Author Topic: alchohol and gynecomastia  (Read 4627 times)

Offline SRK

• Bronze Member
  • will BARE
i wana know whether alchohol causes gynecomastia...i have got my liver function test done.......i do not suffer frm cirhosis of liver..i drink once in a week and i have seen tht since the time i have started drinking my breasts have developed even more,even though my tests have revealed tht i dunno suffer frm cirhosis of liver but my bilirubin level is high. Can anyone help me out.
a man walkin with gyno is a man walkin with a heart of steel

Offline nope1

• Gold Member
from what I know, it can contribute, but it's rare.  I think you'd have to have a hormone imbalance already for it to contribute, but I really don't know

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Something does not set well.

The liver function is OK, But your bilirubin is high?

Why is the bilirubin High?

Did you leave somethin out?  

Or are you not yet done testing?

Your post opens more questions than it supplies answers.
Grandpa Dan

Offline hypo

All Alcohol consumption lowers testosterone levels in the short term, upto 48 hours after drinking and increases estrogens during the same period for all people.

In conjunction with low borderline testosterone levels, elevated estrogen levels or clear hypogonadism this "may" be a causative factor in the development of gynecomastia, with "may" being the operative word. Because even in the case of hypogonadism, it is more likely to develop gynecomastia directly as a result of hypogonadism than because of this additional factor.

Long term or heavy alcohol consumption is a known cause of testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism) in its own right- but that is a separate issue.

Interestingly alterations in liver function involve the important P450 system- a primary processing system that eliminates chemicals, hormones, drugs, and metabolic waste products from the body.  A wide variety of factors including alcohol intake can impair this system, particularly as people age.  In many individuals, this results in a gradual build up of estrogen.  In fact the P450 system may be the most important factor in metabolic hypogonadism and it is doubtful that such changes would be picked up on via basic liver function tests.

To give you an idea of the limitations of Liver function tests, I look ok on a liver function test and I had two thirds of mine removed.

Having said everything that I have;

I have a feeling that in your case all of the above is probably irrelevant and you probably don't have a liver issue, with probably this time being the operative word.

The reasons for which are - a) you are young and B) you have not mentioned serious ill health and C you drink little.

What has made you concentrate on this area?

Have you had your hormones investigated via pathology?

Is the gynecomastia definitely not of pubertal origin?

If you have had your hormones investigated and nothing appeared to be a problem and you are still convinced of this liver connection, I will recommend some measures that you can show your doctor and follow if they approve to help improve your P450 system.

I believe we have spoke via pm, I apologise if I am asking information which you have already given (my memory isn't what it was and I send many messages to help people and I cannot refer to my outbox as it doesn't work.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 06:08:12 AM by hypo »

Offline SRK

• Bronze Member
  • will BARE
hi hypo.........u seem tohav a loat of knowledge....and ilike ur sincerity n spirit....thnx a lot for urcooperation...c  i will tell u my story....till this yrs new yr eve i used to drink a lot.........and i thnk my gyne was gradually growin n in the new yrs eve party i drank a lot(arnd 10 or 12 drinks) and the nextday when i was takin a bath i noticed tht the shape of my breast has changed....i found out tht it was protrudin outwards even more.........tht really screwed me up...........maybe my observation was wrng  but i decided tht i will hardly drink again and its been 25 days since the new yr eve's party and i had only one bottle of beer in between and i feel tht my gyno has reduced a lil bit ni  feeel a lil bit more comfy.......i also did the lft again and this time the results were very good and the bilirubin level came down frm 1.8 to 1.15  and all the other parameters were very normal.........i hav also read in a health magazine tht high intake of alcohol increases ur bilirubin level...........now i hav decided until iget my gyno removed i will drink very  seldomly .......i havnt got my hormone level tested.........will be gettin em tested pretty fast....anyways thts it......keep rock'n

Offline hypo

rahulkumar,

I VERY much doubt that this alcohol intake has had ANYTHING to do with the development of your gynecomastia, although I can understand why you made the association/connection given the timing.

It is far more likely if you are between 12-18 for this to be a change in your hormones levels, something that would have occurred whether you had anything to drink or not.

For most people this hormonal change settles down and the gynecomastia is resolved- in time.

For some people this hormonal change does not settle down fast enough and they are left with gynecomastia but NO hormone problem.  A significant minority of young men with gynecomastia will have testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism) which if left undiagnosed and untreated will cause health problems.

Offline SRK

• Bronze Member
  • will BARE
hi hypo,
i am 23 and i feel as if my gyno is growin  but when i measure it with a tape it gives the same result of 41 inches but i feel as if its growin........dunno understand the paradox...........i have got stretch marks under my arms, inner thighs  and upper thigh near abdomen........i have read tht hormol imbalance causes these marks........can imbalance between testosterone and estrogen cause it........i had lost arnd 14 kilos also last yr by dietin a lot and doin weights and now i hav left weights due to a mprob in the lower back......one more thin........as long as i was regularly exercisin i use to feel good.........never was worried abt my gyno  though it was there.......but last yr due to back prob as i left gymming i started gettin worried and the conciousness also increased and i feel tht since then my gyno has grown........i had also increased my alcohol content lasst yr.........used to drin once in a week........not i drink once in a mnth........so wht can be the prob......dunno get it.......do u hav any idea.......i had this pron since the age of 12 or 13........i dunno take any drugs though i hav asthma and i take asthalin and flohale(mild steroid)......bp is 140/80......no liver problem......i have a heavy voice  and good amt of hair on my body.......is there any other symptom tht indicates testosterone defficiency..........i had also done an ultrasonography of  my testes and they r perfect and normal........u hav a clue.......waitin for ur reply.

Offline hypo

Posting your pictures to the site can help people see what you are dealing with.  If you have not done that then you should do so.  

If you have already done this then I apologise for not spotting them and ask, could you include the link in this thread?

In the meantime I am going to send you a private message.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024