Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
So here is the low-down.  Around this time last year, I was saving for a house and I had enough to pay for Gynecomastia surgery in cash out right.  However, I needed a place to live, and I had a race coming up (half marathon), which was important to me.  So I decided that it was a much better choice - at that time - to not have the surgery.

Now it is a year later, I am moved into my first house, and my race went great.  I will be getting my federal taxes back within the next four months, and with the $8k homebuyer's credit, I once again have enough money to pay for my surgery out right.

And I've been talking myself into and out of it for a while.  That $8K would look real nice in my savings account.  But what would I be saving for if not surgery?  I lift weights and run daily.  I am making big progress in the gym, and am training for a full marathon come October.  So if I had surgery, I would lose two to three months of training.  My work would be gone.

What would you do?
What should I do??
How soon can I return to lifting weights and running after surgery?  I assume I'll be able to run before I can bench press.  And maybe if I keep my diet in check, and eat lots of protein, my muscles will not disappear.
Facing what consumes you is the only way to be free!

Offline vassalofodin

Everyone's situation and image of themselves is different, but if I had enough money to pay for my surgery out right--I'd do it.

I'm sort of in the opposite situation of knowing that I want to do it, but not having the money out right.

If you have the money and it won't affect you long term, in terms of like financial situation, then I'd go for it. Something might come up later and then you'll put it off again.

I'm not sure how long post OP you have to wait before training. I have heard different things such as several weeks to several months. I'd talk to your doctor about it, and also probably play it by ear after you've had the surgery itself.

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
Well I just gave Post Surgery Workout Instructions a read and it spells everything out very clearly - I'll more-or-less be able to return to my normal routine after 4 weeks, and even after the first week, I can being working on my lower body.  Good stuff!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It's really all about priorities.  If your gynecomastia is really bothering you that much, it will be worth it to you to put your running on hold long enough to recover from the surgery.
And you'll be able to get back into shape pretty quickly after the surgery.

Congrats on the $8000 tax credit for the home purchase.  And for any of you other young U.S. guys out there thinking about buying a house, that $8000 savings is only around through the end of April.  You don't have to close by then, but you must have a signed contract for purchase by then.  My son is trying to make that deadline. (And he's a marathon runner too). This has nothing to do with gyne, but if it helps someone...

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline fiXXXer

• Bronze Member
You're right - it does bother me that much, and I have my whole life to keep running!  I think I know what to do.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
As you know all too well, there are several options. Which one is right for you is something that only you can decide.

Do not allow anyone else to influence you pro or con. You must make this decision for yourself.
Grandpa Dan

Offline kaka

• Posting Member
I recently purchase a house in DEC,09 and i have to push my surgery forward. i just got the surgery done 16 days ago and happy so far! .. I used $4500 out of the $8000 First time home credit  so I'm still left with some change. I was a bit hesitant on spending it on the surgery but i got over that quick because my gyno bother me a lot...... Opportunity like this.. (8000 home  tax credit) only comes ones so use the money wisely. In my case i think i did!!

take care.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024