Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 3711 times)

Offline _FLAK_

IDK if this is in the right section but i think it is.

I have pretty severe gyne and i remember when i was younger like 12 i confronted my father about my pecs hurting and it feeling like there was a lump under them and i would show him and he mentioned that i might have gyne. Sure enough here i am 17 years old and it still is the same as ever. I confronted my mom about it about a year ago and she shrugged me off and told me it was probably just baby fat and left me thinking "WTF BABY FAT?!...IM 16 YO!!!" to myself. She told me plastic surgery like what would be required to get rid of it was too expensive for us so to me that was a slap in the face and i forever lost hope in ever looking normal.

This really hurts me emotionally because i always wear and undershirt and tuck it in very tightly sort of like a pressure vest would do and i always avoid pools, lakes, and ocean trips and basically all places where i might have to take my shirt off which is again completely against who i want to be and what i want to do.

The real kicker is that im an athlete in a sport where you have to be strong and "jacked looking" for people to take you seriously and that isnt me because of the gyne. Im not fat by any means either.

What can i do?...Im at the point where im thinking about self surgery its so bad...every day im affected by them and im so sick of living life like this. I want to be a normal active teen especially since im going off to college in a year.

My mother says we cant afford the surgery so is there any way we can get insurance to cover it at all ?...

Also my family has a history of breast cancer and what scares me the most is that i heard men with gynecomastia are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer...

please can anyone offer me some advice
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:05:22 PM by _FLAK_ »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
What country do you live?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
Get a job.

Seriously, if you want to someday get this fixed don't rely on anyone but yourself to get it done.  The decision has to be yours and since your folks don't have the cake take it upon yourself to earn the money.

Make it a goal for yourself.  I realize it sucks in HS and College to have this, I lived it too.  But believe me you are very young and even if it takes a couple of years to cover the nut, save the money and get it done.  Channel that frustration it money making energy.

Offline _FLAK_

GB

Im in the US but why does that matter?

Offline pirlofan15

• Posting Member
I'm not very informed, but I'm sure that prices could differ and also insurance policies.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

GB

Im in the US but why does that matter?

If you were in Canada, you could get most of the cost covered by Provincial Health Insurance.

Noseguard is right dude...  save your coin. Set up a bank account and stash all your extra cash. One day you'll have enough for surgery.

GB

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
what they said.  if you worked all summer and a semester at a decent job and shopped around i bet you could afford an op, you're getting to the point where you're going to be assuming responsibility for yourself.  also don't worry about the cancer, the odds of it even with gyne are still way slim overall. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:12:18 AM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
if you worked all summer and a semester at a decent job and shopped around i bet you could afford an op,

That makes perfect sense.  If I were a teenager I would totally give up a summer for this.  Everyone's personality is different, but if I knew about G surgery at 18yrs old I would have totally sacrificed a summer to getting it fixed. I would have gotten two or three jobs and totally challenged myself to saving for the surgery.  What makes the most sense is that summers with G (for me anyway) were so frustrating and sad, I would have gladly skipped those awkward summer pool and beach events to work toward a solution.

The idea of having a fix in a year would have motivated me to bang it out and work my a## off.  Wish I could rewind and do that.  I am 40 now and just had surgery.  No regets, life has been excellent even with G, just wish I would have knocked it out in my teens or twenties.

Go for it guys, you have the ability to solve this on your own.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

you're getting to the point where you're going to be assuming responsibility for yourself.

x2...

Quote from: headheldhigh01 link=topic=15226.msg106454#msg106454
Also don't worry about the cancer, the odds of it even with gyne are still [u
way slim[/u] overall. 

x2...

My mother says we cant afford the surgery so is there any way we can get insurance to cover it at all ?...

Sorry to say dude, but most IC's consider G as a 'cosmetic' issue and therefore refuse to contribute to the cost of surgery. There is one IC that someone here mentioned covered the procedrue... but I can't think of the name now...  Doesn't really matter anyways, I highly doubt that you could buy a policy and then all of a sudden say "Ok guys, I've got Gynecomastia.... I want you to pay for my operation now..." IC's are not that naive my man. I'm sure there would be some 'fine print' saying that you couldn't try to pull this...

GB

Offline _FLAK_

if you worked all summer and a semester at a decent job and shopped around i bet you could afford an op,

That makes perfect sense.  If I were a teenager I would totally give up a summer for this.  Everyone's personality is different, but if I knew about G surgery at 18yrs old I would have totally sacrificed a summer to getting it fixed. I would have gotten two or three jobs and totally challenged myself to saving for the surgery.  What makes the most sense is that summers with G (for me anyway) were so frustrating and sad, I would have gladly skipped those awkward summer pool and beach events to work toward a solution.

The idea of having a fix in a year would have motivated me to bang it out and work my a## off.  Wish I could rewind and do that.  I am 40 now and just had surgery.  No regets, life has been excellent even with G, just wish I would have knocked it out in my teens or twenties.

I would really love do this but with school starting again and practice everyday after school for the whole year till 6:30-7:00 at night its really hard to get a job...even a weekend job would be hard because i have games on almost every weekend.Im sort of in a bind and i think i will have to wait till college to start saving unfortunately...Im just pissed that im missing out on stuff teens should be doing...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Agreed 100%...  However, surgical techniques 20+ years ago were not as refined as today... So all you younger guys are lucky that you can have GRS with refined surgical techniques and at a relatively young age...

I had surgery at 41, 44 now. I survived 31 years with 'D' cup behemoths... Approx 20 years of the 31, I was working. Day in and day out, trying the best I could to hide the m(o)(o)bs. Most days I wore a '2 sizes too small' t-shirt to 'flatten out' my mounds and a pocketed button-up shirt on top. All I'm trying to say here is, other guys such as Noseguard, Paa_Paw, myself... have survived. Paa_Paw still has G...

So as Noseguard mentioned...  "You have the ability to solve this on your own".

Get a job... save the coin... have them removed...   You can do it!

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I would really love do this but with school starting again and practice everyday after school for the whole year till 6:30-7:00 at night its really hard to get a job...even a weekend job would be hard because i have games on almost every weekend.Im sort of in a bind and i think i will have to wait till college to start saving unfortunately...Im just pissed that im missing out on stuff teens should be doing...

Yeah, it can be very tough being a teen with G! Money, usually, is the big hurdle. Some guys, such as yourself, have unsympathetic parents who refuse to help out financially with the cost of surgery. Also, the sufferer is either too young to work or is too busy with school/sports etc... such as yourself. A very tough situation to say the least. My heart goes out to you dude!!!

Just hang in there my man... one day you will have the coin for surgery. I realize this does not help you in the immediate future, but what else are you gonna do? Sure, we all have been delt a shitty hand, but hey, we have to deal with it ya know. Be strong and one day you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. You will get there!

GB

Offline _FLAK_

Thanks for the support guys...Im already planning when i will get money and how i will get it done (hopefully 3-4th year in college if plan goes correctly)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Exactly!  Set a goal and work towards it...  ;)

GB

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
FLAK,

You are the only one who really knows how much this bothers you.

You are now well aware of what it will take to get rid of it.

There are many things competing for your attention at this time in your life, but you are the only one who can set the priorities. If Gynecomastia truly bothers you, you will find the time to earn the money for surgery. School is essential, bit it leaves a lot of time free for other activities. How much of that time is spent profitably and how your money is handled when it does come in, are all indicators of how serious you are about dealing with this.

In the final analysis, it is all up to you.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024