Author Topic: Could BPA cause gynecomastia?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline maineguy79

• Posting Member
BPA (bisphenol-A) -- a compound found in some types of plastics, as well as some metal cans and containers -- has been said to be responsible for a number of health issues. I've also heard that it can mimic the effects of estrogen. Is it possible, therefore, that BPA could be linked to gynecomastia? When I was growing up, we were very poor and ate a lot of canned food, because it was all we could afford. Apparently the lining of these cans is a big source of BPA. A recent report from Consumer Reports found high levels of BPA in every canned food product they tested. Needless to say, I'm now wondering if all those years of being forced to eat mushy canned food has contributed to my gynecomastia (and perhaps certain other problems as well).

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You have no doubt been watching TV  when they ran a commercial for one of the following: A company that makes water filters. A company that makes water bottles out of something other than plastic. A company that is trying to sell you a product which will eliminate your need to buy bottled water.

When there is money to be made, exaggerating seems to be perfectly OK.

Yes, there are environmental pollutants that are similar to Estrogens. There are also natural chemicals in our vegetables that are called phyto-estrogens, They are not a problem if you eat a varied and well balanced diet.

The chemicals mentioned are very weak compared to actual estrogen and the available concentrations are very low. There are some people who have suggested that these chemicals may actually tie up estrogen receptors. If that is true, then these chemicals may actually be helpful in preventing Gynecomastia.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:24:53 AM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline maineguy79

• Posting Member
Actually I hadn't seen those commercials, but the thing from Consumer Reports has gotten a lot of attention in the TV news and the newspapers lately, mainly because many members of the public assumed (perhaps rightfully so) that BPA was only an issue with the infamous Nalgene water bottles, and had no idea that high concentrations of it were also found in metal food cans.

As an independent agency that does nothing except review products and does not put ads in their reports, I don't think CR really has anything to gain from exaggerating about something like this. I do agree that there are probably other companies who are somewhat less-than-ethical in these matters.

Anyway, I guess I was just looking for someone/something to blame for my problem... which is human nature, I suppose...  :-\

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The issues of chemicals and phyto-estrogens comes up here with some regularity.  The truth is that some plastics are a problem and they should be avoided.

Don't use plastics as containers for food or water unless they were intended for that purpose.

Likewise, you shouldn't use containers in a microwave that are not labeled as microwave-safe.

This is hardly rocket science------

It is natural enough for us to wish we could put the blame somewhere for our condition. The truth is that our condition just naturally occurs in a percentage of us and the cause is most often not known.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024