Author Topic: Quit smoking - Would Nicorette effect the surgery  (Read 3305 times)

Offline mizuno

• Gold Member
Currently, taking nicroette (2 pieces a day) to curb my urge.
Would taking the nicroette gum effect pre-op ?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Yes, with regard to surgery and your body's ability to heal well, Nicorette gum has the same adverse effect as smoking.  Both deliver nicotine to your bloodstream and therefore to your tissue, so you should refrain from use of ANY product containing nicotine (including nicotine patches) prior to sugery.  The patch and gum are great aids if you're trying to quit smoking, as they spare your lungs the damage, but you're still getting nicotine in the bloodstream.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline PSC0002

• Bronze Member
darn.  I was hoping it was a oxygen thing instead of a nicotine thing.  I use smokeless tobacco, and have tried to stop unsuccessfully several times before.  I guess I'll have to come to terms with actually going through with kicking the habit to get my gyne gone...

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
It's good just to kick the habit anyway.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
darn.  I was hoping it was a oxygen thing instead of a nicotine thing.  I use smokeless tobacco, and have tried to stop unsuccessfully several times before.  I guess I'll have to come to terms with actually going through with kicking the habit to get my gyne gone...

to quit, you've got to really truely want to quit... perhaps wanting to quit so that you can get the gyne surgery will be sufficient motivation to kick the habit once and for all

and yes, the reason for suggesting you quit smoking prior to surgery is that nicotine is a vasoconstrictor (whether it comes from a smoke, a patch, a piece of gum or a lozenge matters not).  to give yourself the best chances of healing without complications you'll want to have as much blood flow & oxygen getting to those damaged tissues as possible and any vasoconstrictors would inhibit this process to some degree.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:04:05 AM by moobius »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024