Author Topic: I need your help.  (Read 2508 times)

Offline squashmypuffies

I have what you commonly refer to on these board as 'puffy nipples'.  I am a 28 year old male who has lived with this condition since it manifested itself during puberty.   I used to hate myself for it and as such i have zero confidence which results in me shunning a social life and female attention even though im not short on offers.  For years i just stuck my head in the sand and tried to ignore it even though i knew it was the cause of all my anxiety and depression.  Its only in the last year that i have come to terms with the condition and managed to tell someone about it even though they're only a family member.  I still have yet to pluck up the courage to see a medical proffessional to get something done about it since this condition has me so mentally screwed up that i clam up just thinking about it.

I have quite a stocky build and since i dont really excersise i can pinch about an inch of fat on some places of my body but im certainly not overwieght by any means since i fit into a size 32 jeans (UK size which is basically average).   However my chest is a different story since i have nipples that go from flat and tiny whilst cold to more than double that width at nearly 2 inches in diameter and almost an inch 'tall' when relaxed and warm.    Whilst my nipples are quite soft when relaxed i can definitely feel breast tissue underneath which feels a little lumpy.

My first real question is that I am just wondering which surgery would give me the best looking results for a non puffy looking chest?  Under the arms?  Nipple excision?  I'm really not too bothered with the amount of fat on my chest as it feels only slightly above what it should be.  However i absolutely detest the way that my nipples stick out to the point where i never go topless even when alone.  I even wear shirts in bed and never look down when i change my tops.  I am worried that nipple excision will cause some scarring in a really visable place though.

My second question is do i have to go and see a G.P. before i go see a surgeon?  I live in the UK and as such i would like to know if G.P. referals are a requirement for a consultation with a surgeon?

Thirdly  since i find it really difficult to talk about this condition what do i say when it comes to picking up the phone and contacting a surgeon for a consultation?  I would like to know what to ask when i phone since i am likely to clam up during the conversation if my mind goes blank??

Your help is most welcome...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:04:28 AM by squashmypuffies »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
First of all, the girls are more interested in what you have between your ears than what is on your chest.

So get out there and get a date.

Many years ago some friends (?) fixed me up with a blind date. I'm sure they were laughing to themselves because the girl was quite flat-chested and my breasts were larger than hers. She and I had a good laugh as well and we were best of friends for a long time.

I am now a grandpa 68 years of age and still have the breasts so I am not the best person to try to answer your questions about surgery.
Grandpa Dan

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello squashmypuffies

It all depends on whether you want to go NHS or private.  However, I would always recommend you see you GP in the first instance.  GPs are generally quite ignorant on Gynaecomastia - not deliberately so, but they just see so few people coming to them about it.  I was the first patient my GP ever had regarding gynaecomastia.

Explain to your GP your concern.  He or she will probably want to have a look (though many would not really know what they are looking for).  Tell your GP (if they don't say it first) that you are aware that Gynaecomastia is sometimes hormone related and would like a referral to an endocrinologist or urologist to run some hormonal checks just to rule out any underlying cause.  THIS IS IMPORTANT - if there is an underlying cause (such as hypogonadism - low testosterone) there is the possibility your case may get worse or return after any future surgery.

If you are thinking about NHS surgery, you need two things.  Firstly, a sympathetic GP.  Secondly you need to explain how this condition effects you PSYCHOLOGICALLY.  If you turn up to you GP and say "I don't like my chest, can I have some liposuction please?" you'll be laughed out of the surgery as this would be deemed to be a cosmetic need only.

You need to explain how it effects your daily life, such as having to make sure you wear loose and dark clothing ALL the time; walked with hunched shoulders to 'hide' your breasts and often have your arms folded in front of you.  Say how you NEVER take your top off in public or take holidays to hot places; how it effects your sex life that you have no confidence with sexual partners.  These are good grounds for having corrective (rather than cosmetic) surgery.

If after this you do not get the support you need from your GP, go to the surgery reception and make an appointment with another GP (it's no guarantee, but I'd feel more comfortable with a younger female GP if there is one at your practice - they are often more understanding).  If there is not another suitable GP at your current practice, switch to a different (larger) one, you have the right to do this.

If you go NHS, it is not you that contacts the surgeon - it's your GP.  The surgeon's secretary would then write to you in due course.  If after the initial consultation with the surgeon, you are not happy (because you don't think he or she is experienced enough in male chest reduction procedures for example), go back to you GP.  It's your right for to a re-referral to another surgeon if you and your GP agree that the first choice was not the most appropriate (not a lot of people know this!)

If you intend to go private, still do all the initial GP thing - endo/urol test etc.  You then need to make an appointment with two or three surgeons for an initial consultation.  You simply pick up the phone, ask for the secretary of the relevant surgeon.  It's NO DIFFERENT to calling reception of your own GP.  All you need to say is "Hello, I'd like an initial consultation with Mr X (all surgeons are usually 'Mr') sometime soon please.  If you are asked for what kind of treatment, you are not obliged to say, but it's no big deal to just say "regarding male chest reduction surgery."  That's it.  An appointment will be made and you should be advised of the fee which is usually around £80-£120.

As for 'what kind of surgery', this depends of the preferred technique of the individual surgeon.  Most go via the areola - the edge of the larger brown area that surround the nipple.  A crescent cut is usually made here and the surgeon cuts out the offending glandular or breast tissue.  Following this, liposuction of fat is usually indicated and removed from here.  Scarring is a possibility, but with modern techniques, they usually fade very well over a few months.

More recently, but less used is through an incision near the armpit crease.  The same work described above is carried out, but in this alternative place.  I had this surgery performed on myself in January this year.  the scars are about 1.5cm long, but not noticeable unless pointed out.  They will continue to fade over the coming months.  It's not really so much where or how the surgery is performed, but more to do with the skill of the surgeon and your body's ability to heal.

Everyone feels nervous about that first call.  Everyone feels really anxious on the first initial consultation - but remember, these guys do this for a living and whilst they are highly skilled and want a high level of patient satisfaction - you are just the next piece of meat for them to butcher up!

Hope that helps.  Feel free to message me if you have other questions.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 05:39:34 AM by phantom »

Offline j0nathan

• Posting Member
Hi there.

You sound exactly like me except that I am 38 years old not 28. I am looking for a surgeon in Thailand as I live in Singapore.

As I have puffy nipples I am trying to decide between nipple or armpit as I am worried about scarring.

It looks like the cost will be something like 2000 USD + airfare and accomodation in Bangkok.

Good luck - I wish I had decided to do this 10 years ago! Go for it you will not regret it.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
First of all, the girls are more interested in what you have between your ears than what is on your chest.

So get out there and get a date.

Many years ago some friends (?) fixed me up with a blind date. I'm sure they were laughing to themselves because the girl was quite flat-chested and my breasts were larger than hers. She and I had a good laugh as well and we were best of friends for a long time.

I am now a grandpa 68 years of age and still have the breasts so I am not the best person to try to answer your questions about surgery.

Not according to my research. Where can I meet these girls, and how old are we talking?

DrBermant

I have what you commonly refer to on these board as 'puffy nipples'.  I am a 28 year old male who has lived with this condition since it manifested itself during puberty.   I used to hate myself for it and as such i have zero confidence which results in me shunning a social life and female attention even though im not short on offers.  For years i just stuck my head in the sand and tried to ignore it even though i knew it was the cause of all my anxiety and depression.  Its only in the last year that i have come to terms with the condition and managed to tell someone about it even though they're only a family member.  I still have yet to pluck up the courage to see a medical proffessional to get something done about it since this condition has me so mentally screwed up that i clam up just thinking about it.

I have quite a stocky build and since i dont really excersise i can pinch about an inch of fat on some places of my body but im certainly not overwieght by any means since i fit into a size 32 jeans (UK size which is basically average).   However my chest is a different story since i have nipples that go from flat and tiny whilst cold to more than double that width at nearly 2 inches in diameter and almost an inch 'tall' when relaxed and warm.    Whilst my nipples are quite soft when relaxed i can definitely feel breast tissue underneath which feels a little lumpy.

My first real question is that I am just wondering which surgery would give me the best looking results for a non puffy looking chest?  Under the arms?  Nipple excision?  I'm really not too bothered with the amount of fat on my chest as it feels only slightly above what it should be.  However i absolutely detest the way that my nipples stick out to the point where i never go topless even when alone.  I even wear shirts in bed and never look down when i change my tops.  I am worried that nipple excision will cause some scarring in a really visable place though.

My second question is do i have to go and see a G.P. before i go see a surgeon?  I live in the UK and as such i would like to know if G.P. referals are a requirement for a consultation with a surgeon?

Thirdly  since i find it really difficult to talk about this condition what do i say when it comes to picking up the phone and contacting a surgeon for a consultation?  I would like to know what to ask when i phone since i am likely to clam up during the conversation if my mind goes blank??
Your help is most welcome...

"Puffy Nipples" is a common public term for gynecomastia.  Options for treatment depend on the problem to be sculpted.

The problem is the the term puffy nipples is a phrase that mean so many different things to so many different people.  Words just do not convey the actual problem very well - images do a little better, but still are not the same as an actual in office evaluation with your doctor.

Putting up pictures (using standard views before and after surgery) is one way to discuss what the problem was before surgery and what has happened.   Options depend on what is really going on.

Let us try to look what I mean by the problem of the words only descriptions.  "Large nips", "puffy nipples," "puffed nipples,"  and "puffy nips" are a common terms many give to a problem that extends to the region about the areola.   The nipple is actually the central raised structure inside the pigmented areola.

"Puffed nipples" can be a problem for some that involves long nipples above the areola where nipple reduction alone helps.

"Puffy Nipps" can be a problem behind the areola that can take many forms.  The deformity is usually a varying combination of fat and gland.  The gland can be firm or soft, spread through fat, or be a condensed mass.  There is a thin muscle under the areola skin that can flatten tissue when stimulated. Unfortunately it is impractical to keep stimulating these muscles.

In many of these patients with "puffy nipples," there was no firm tissue under the areola, just fat and soft gland.  Here is one example of puffy nipples in a muscular male.  Here is another example of   puffed nipples.  Here is another patient with puffy nipple gynecomastia.

"Puffy Nipples" can also be a combination of gynecomastia and big nipples.  

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 12:21:52 PM by DrBermant »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024