Author Topic: 18 years old- any chance my gyno will go away?  (Read 41806 times)

Offline Teenaged

• Posting Member
I'm 18 now and I've had gyno since around 8th grade.  I am very fit.  Both of my breasts have a hard lump underneath that causes my nipples to protrude outward.  It really bothers me if I have my shirt off in public.

Is their any chance my gyno will go away on its on without surgery?  I hit puberty a little bit later than average but I've had gyno for at least 4 years now.  The lump under each nipple is hard.  I'm pretty sure it's a solid glandular tissue.

Is it possible that the glandular tissue could break up on its own, or once it turns solid is surgery the only way to have it fixed?

Is the only type of gyno that goes away on its own, the kind that doesn't involve a hard lump under the nipple?

Thanks for any info- I'm new to this forum.

DrBermant

I'm 18 now and I've had gyno since around 8th grade.  I am very fit.  Both of my breasts have a hard lump underneath that causes my nipples to protrude outward.  It really bothers me if I have my shirt off in public.

Is their any chance my gyno will go away on its on without surgery?  I hit puberty a little bit later than average but I've had gyno for at least 4 years now.  The lump under each nipple is hard.  I'm pretty sure it's a solid glandular tissue.

Is it possible that the glandular tissue could break up on its own, or once it turns solid is surgery the only way to have it fixed?

Is the only type of gyno that goes away on its own, the kind that doesn't involve a hard lump under the nipple?

Thanks for any info- I'm new to this forum.

How old before Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question. Although gynecomastia frequently goes away on its own, what has not resolved by 2 years usually does not.  Waiting many years for nothing to happen makes little sense when an individual is stressed by the Emotion of Living with Gynecomastia.  You can see many examples here: Photos Before and After Surgery of Teenagers with Gynecomastia Gallery.

If body fat is a contributing factor, weight loss before surgery is typically better than after.  Weight Loss can Help with the Fat Component of Gynecomastia, it will not help with the gland and can leave loose drooping skin.  Have you checked your Body Mass Index Calculation BMI Calculator?  That in conjunction with a Body Fat Calculator can give a handle on the body fat issue.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As a general rule, if your gyne has not shown any sign of diminishing on its own within 18-24 months or so, then it is probable that it will remain as such for the foreseeable future.  If there is any chance at all of treating it with medication, it is with estrogen blockers taken if the gyne is recognized very early and while the gyne is still evolving and growing.  Unfortunately, most cases are identified after the growth has taken place.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Teenaged

• Posting Member
Body fat is definitely not a contributing factor. I'm in very good shape and have a very low body fat.  My gyno isn't super bad but it is enough to cause me to be self conscious about it. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The original question was if there was any chance that Gyne would go away.

If the question is taken literally, Yes.

But if your condition has been stable for any length of time the odds are somewhat similar to the odds that you will win millions in the lottery.

No one with a brain larger than a walnut would put too much faith in those kinds of odds.

Hope is a really good thing, but sometimes we must face reality.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
As a general rule, if your gyne has not shown any sign of diminishing on its own within 18-24 months or so, then it is probable that it will remain as such for the foreseeable future.  If there is any chance at all of treating it with medication, it is with estrogen blockers taken if the gyne is recognized very early and while the gyne is still evolving and growing.  Unfortunately, most cases are identified after the growth has taken place.

Dr Jacobs

There are two reasons for this...  one, is that many GP's tell the patient "Don't worry son, it will go away in a few months... It's only temporary". The young G victim then waits (in silence) for his G to dissipate... after months/years, the Gynecomastia does not resolve itself... By that time it is too late for non surgical intervention...

The second reason is that for many sufferers (such as myself), having G is such an embarrassing condition, they does not want to talk to anyone about the CURSE... Again, waiting for months and years, in hopes that the condition will go away, it becomes too late for a non surgical intervention...

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Teenaged

• Posting Member

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
What more info do you want? This is enough already lol. Your question has been answered both by doctors and experienced sufferers. You said 4 years so I don't think it will resolve by itself now. You should meet an endo or a PS unless of course you wanna wait more which I don't think is a good option.

Ps - My own experience.
I had gyno since the age of 12 and I got it checked right THEN but the doctors told me it was a temporary thing and should go away in 1 or 2 years. I'm 21 now and it didn't . I'm getting surgery done on 23rd:)

Cheers!
Sid

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
If you've had gynecomastia for 4 years, it is unlikely it will disspear on its own.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:22:49 PM by Dr. Cruise »
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024