Author Topic: Breast Atrophy?  (Read 5834 times)

Offline whhhyyyyyy

This is probably a dumb question but I think it is worth knowing why it would be wrong: Can estrogen deficiency cause breast atrophy, and if so, can this be used to reduce gynecomastia?

I have hardly studied enough on breast atrophy issues to make an educated guess, so I am asking you guys. I figure if a condition causes breast atrophy, -- maybe not even estrogen deficiency -- can that condition be used to intentionally reduce breast size.

Personally, I am 17 years old with not much breast tissue but large, puffy nipples.  :(

Sort of off-topic, but I take lexapro for depression and I see a psychiatrist. I personally don't believe my depression is simply a chemical imbalance but I wouldn't refuse the medication. Yes, I have been suicidal before, but not primarily due to anxiety resulting from gynecomastia -- although it has left me out of the social loop abandoning me with a psychiatrist whom I pay 50 bucks a meeting to learn how to socially interact like I'm some sort of...etc

My father strongly discourages doing surgery and tells me of how it can cause cancer and other severe issues later in life. Whatever the case, considering my possibly lethal, unstable mental condition, is it wise for my father to refuse to offer surgery IYHO (in your humble opinion)?

Another question: What does fibrous mean? I am confused with the whole issue of once the gland goes fibrous, surgery is the only option. Does fibrous mean hard or soft like fat?

whhhyyyyyy
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:03:35 PM by antillusion »

Offline webster

• Silver Member
Hi, IMO the whole issue of dealing with gyno thru hormone treatment is complex. Oestrogen levels have something to do with it but there are many other factors involved. U need professional guidance on a course of action so as not to f*ck yourself up. Look up tamoxifen treatment though. That has been promising.

Your dad sounds like he worries for you that you might rush into surgery without thinking it thru? So you need to do alot of research to find the right PS and that will give you time to be sure... 17 is a bit young for surgery although others have had it at that age. 18 - 20 is more usual, to be sure hormones have settled.

'Fibrous' refers to the consistency of the gland. When it has been there for some time it becomes established, harder and not v. responsive to changes in hormone levels which caused its appearance in the first place. Thats why surgeryy is the usual course for removal.

Never heard of surgery causing cancer, etc.

Whatever, gyno is a mental head-f*uck. Most people who don't suffer cannot understand. So make sure you do what is right for you. If it goes well surgery is a pretty easy and total solution.  But make sure you take the time to be certain what you are doing.

GL.    Webster.

Offline Hypo-is-here

I concur with Webster.

Whhhyyyyy,

I think the first thing you need to do is make a consultation with a good reproductive endocrinologist in your area.

Reproductive endocrinologists are experts in hormones and gynecomastia and they can try and ascertain why you have developed the condition, something that is important before considering any options for its removal.

Given your history of depression and antidepressant medication, the above is even more important.

I say this because depression and gynecomastia can sometimes be caused by hypogonadism or thyroid disorders, so it is sensible to have such matters ruled out.

If you had one of these conditions you would need it diagnosed and treated for your well-being before having the gynecomastia removed or medicated against so that the gynecomastia does not recur.

The above conditions aren't likely but possible and sensible to rule out.

Also some antidepressant medications can themselves be a cause of gynecomastia, again this is something that could be checked out by a good reproductive endocrinologist.  Where a given antidepressant is deemed to be causative of gynecomastia alternative medications can usually be found that are less of a problem.

If you need help obtaining details for reproductive endocrinologists, just let me know what city and state you are in and I’ll try and get a list/relevant contact details for you.

Like Webster, I would strongly suggest not mucking around with hormonal medications yourself.  You don't not know why you have gynecomastia and excess estrogen may not be the issue at all, in which case lowering it could cause more problems than it solves.

I have been helping a few people this week who used various hormonal meds to their cost in terms of unwanted side-effects, some more unlucky than others.

Going back to the endocrinology for a moment, I would say that the following would be useful pathology in your situation;

LH
Testosterone (preferably free testosterone)
SHBG
Estradiol
Prolactin
Dihydrotestosterone
TSH
Free T4
Free T3

I wouldn't have thought you need much more than that unless you have any symptoms of ill health other than the depression.  Though a consultation with previously said professional may lead to one or two additional tests.

If all is well and your med isn’t an issue then you and your endocrinologist can consider your options.

P.S

Glandular gynecomastia becomes fibrous after the developmental/proliferation phase (about a year and a half to two years), after this point the tissue tends to be less responsive to hormonal medications.  

Fibrous means tough.

I hope that helps.

Offline whhhyyyyyy

thx to both of you, webster and hypo.

Just to clear things up again...sry...my nipples feel pretty much like big air pockets. Does that mean they are not fibrous?

I just wish my father would realize that I am different and even though he has it and doesn't care whatsoever, I DO care. Whatever...

whhhyyyyyy

Offline webster

• Silver Member
Whhhhhy wrote:
Just to clear things up again...sry...my nipples feel pretty much like big air pockets. Does that mean they are not fibrous?

Webster suggests: if you mean your breast tissues are soft and you can't feel solid lumps in there then I would suggest that either your condition is mainly fat or that the gland you have is not that fibrous (yet?). Whatever you gotta get a consult with a professional who knows what they are on about.

Good luck ya.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024