Author Topic: First post.  (Read 2285 times)

Offline thefever

I first started noticing I had signs of Gynecomastia at a young age.  Going into about 7th grade, I really noticed it.  People walking by, grabbing your breasts in the locker room at football practice, being the last guy in the shower.  It progressively got worse from an emotional stand point as I got older.  I started noticing it more, and wore almost all dark colors, jackets, or loose button ups to try and conceal it.  Even during the summer, my wardrobe never changed.  As I'm entering my first year of nursing school, I want to be able to be taken seriously.  It's hard for me to build up enough confidence to be wearing revealing colors in my scrubs, which are the school's color, red.  My senior year of high school, I was at a maximum weight of 244 pounds.  I started exercising and eating better around this age, and also got a job where alot of physical labor is involved.  I'm now down to 195.  However, my "man boobs" have not changed a bit.  I've lost a full 4 sizes in my pants, and gone from an XL to a medium shirt.  I want to get the surgery, but also want to make sure I meet the right criteria.  Money, for the time being, is not an issue.  I have enough to cover half the surgery, and can finance the rest.  I'm in the Houston region.  Any good surgeon recommendations?  What do you think of my condition? 

You can't quite see the puffiness, it was kinda cold.  lol. 

My weight at night, after eating. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Scrubs are loose by nature so they should provide good coverage, especially if a compression garment is worn under them. These can be found in most sporting goods stores.

There is a section here on garments that may assist you as well.

One advantage of the career path you've chosen is going to be the knowledge and understanding of your classmates.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

DrBermant

I first started noticing I had signs of Gynecomastia at a young age.  Going into about 7th grade, I really noticed it.  People walking by, grabbing your breasts in the locker room at football practice, being the last guy in the shower.  It progressively got worse from an emotional stand point as I got older.  I started noticing it more, and wore almost all dark colors, jackets, or loose button ups to try and conceal it.  Even during the summer, my wardrobe never changed.  As I'm entering my first year of nursing school, I want to be able to be taken seriously.  It's hard for me to build up enough confidence to be wearing revealing colors in my scrubs, which are the school's color, red.  My senior year of high school, I was at a maximum weight of 244 pounds.  I started exercising and eating better around this age, and also got a job where alot of physical labor is involved.  I'm now down to 195.  However, my "man boobs" have not changed a bit.  I've lost a full 4 sizes in my pants, and gone from an XL to a medium shirt.  I want to get the surgery, but also want to make sure I meet the right criteria.  Money, for the time being, is not an issue.  I have enough to cover half the surgery, and can finance the rest.  I'm in the Houston region.  Any good surgeon recommendations?  What do you think of my condition? 

You can't quite see the puffiness, it was kinda cold.  lol. 

My weight at night, after eating. 

Congratulations on that weight loss.  Doesn't it feel great getting that extra weight off!

Men tend to collect fat in the chest and abdomen.  When a major problem of contour is caused by this extra fat, Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery is almost always a better option.  As a Surgical Sculptor I prefer to use losing weight as the coarse tool and then plastic surgery for refinement. 

Some patients do not plan to lose weight.  Plastic Surgery without weight loss can offer some contour improvement in Compromise Gynecomastia Contouring for Overweight Men. However, overweight men still look overweight. 

When weight loss results in loose sagging chest skin, Male Mastopexy Chest Lift may be needed.

To see if sagging tissues are an issue I have evolved Standard Pictures for Evaluating Gynecomastia And Sagging after Weight Loss for Male Mastopexy.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
So weight loss would most definitely be a choice before the surgery.  Shred as much fat as a I can, right? 

Yes, if overweight, loosing the excess could benefit the surgery/surgeon. However, keep in mind that it is not a prerequisite with all surgeons...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024