care is all the more reason to repeat: Take no Medications, even vitamins  or herbals without consulting the Dr. first. Your experimentation could upset your treatment.

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
Thanks Paa_Paw

Perhaps I should mention that the other drug I am also taking is Remeron for anxiety but the pain started before I was on the Remeron so that is why the doctor is attributing it to the Gabapentin.

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
Hey Paa_Paw, you seem like a pretty knowledgeable guy, I am wondering if you know or think it is possible that gynecomstia from such a medication such as Gabapentin could flare up and then subside after a month or two?  I am wondering if it could possibly just be like some other sides, where it flares up for a month or two until your body gets used to the drug then it will subside.  Any ideas or experience when you have done some of your research?  I have only been on the Gabapentin for 3 weeks and then the REmeron for 1 week for the anxiety and insomnia I was getting from the worry of it all.

I am thinking it may be possible because it not like I am taking Testosterone or an anti-androgen or something of that nature that would likely cause serious gynecomatia.

Thanks again.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I don't know how knowledgeable I am, But I've been around a while and learned a few things.

One thing I've learned is when to say I really do not Know. This is one such time.

Now that we have established that I'm talking off the top of my hat, I might try to reason out something.
Reasoning is sometimes what we use instead of knowledge. To maintain my honesty and self respect, I'll have to admit that. If I speak with a lot of qualifiers, I'm reasoning.

In reading the information that comes with my prescriptions, I sometimes find that some sort of reaction might be anticipated which will go away as my body adapts to the new medication. This period of adaptation should usually take only a few days. If it lasts more than a few days, I should call my Dr. or Pharmacy.

It might be reasonable to assume that there is some sort of medication which might cause the nipples to swell and be tender and then subside while use of the drug continues. But, I sure don't know of any. If the swelling and tenderness did not subside in a few days, shouldn't I have contacted my Doctor? I do know that if the swelling persists for some time it is less likely to regress.

If my breasts were changing, should I wait a year before I contact the Doctor in the hope that it would settle down? I don't think so.

If a medication causes the breasts to enlarge and the medication is withdrawn in a couple of weeks I would expect the breasts to regress. If the offending medication was used for a period of several months the chance of regression diminishes.

Sometimes we need to accept an unwanted side effect in exchange for a greater benefit. I need to take Plavix to prevent blood clots, so I bruise easily and minor scratches bleed excessively. Beta Blocckers cause side effects that men find troubling, I need them too for heart problems and high blood pressure. Medications for Benign Prostate hyperplasia cause concerns of their own, But I use them too. Sometimes there are alternative medications with less side effects and sometimes there are not.

It should come as no surprise that the incidence of Gynecomastia is around 70% for men past their sixties. That number puts us in the majority. Are men past their sixties without Gynecomastia abnormal? As with many things, it is important to maintain a proper perspective. I am 71 years old.   

I would add that, in spite of my concerns, I have suffered no ill effects from any of the medications except the bruising. Also, I am unable to use Statin  drugs because they have caused weakness and muscle cramps. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:23:53 PM by Paa_Paw »

Offline Doomed

• Posting Member
Well thanks again for the insight and words Paw_Paa.  It does help to put things into perspective for me.  Perhaps this is just a side effect that I deal with and learn to live with while I am on my medication and then once I am off (which is a possibility in 6-12 months) as I am told this condition with the nerve pain can go into remission, I can deal with correcting the problem if it needs correcting.

I guess I am more fearful of the unknown...if my nipples are tender now after a few weeks on the medication, will they grow to B cups in 6-12 months, or will I just end up with tender nipples with a small lump behind them for 12 months.  Will the pain get substantially worse as time passes, or will it diminish after some time and not be too bothersome. 

Perhaps the best thing to do is to just go with things, live with pain and discomfort and remind myself that it will not be forever and that if it were not for the medication, I would be dealing with debilitating facial nerve pain, flushing, chronic anxiety, stress, insomnia, etc. etc.

I am just hopeful that there is something I can take to help with the pain, even if it were to reduce the pain and potential growth, such as a cream or medication etc.  I will make sure though, that it is through my GP - I would not take anything without his approval.

What you said makes sense, that sometimes we must take a side effect or two to deal with a larger health problem and sometimes you need to step back and look at the big picture, or what would give you a better quality of life, in my case, I would likely opt for the nipple pain over the slew of other problems that come with my illness/condition. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Growing to a B cup would be a one in a million (or less) event and may get your story written up in a Medical Journal.

Seriously, It sounds like you have enough to worry about. The  breast issue is something you can put off for a time. Deal with the immediate problems first. If Gynecomastia results, you can deal with that quite simply at a later date. Meanwhile, perhaps there is at least some comfort in knowing that you are not alone.

Stay in touch,

Good Luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024