Author Topic: Where was your incision?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
I recently had a bilateral mastectomy, where part of the glands were cut out.

I expected that the surgeon would cut a perfect half circle under the nipple to reduce any noticeability of scarring, but he told me he was going to cut a horizontal line next to the center of the nipple.

I haven't seen the result yet, because I'm still bandaged up.  

I don't want to have scars, but heck it's better that big puffy nipples.

Where were you cut?  and do you have scarring?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 07:06:56 AM by puffynips0- »

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
Mine went in through incisions in my armpits.  If there are noticeable scars, they're covered up by my pit hair and I don't see them.

Btw, I had both excision and lipo.  He was able to get the gland out through my armpits as well.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 07:25:22 AM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
That sounds like a great place to get the incision.  I'm worried about scarring.  I won't be able to take a first look at the results until Friday.

But the cut he made extended horizontally outside of the nipple area, so I'm afraid of the results.

He said it was a very thin incision, so I hope it will be barely noticeable.

Anyhow, it beats puffy nipples.

Anybody else have a horizontal cut outside the nipple area?  If so, how well did you heal?

Offline nukem2k5

If you're worried about scarring, you should get something like Palmer's Cocoa Butter with Vitamin E and apply it daily to help reduce the visibility of the scars.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 11:51:15 PM by nukem2k5 »

Offline NoMoreBoobies

• Posting Member
Most incisions are made at the bottom of the areola.  Lipo is then done by a small insicion by the armpit.  This is just the most common that I have seen

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
that was what I expected - that it would just be under the bottom,  but what I think he did, was go  under the bottom and then extend horizontally for a wider incision area.

I'll see tomorrow.

"Palmer's Cocoa Butter?"  I haven't heard of it. Would you say that this is the best product for scar prevention?  I was planning to use Vitamin E.  But if this is even better, I should give it a try.

DrBermant

that was what I expected - that it would just be under the bottom,  but what I think he did, was go  under the bottom and then extend horizontally for a wider incision area.

I'll see tomorrow.

"Palmer's Cocoa Butter?"  I haven't heard of it. Would you say that this is the best product for scar prevention?  I was planning to use Vitamin E.  But if this is even better, I should give it a try.

There are many scar care products on the market. Here is a link to many different options.  What may be best for your scars is better discussed with your own doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Spleen

Mederma is good.  Vitamin E is good.  Also, try those gel bandages.  they can really help flatten a scar.

I can't figure out why a doc would make an incision under the nipple when the periareolar incision is such a proven success.

Offline nukem2k5

The Cocoa Butter I mentioned is Cocoa Butter with Vitamin E.

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
I picked up Mederma.

The surgeon made a cut around the top of the areola and then out a bit horizontally.

He wasn't a ps.  He was a general surgeon.  And I think there might have been a lack of experience with this particular surgery.  

Sure he's performed it many times, but that doesn't mean it was the best choice of operations.

Hopefully, it will be easier to turn over to my insurance company, since it was not performed by a cosmetic surgeon.

Offline allbah

• Bronze Member
I have the worst scar position. it is around 1 inch below the areola. and around 3 inches wide in semi circular shape.

its usaually invesible under the chest hair.

I have been using dermatrix (silicon based) for 2 weeks with good results.
one can never prepare to win a war, but one can prepare not to be defeated.

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
I have the worst scar position. it is around 1 inch below the areola. and around 3 inches wide in semi circular shape.

its usaually invesible under the chest hair.

I have been using dermatrix (silicon based) for 2 weeks with good results.

that's interesting.  Do you have any before/after pics showing the progress of your scar fading away?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024