Author Topic: Average Cost in Australia  (Read 17452 times)

Offline Squish33

• Posting Member
Hey Guys
Just saw another PS and got my total cost to be approx $9000 (including PS/ Hospital/ Anisth)
I was none-the-less shocked by how much expecting around the 6-7G mark.
The PS alone was $6500 :/

Anyone else have costs from surgery in Australia?

I can't really afford to spend air fairs/ accommodation traveling around so the 9G is looking my only option and I was happy with my PS this time around.

Offline Squish33

• Posting Member
to add on...
I'm a poor uni student so 9G is insane amounts for me... I've saved up 5G so far and thought I only had 1-2 to go.
Is there any Australian plan that covers Gyno or insurance? (here's hoping lol)

Offline aleksandar

• Posting Member
I agree mate, it's insane. My quote is 8,500 and I took an ANZ loan with even more insane interest rate to cover the cost. I'm having the surgery early next year. My surgeon's fee (Sue) was two years ago 2000, now it's 4,000. How do you increase your fee 100% in two years? All they care is money. This forum I guess it's partly responsible, as she has so many more patients. But at least we know where to go.  Add to the 8,500 my hotel in Melbourne (10 days), airfares, and you get to a preposterous amount. As if it is our fault that we have gynecomastia. And I am really frustrated by the fact that they force you to sleep in the "clinic", paying $400 for the night if you don't have someone with you. They wouldn't let you take a taxi and release you from the hospital unless someone is with you. For $400 you can sleep 2 nights in a 5-star hotel and even pay for a nurse. Just another way to cash. My quote even says that if more time is needed, for every additional 15 min during the surgery they will charge additional $350. The insanity doesn't end.

The cost seems to be almost DOUBLE that of the States and Europe on average, where you will find top surgeons, maybe even much much better than here.. I don't know what's wrong with this country. You can even travel to LA from Melbourne for 1,000 in the low season (return ticket), get the surgery with a top surgeon, pay for the hotel and still be better off. I hope Sue and everyone else thinks about this before they further raise their fees. But understandably, most of us don't want to go that far to get a surgery.

At least I figured out how to cover the cost. I really feel for people who can't. Good luck mate, and consider a loan if you have a part time job and can pay, say, 100 per week. It may be worth it more than waiting...I hope it is the right decision for me. Now I'll focus on positive thoughts and hope and pray for the best, rather than get frustrated about money. Accept what you can't change. All I wanted to say is that I feel your pain.

Offline Squish33

• Posting Member
Yeah man that's the way to be positive and just think of how better things are going to get. I was opting to travel down south but figured with airfares and accom. might as well just pay the extra up here... I'm from a kinda rural place in Nth Qld so my PS travels to a few towns which is most likely the reason for the extra cost.

And yea it sucks that it is more in Australia than in ENG/ USA... not to mention NZ and Canada the government pays for the OP because it's recognized under their health plan thingy.

Owell can't change these things so just gotta deal with the cards you're dealt
Best of luck!

Offline aleksandar

• Posting Member
No mate, I'm actually paying $800 something for the room. I was only quoting the night $400 on top of the day $400. Honestly, you can stay up to 10 days in a good hotel in Melbourne for that money. Go to wotif.com and you'll see. This is supposed to be a "clinic", a medical institution. Even if it's private. They are supposed to care for all, the poor sick and the rich sick. That's their trade. How come all they care is rip people off and make extra profits? Their actual cost for the room may be 10 times less. Doctors also take what is called Hippocratic Oath when they graduate promising that that they will cure and care for all, rich or poor. Here in Australia it turns out that doctors when they graduate should rather promise that they will make profit and more profit, regardless of the consequences and the suffering they may cause.

You're right : they're using the most basic surgical instruments for this surgery, not some state-of-art electronic surgical robots. Their fees are not justifiable.

I hope Australia catches up with Canada, France, Sweden and the rest of the developed world. One day, 100 years from now, I don't know. In many developed countries dental care for example is free of charge. Even the most complicated procedures. Do your research. I paid here $1,000 for a root canal. Another example: In Austria, my sister gets 2 years paid maternity leave (100% of salary). It has been like that for decades. Australia introduces now, in 21 century, in 2011 maternity leave for the first time!!! and it's pathetic - what is it, 4 months? Why can a Swedish or Austrian woman stay with her child until they are two, but not an Australian woman who has to quickly go back to work and slave for some company that will post multi-billion dollar profits at the end of the year? I can give you 100 more examples. Here you even have to pay for emergency transport (say you're having a heart attack) from your home to a hospital, if you don't have private insurance! And pay big money, the minimum is around $300 I heard on the radio.

I find Australians too content with what we have and we never compare ourselves to the rest of the world, thinking this is the greatest country. Rich people are making extraordinary profits in the meantime. I encourage people to start reading and start travelling and you'll see the difference is striking. Again, why should we save so hard and suffer so long in the meantime for this simple gynecomastia surgery? Why should your relative pay $920 for the cancer scan? What if she wasn't able to afford it? The answer is simple - she wouldn't have got the scan. It's scandalous.  I had a diagnostic procedures myself last year in a private hospital that cost me much of my savings at that time (I was a full time student). I could have used the money to pay for a holiday. When I tell my friends back in Europe, they cannot believe I am talking about Australia, and not some third-world country.

Why should your private insurer have the power to bully you into waiting 12 months before you can claim your medical costs? It's not like conditions and illnesses can wait, it's not like you can time when you'll get sick or need a surgery like this one.

The reason why I am angry is because this is a rich and powerful country, an advanced economy. We should know better than be indifferent and accept this crap of a health system.

Anyway, focus on healing mate. And on the beautiful day when you'll wake up gyno-free. And come back to this forum after the surgery to share your experience. I find many people here are active until they get the surgery, and then we do not hear from them unless there is a problem they need to discuss. The truth is we, awaiting surgery anxiously, can all use a word of encouragement. We are all scared, more or less. I have better things to do than post here on a Saturday afternoon, but the fact is I am scared from time to time, and come here to seek positive experiences above all, not criticize. And considering how overbooked Sue is, there must be 100s of success stories out there who can ease our mind as our day of the surgery is approaching.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:14:56 AM by aleksandar »

Offline alanelmasri

• Posting Member
guys, I just paid $4500 in NSW...

jimmyC

@ alanelmasri

where abouts in NSW? everywhere ive seen has been around 10k.

Offline amyo

• Posting Member
I just had mine done in WA with Dr Hewitt and it only cost me just over $2k!

Keep in mind, I do have private health insurance with HBF, but it is not some super expensive one. It is just their bare-bones minimum policy, the "Singles Super-Saver" plan or something.

Original consultation was around $160 (roughly, dont remember the exact price). However you can get $70 back if you have a referral from a GP. I DIDN'T have a referral but Dr Hewitt rang a Dr friend of his and got them to do me one up, so i ended up getting the $70 back anyway.
So it only cost me $90 after the refund.

Cost of Surgery was $3000, which I had to pay up front. However, I then got $670 back from Medicare, plus another $205 back from my private health fund HBF. So it was only about $2100 out of pocket. Plus i also wanted to get 3 moles removed, which Dr Hewitt threw in for free!

Aneasthatist fee was $1200, but they sent this directly to HBF and i didnt have to pay a thing.

The fee for the hospital was also sent directly to HBF, and I just had to pay a check-in fee of about $80.

So at the end of the day, in total, after all the rebates, it only cost me about $2300, and that included having some moles removed.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024