Author Topic: How long for the body to absorb post-op fluid?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
I recently saw my doctor, and he said that the fluid build up wasn't a problem, and did not need to be drained.

However it is continuing to build.  He said it would absorb naturally into the body.

For those of you post-ops out there.  How long did you notice it took for the fluid to stop building?  And were you able to notice the rate at which it was absorbed (if it wasn't drained?)

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
I just did some research about post op mastectomy, where a doctor wrote that fluid build up could last for a year or even more.

Yikes!!!  The doctor has told me there was no need to drain.  But I don't want to go a year with this water balloon in my right breast.

How long did your fluid build up last.  I hope I'll get a more realistic opinion.  You can't believe everything you read, and people here have the experience that I prefer to trust.

Offline dasco456

• Posting Member
i had mine drained about 3 times now its hard scar tissue

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
How do you know if it is fluid buildup or an uneven lipo?

Offline puffynips0-

• Bronze Member
It progressively gets worse dailey and jiggles around like a water balloon.

I mean it's REALLY like a water baloon.  I don't see how it could be mistaken.

Offline allbah

• Bronze Member
if you feel very bloated, go and get it aspirated with a needle and a syringe by your surgeon under sterile conditions. If he/she is unsure he/she could get ultrasound scan to confirm.
I have spoken in details about fluid buildup post op but I cant remember which thread! Time depends on the type and cause of fluid. I dont want to commet my self to an answer because its variable but from my own experience, my right breast was sorted in 2 weeks and the left took 7 weeks! but please note that swelling does remain for months occasionally not usually due to fluid accumulation but due to soft tissue edema (fluid in the tissue not around it).
you will also notice that your chest will be flat in the morning and starts swelling throughout the day, this is expected and may last up to 12 months.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 09:14:36 AM by allbah »
one can never prepare to win a war, but one can prepare not to be defeated.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024