Author Topic: Bra alterations  (Read 343 times)

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Bra alterations: I guess what that means to most people, is adjusting the straps, or using a tighter column of eyes if the band is too loose, or using an extender if the band is too tight.

A while ago I was going through a phase of buying Naturana bras. They catered for large band/small cup sizes in cotton rich material, mainly wirefree, with strap adjusters closer to the cup rather than the band, making them more invisible from behind. I originally bought this in a 40B and it was a horrible thing. Too tight, narrow band, narrow straps, it just didn't work. My wife became interested in this style and we then bought a 40D for her and a 42B for me (they didn't make a 42A, my sister size, in that style). She didn't like hers; it is a light duty bra and it went to charity. The 42B fitted me much better than the 40B and I still have it and wear it occasionally, but it is more of a sling that holds t-shirt material over my boobs more than anything else, and it does nothing for sideboob. So, knowing that in this particular brand 42 was my band size, I bought this in a 42A. It was a much better bra. Properly structured, wide straps still adjustable from the front, wider band, beautifully soft against my skin. Unfortunately, similar to the other style, the hook/eye enclosure was only 2 x 2. This bra was also much stretchier than the other style, so the 42A was actually somewhat loose, even on the inner eyes! What to do...

So, after wearing it for the first time in ages recently, I had a good think about it. What if I got my wife, who is pretty handy with a sewing machine, to alter it? Looking at the bra closely, like any others with a U-back, the band tapers up from the hook/eye enclosure. I was wanting to shorten the band, so what we came up with was this - we had a spare 3 x 3 extender, which she separated between the 1 x 3 hook component and the 3 x 3 eye component. I chopped the existing band on both ends beyond the original enclosure at a point where the width of the band then suited the 3 x 3, and my wife sewed on the newly separated components of the extender. Voila! :D

Sorry, no pics, but I now have a pretty and soft bra that is virtually 40A in a style and structure that I like and it fits like a glove! ;D

Has anyone else performed surgery on their bras and come up with an equally good result? ;)

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
Bra alterations: I guess what that means to most people, is adjusting the straps, or using a tighter column of eyes if the band is too loose, or using an extender if the band is too tight.

A while ago I was going through a phase of buying Naturana bras. They catered for large band/small cup sizes in cotton rich material, mainly wirefree, with strap adjusters closer to the cup rather than the band, making them more invisible from behind. I originally bought this in a 40B and it was a horrible thing. Too tight, narrow band, narrow straps, it just didn't work. My wife became interested in this style and we then bought a 40D for her and a 42B for me (they didn't make a 42A, my sister size, in that style). She didn't like hers; it is a light duty bra and it went to charity. The 42B fitted me much better than the 40B and I still have it and wear it occasionally, but it is more of a sling that holds t-shirt material over my boobs more than anything else, and it does nothing for sideboob. So, knowing that in this particular brand 42 was my band size, I bought this in a 42A. It was a much better bra. Properly structured, wide straps still adjustable from the front, wider band, beautifully soft against my skin. Unfortunately, similar to the other style, the hook/eye enclosure was only 2 x 2. This bra was also much stretchier than the other style, so the 42A was actually somewhat loose, even on the inner eyes! What to do...

So, after wearing it for the first time in ages recently, I had a good think about it. What if I got my wife, who is pretty handy with a sewing machine, to alter it? Looking at the bra closely, like any others with a U-back, the band tapers up from the hook/eye enclosure. I was wanting to shorten the band, so what we came up with was this - we had a spare 3 x 3 extender, which she separated between the 1 x 3 hook component and the 3 x 3 eye component. I chopped the existing band on both ends beyond the original enclosure at a point where the width of the band then suited the 3 x 3, and my wife sewed on the newly separated components of the extender. Voila! :D

Sorry, no pics, but I now have a pretty and soft bra that is virtually 40A in a style and structure that I like and it fits like a glove! ;D

Has anyone else performed surgery on their bras and come up with an equally good result? ;)
Doing mending for many of the CNA's that grace my flat, I have mended quite a few bras. 

I believe the last one was a bra the lady had bought with the wrong band size (cups fit perfectly). 
The band was inches off, so we pinched off equal amounts on both sides under the arm area and double stitched it. In just minutes she had a proper fitting bra without having to go through the process of returning. A few adjustments in the straps, and I sent her on her way. 
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline Xeros

Check out r/aBraThatFits and r/MAKEaBraThatFits on Reddit.  There is a ton of info and helpful people.

Upfront

We come right round the circle and back to the old  chestnut.
Cut it which ever way you like there is NO substitute for a proper fitting by a skilled SA.
The one I know best can pretty much get you to a very close fit and size just by eying you up. Breasts are such complex 3D organs for size and texture that it is almost a joke to think a tape measure or chart alone is going to get you sorted.
Perhaps 3D computerised scanning might come in ere long, perhaps even on your home PC.
Until then the gold standard is a skilled fitter who knows when to ignore the tape measure

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024